U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 PM

6,437 posts, read 3,719,075 times

Advertisements

I buy all our wool sweaters from Irish wooleries online. You can order what you want and they make it for you. Great quality! My husband and sons love the sweaters I've gotten for them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 PM

8,853 posts, read 9,008,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So I had a cashmere sweater from Nordstrom. Returned it about 6 months ago. Wearing the new one which is pilling like crazy. Never been washed or dry cleaned. Today I found a hole in the elbow. Sigh. Is there a better place to buy cashmere sweaters that last more than a few months? I am pretty sure Nordstrom would let me return this sweater (again) but I don't think they have a replacement in stock at the moment. (I have looked at their website.)
A good cashmere sweater should last for decades. Suggest you go back to Nordstrom and tell them, because they're famous for their customer service. Go look elsewhere.

There are places that reweave holes, but it's very expensive.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 PM

100 posts, read 39,770 times
You can try Neiman Marcus but not sure if it's worth it. I got a couple of cashmere sweaters there -- there weren't any bad pilling. One of them lasts 3 years and then some holes appear. There other lasts about 5 years without any holes, but now there are a few small ones.

But holes in clothes are in style now, so it's cool

Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 AM

10,982 posts, read 8,238,246 times
DH has a Mr. Rogers cashmere sweater that my mom bought at a garage sale 25 years ago. No telling how old it was. He wears it a lot. It lives on the back of his desk chair. He puts it on and off several times a day from Nov-April.

A couple years ago i thought it would need replacing so I got him one just like it from Land's End. It got holes in it in a year. He still wears the old one from the garage sale. No holes.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 AM

12,854 posts, read 17,449,359 times
My cashmere blazers/sweaters were bought by my parents when I was in my late teens. No damage but one jacket which got tiny moth holes while in a closet in a friend's house in GA.
Cashmere does not go on sale and is not inexpensive. Without the label - you may have a blend with little cashmere. I would try to return the item and start looking for the real thing.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 AM

19,301 posts, read 18,428,051 times
All wool and cashmere will attract moths. That's what causes the holes. If the item is kept clean and is stored properly you won't get holes. I've got cashmere sweaters that I store folded up in a drawer with a few cedar blocks to keep moths away. No holes.

But I did have a beautiful cashmere cardigan that I hung in a closet. No cedar. It got little moth holes in it.

Also, today's cashmere is not as good as the old cashmere because the standards for what cashmere can consist of are not as high, but they are still allowed to call it 100% cashmere. It can be a blend with something else--that might account for the pilling. But the holes are from moths attracted to anything that may have gotten on the sweater just from contact with your skin or from food particles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Cashmere attracts moths and moths are attracted to food stains as well as those stains caused by sweat and body oils.

The article suggests storing cashmere with moth balls, but those are toxic so it's better to just get some little cedar blocks or chips. Fold the sweater and put a few cedar chips inside. If you're not storing it, wash it after every few wears to keep moth eggs out. Just from having been in contact with your body, it will attract moths. Make sure you keep it very clean. Cashmere needs to be cared for.

My husband had a Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater and he wore it more like a sweatshirt! Never let me wash it and yes, it got moth holes and he had to throw it away. You can't see the moth larvae but they are there somehow.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-01-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM

76,956 posts, read 68,924,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurprises View Post
You can try Neiman Marcus but not sure if it's worth it. I got a couple of cashmere sweaters there -- there weren't any bad pilling. One of them lasts 3 years and then some holes appear. There other lasts about 5 years without any holes, but now there are a few small ones.

But holes in clothes are in style now, so it's cool
I've seen NM's cashmere online. They have their own line of cashmere items. I read the reviews, and there are always complaints about pilling. I think for their own line of cashmere, they get the cheap stuff. Maybe their designers brand cashmere is of a different quality; I would hope so. I've always balked at buying NM's in-house brand of cashmere, because some of it looks cheap, and the reviews are very mixed. It can be enticing, because when it goes on sale, it can drop to tempting prices, but I've avoided it so far.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,956,221 times
Looked at cedar blocks on Amazon. But these are not small holes from moths, just one big hole in one sleeve???

Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 AM

9,335 posts, read 4,697,398 times
It could have started as a small moth hole that you didn't notice, and got bigger when you wore it.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:26 AM

12,854 posts, read 17,449,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Looked at cedar blocks on Amazon. But these are not small holes from moths, just one big hole in one sleeve???
Usage - working at a desk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or