U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 PM

104 posts, read 41,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
There is no end to this kind of working environment. What are we going to do, boycott ALL businesses now? This kind of thing goes on everywhere, it is just when it is brought to the masses attention that the stories and lawsuits and anger from the buying public happen. I know I am influenced by this conglomerate's arrogance and will never buy from any of the named jewelers ever again.

Now, what other businesses can we "out"? Do we really want to know?
I don't know if this goes on everywhere. I have worked for a few companies in the past 10 years and none of them are like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM

77,272 posts, read 69,163,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurprises View Post
I don't know if this goes on everywhere. I have worked for a few companies in the past 10 years and none of them are like this.
I was peripherally involved in a university academic department that was like this. The chair harassed the women students, and over years, married 5 of his students, one after the other! Revolving door. He encouraged visiting faculty--it was a program that had annual visiting artists--to get handsy with the students, as well. Students who turned him down, saw their careers go up in smoke, in the case of grad students. He was a very influential person in his field, so graduates who didn't have a recommendation from him in their file, couldn't get jobs.

Eventually he was promoted to an administrative post, so he no longer had easy access to students. The new Department Chair was one of his former students, so she was strict about not allowing any harassment.

So what I'm trying to illustrate, is that workplaces as crazy as the ones profiled in the OP article may be due to a top dog, who allows and even encourages predatory behavior, regarding the company stores to be his personal sexual playpens. He sets the tone and the example for the other male employees.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:14 PM

Yes, this company's culture is messed up, and the problem is at the top. Too bad the CEO won't get punish.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:07 AM

11,785 posts, read 6,517,035 times
There were reports of a sexually charged frat culture at Planet Fitness main offices, then an employee claimed she was drugged and raped.

I imagine sales women, in certain industries especially, are encouraged to sex it up to make sales and that can lead to all kinds of issues internally as well.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,797,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I vaguely remember hearing about this lawsuit, but wow.

The Company That Sells Love to America Had a Dark Secret
For thousands of women, working at the nationís largest jewelry retailer meant unequal pay, harassment or worse.

The sworn statements, when read from beginning to end, are shocking, first for the consistency of horrors across cities and regions. Then for the egregiousness and audacity of the abuse they detail. But as you make your way through the declarations ó to that of a woman in Missouri who, upon finding her store manager with his penis exposed, was asked if she wanted to join in, or another woman, whose manager felt her up while her boyfriend, also a Sterling employee, was facing another direction ó they become shocking simply for their volume... At the company that has so profoundly contributed to our notions of gauzy romance and surprise Valentineís gifts and new and abundant ways to show a woman how she is treasured?...

Thatís when they went together to the office of an employment lawyer for help. That was nearly 14 years ago... Fourteen years was a long time to abide deep and overt discrimination at your job. Itís also a long time to be a named claimant in a lawsuit, which at one point grew to include nearly 70,000 women. It is a long time for that lawsuit to have made just about no progress toward a resolution. And it is a long time to wonder just how an enormous, publicly traded company was able to keep the details of its working conditions from its shareholders and from the public, and why those secrets might have been the companyís most valuable assets after all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/m...arassment.html
I read the article. Very sad. I would not purchase from any of their stores given the way women are treated.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Status: "The best apology is changed behavior." (set 23 days ago)

3,332 posts, read 3,889,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurprises View Post
Don't be so naive. This has been going on since the beginning of time. Women are just now coming out and telling their stories. You obviously weren't in the "know" at your location. You wouldn't know what went on at other stores or locations within the companies you worked for.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:34 PM

Well, that's just my experience. The places I worked at don't have this type of culture and there were sexual harassment training. There were a couple of incidents that happened to me personally, but I wouldn't called them harassment or anything close to what's described here.

Old Today, 09:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 9,045,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I read the article. Very sad. I would not purchase from any of their stores given the way women are treated.
Sad AND, for me, startling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or