U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM

8,972 posts, read 9,045,892 times

Advertisements

I vaguely remember hearing about this lawsuit, but wow.

The Company That Sells Love to America Had a Dark Secret
For thousands of women, working at the nationís largest jewelry retailer meant unequal pay, harassment or worse.

The sworn statements, when read from beginning to end, are shocking, first for the consistency of horrors across cities and regions. Then for the egregiousness and audacity of the abuse they detail. But as you make your way through the declarations ó to that of a woman in Missouri who, upon finding her store manager with his penis exposed, was asked if she wanted to join in, or another woman, whose manager felt her up while her boyfriend, also a Sterling employee, was facing another direction ó they become shocking simply for their volume... At the company that has so profoundly contributed to our notions of gauzy romance and surprise Valentineís gifts and new and abundant ways to show a woman how she is treasured?...

Thatís when they went together to the office of an employment lawyer for help. That was nearly 14 years ago... Fourteen years was a long time to abide deep and overt discrimination at your job. Itís also a long time to be a named claimant in a lawsuit, which at one point grew to include nearly 70,000 women. It is a long time for that lawsuit to have made just about no progress toward a resolution. And it is a long time to wonder just how an enormous, publicly traded company was able to keep the details of its working conditions from its shareholders and from the public, and why those secrets might have been the companyís most valuable assets after all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/m...arassment.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM

2,262 posts, read 1,017,189 times
Mark Light was an arrogant creep, along with many others.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM

2,588 posts, read 2,305,341 times
Interesting. I almost bought a watch there yesterday. I think I'll look elsewhere now.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 AM

11,785 posts, read 6,517,035 times
What happens when we lose Main Street and our small businesses.

I'd rather buy jewelry from a pawn shop or estate sale than one of those nasty globalist corporations.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Status: "The best apology is changed behavior." (set 23 days ago)

3,332 posts, read 3,889,542 times
Waaaaaay too long to finish reading. Who is Mark Light, I didn't see his name at all in the story, which I read for a long time before scrolling down, I never did reach the end.

IMO, the women need to sue the pants off the company for discrimination and sexual harrassment. But as I read about the "script" to sell the jewelry products to men after being influenced by the Sunday football ads, I have no problem with that, it is a business, after all, and selling jewelry is the reason for the business. Why was this even brought up?

There is no end to this kind of working environment. What are we going to do, boycott ALL businesses now? This kind of thing goes on everywhere, it is just when it is brought to the masses attention that the stories and lawsuits and anger from the buying public happen. I know I am influenced by this conglomerate's arrogance and will never buy from any of the named jewelers ever again.

Now, what other businesses can we "out"? Do we really want to know?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:54 PM

1,079 posts, read 474,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
IMO, the women need to sue the pants off the company for discrimination and sexual harrassment.
They can't. They signed mandatory arbitration clauses as part of their employment agreement, a very common tactic with just about every contract you sign these days. The lawyers are working around that as best they can.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM

77,272 posts, read 69,163,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What happens when we lose Main Street and our small businesses.

I'd rather buy jewelry from a pawn shop or estate sale than one of those nasty globalist corporations.
This. I wouldn't buy jewelry from one of those big chains. I wouldn't trust the quality, for one thing.

I don't get it; where did men get the idea exposing yourself to your co-workers was ok? What are guys like that thinking?!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:02 PM

77,272 posts, read 69,163,628 times
Quote:

IMO, the women need to sue the pants off the company for discrimination and sexual harrassment.
Sounds to me from some of the stories, that their pants are already off, voluntarily. That's the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77;
There is no end to this kind of working environment. What are we going to do, boycott ALL businesses now? This kind of thing goes on everywhere, it is just when it is brought to the masses attention that the stories and lawsuits and anger from the buying public happen. I know I am influenced by this conglomerate's arrogance and will never buy from any of the named jewelers ever again.

Now, what other businesses can we "out"? Do we really want to know?
Yes, they need to be outed. Your reaction reminds me of when incest first came into the public eye as an issue. People were really put off by it, like, "Do we really need to talk about THAT?! ". Well, it turned out to be a good thing, because it enabled a process of public awareness-raising and criminal-justice system reforms, that lead to the rescue of a lot of kids, and that is ongoing, today. Shine a light in dark corners, and you raise public awareness and outrage, which can be liberating to people trapped in those dark corners.

This is how humanity grows and matures. This is how compassion works. It can be messy and unpleasant, and upset some apple carts (deservedly), but the end results are worth it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-30-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 736,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I vaguely remember hearing about this lawsuit, but wow.

The Company That Sells Love to America Had a Dark Secret
For thousands of women, working at the nationís largest jewelry retailer meant unequal pay, harassment or worse.

The sworn statements, when read from beginning to end, are shocking, first for the consistency of horrors across cities and regions. Then for the egregiousness and audacity of the abuse they detail. But as you make your way through the declarations ó to that of a woman in Missouri who, upon finding her store manager with his penis exposed, was asked if she wanted to join in, or another woman, whose manager felt her up while her boyfriend, also a Sterling employee, was facing another direction ó they become shocking simply for their volume... At the company that has so profoundly contributed to our notions of gauzy romance and surprise Valentineís gifts and new and abundant ways to show a woman how she is treasured?...

Thatís when they went together to the office of an employment lawyer for help. That was nearly 14 years ago... Fourteen years was a long time to abide deep and overt discrimination at your job. Itís also a long time to be a named claimant in a lawsuit, which at one point grew to include nearly 70,000 women. It is a long time for that lawsuit to have made just about no progress toward a resolution. And it is a long time to wonder just how an enormous, publicly traded company was able to keep the details of its working conditions from its shareholders and from the public, and why those secrets might have been the companyís most valuable assets after all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/m...arassment.html
The very nature of the markups in these low end retailers indicate there is scum to the very top. I am glad I learned the truth before I entered the market for a diamond.

You do not visit these retailers to purchase a VVS1, IF, or flawless diamond. You might get a 1 ct. with a carbon chip in it in exchange for your tax return, but there's so much better out there.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 1,017,189 times
Quote:
Waaaaaay too long to finish reading. Who is Mark Light, I didn't see his name at all in the story, which I read for a long time before scrolling down, I never did reach the end.
Former CEO. He left for "health issues" in 2017 when **** started hitting the fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or