U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM

18 posts, read 5,645 times

Advertisements

Go into the mens section of any department store and all you see is pineapples and flamingos on everything?

There's nothing wrong with this. I'm just curious about the background of this trend. It's almost as annoying as the emojis-on-everything trend a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM

32,240 posts, read 59,265,579 times
I'm assuming these are summer clothes? Because ... Summer's coming.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

5,087 posts, read 7,740,910 times
I have seen this trend for the past few years in spring/summer collections, one of my shirts from spring 2017 is a pink oxford button-down shirt with green pelican print (yes, I know these aren't flamingoes, but I have seen quite a few similar trends in spring/summer fashion).

Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 2,165,500 times
I think you're supposed to think "retro Hawaiian shirt". At least, that's what I think, when I see these prints. (Personally, I think they're fun.)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 AM

10,210 posts, read 14,085,039 times
It's not just menswear. Every year our store gets 'themes' for party decor and novelty items, guess what the theme is for this summer? Pineapples, flamingos and cacti.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM

26,181 posts, read 5,446,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have seen this trend for the past few years in spring/summer collections, one of my shirts from spring 2017 is a pink oxford button-down shirt with green pelican print (yes, I know these aren't flamingoes, but I have seen quite a few similar trends in spring/summer fashion).

I wish you'd post some pics of your interesting pink clothes.....

Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM

18,484 posts, read 22,940,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
Go into the mens section of any department store and all you see is pineapples and flamingos on everything?

There's nothing wrong with this. I'm just curious about the background of this trend. It's almost as annoying as the emojis-on-everything trend a few years back.
Small pineapples have always been a staple of men's preppy clothes and golf wear.

The Flamingo motif has been out for a few years now - or longer. My husband bought a shirt like that a few Summers ago.

They are just fun and I like them! If you do not, there are plenty of clothes without these motifs that are available.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM

6,065 posts, read 3,019,984 times
The tiny pineapple prints (or flamingos or palm trees) have been on polo shirts for years, and they've always screamed "obnoxious preppy" to me. In the past two years or so they've been showing up on casual pants and shorts, which....is a different level of eye-roll in my opinion, but I assume is the natural progression of preppy types who want to feel like they're pushing the envelope. I doubt Muffy or Buffy will refuse to be seen at the country club with Chip wearing those silly clothes. I mean, look at the ridiculous "fashions" worn on golf courses over the decades. But the average guy might take a bit more convincing.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:51 PM

5,087 posts, read 7,740,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I wish you'd post some pics of your interesting pink clothes.....
Here is my pink pelican print shirt.
Attached Thumbnails
What's with the sudden high popularity of Pineapples and Flamingos in mens fashion?-izod-fairy-tale-pelican-print.jpg  

Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 AM

121 posts, read 36,144 times
Out of idle curiosity, I did a google image search for men’s summer shirts. Sure enough the first result (top left corner) had pineapples all over it. LOL

It doesn’t really bother me. In fact, I’d love to have my husband experiment a little more with fashion. His rule of thumb is never wear shirts with more than two colors in them with white and black included as colors. So, white with blue stripes = OK. But white with blue and green stripes = not OK. Oh yes, and solid pink is not an option. Yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty