U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:05 AM

10,035 posts, read 4,673,586 times

Advertisements

What is the difference in shellac and gel? I was doing acrylics then the last two times I did the dipping stuff which lasts a long time and stays shiny. However it's $40 where an acrylic fill is $16. What I don't like about the dip is having to soak the nails in acetone to remove it. I usually go every 3 weeks but really should go every other week because my nails grow fast and the new growth is very noticeable. I also like to change the polish color (I only use OPI) in that 3 weeks as I get tired of the same color very quickly unless it's a French which apparently is "dated" {rolling my eyes}.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 AM

9,438 posts, read 4,770,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What is the difference in shellac and gel?
They're essentially the same thing ... Shellac just refers to a specific brand (CND)

Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 PM

6,011 posts, read 13,044,787 times
I've learned to always bring my own polish (I use OPI) as well as bottom coat and top coat products, because I began to notice too often that when the polish at the salons were getting low, I would see people add some sort of liquid to them to make them last longer - to get more out of the bottle. I don't want to pay for a mani or pedi using watered-down polish.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I've learned to always bring my own polish (I use OPI) as well as bottom coat and top coat products, because I began to notice too often that when the polish at the salons were getting low, I would see people add some sort of liquid to them to make them last longer - to get more out of the bottle. I don't want to pay for a mani or pedi using watered-down polish.
I believe I would stop going there altogether. If they're watering down their polish, I can't help but wonder what other short cuts they're taking?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM

34,574 posts, read 10,195,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've been really happy with ILNP polishes, but they primarily sell holos, chromes, and shimmers.

I like that brand, too (I Love Nail Polish, for those new to the brand). I'm particularly fond of "Juliette," a shimmery rose gold shade. I use two coats, and it's perfect--looks beautiful under restaurant lighting and our chandeliers lol, and in the sunlight. I get it on Amazon.

I also like Sally Hanson and OPI.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I believe I would stop going there altogether. If they're watering down their polish, I can't help but wonder what other short cuts they're taking?
Well I mainly go for the hot stone massage, soak, massage, cuticle trimming (because I can't for the life of me figure out how to deal with my own cuticles...)... so really the only thing left is the polish, so I bring that when I want polish. Sometimes I just want the exfoliation, hot stone massage, cuticle, etc. The place I go there is one man who has really nice strong hands and does a really great leg and foot massage! It's well worth the $25.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Well I mainly go for the hot stone massage, soak, massage, cuticle trimming (because I can't for the life of me figure out how to deal with my own cuticles...)... so really the only thing left is the polish, so I bring that when I want polish. Sometimes I just want the exfoliation, hot stone massage, cuticle, etc. The place I go there is one man who has really nice strong hands and does a really great leg and foot massage! It's well worth the $25.
But are they taking shortcuts on sanitation steps? Are they properly sanitizing those cuticle clippers? Have the hot stones been cleaned since the last client? Has the tub been properly cleaned each time?

Old 05-03-2019, 08:48 PM

6,441 posts, read 7,661,209 times
I recall a previous post about this. In that one I recommended Sally Hansen Miracle Gel. You have to use the polish and the gel top coat. I've found that I have to remove because my nail have grown before it really begins to wear. For me it lasts at least a week/10 days. I've worn it as long as two weeks. The color looked good still but the nails were growing so the cuticle area looked off. Even the tips look pretty good after that amount of time.

I use one of those four sided things to smooth and buff my nails first. Next I remove the oils with nail polish remover. I always do two coats before the top/gel coat.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But are they taking shortcuts on sanitation steps? Are they properly sanitizing those cuticle clippers? Have the hot stones been cleaned since the last client? Has the tub been properly cleaned each time?
The place I go to use the liners and have these little inserts they use where the water flows into the place where you put your feet (foot tubs? foot sinks?) after each person, they remove the spout insert and the liner, scrub the tub, then put in a new liner and insert for the next person and refill. It has always seemed and appeared very clean to me. I've been going there for awhile and have never had a problem. I met our mayor in person there a few months ago, which was pretty cool!

editing to add because I forgot to mention the tools they use - the first time you go, you have to purchase a kit. Then you have to bring your kit back with you each time. It's a cute little kit with everything they use and so you are responsible for washing the tools yourself, which I like. If you forget your kit, though, you have to buy another kit.

The only thing I don't know about are the towels they use and the rocks they use. They steam your legs with a hot moist towel that they microwave. It feels amazing. And they use the hot stones, the really smooth ones, and they give you a massage with the stones. I never thought to ask how they clean those things. I guess I figured they laundered/washed the towels but I don't know about the stones?

Old 05-11-2019, 06:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,964,201 times
Essie TLC....one 'n' done. The sheer shimmer variety. Lasts me a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or