U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,953,821 times

Advertisements

So I had a cashmere sweater from Nordstrom. Returned it about 6 months ago. Wearing the new one which is pilling like crazy. Never been washed or dry cleaned. Today I found a hole in the elbow. Sigh. Is there a better place to buy cashmere sweaters that last more than a few months? I am pretty sure Nordstrom would let me return this sweater (again) but I don't think they have a replacement in stock at the moment. (I have looked at their website.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 AM

22,260 posts, read 23,789,929 times
Pilling is something that just happens to wool and cashmere sweaters from the friction of wearing them--do you have a depilling tool? And are you storing your woolens where moths can't get to them?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Pilling is something that just happens to wool and cashmere sweaters from the friction of wearing them--do you have a depilling tool? And are you storing your woolens where moths can't get to them?
Don't know what a depilling tool is, will Google. No moths in my house that I can see. Seems to be wear and tear. I just can't seem to find good quality whether cashmere or wool. They all seem to wear out too soon.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 AM

9,335 posts, read 4,697,398 times
You're wearing a cashmere sweater today? It's 85 degrees! LOL!

Seriously though, it could very well be moths. You don't have to see them for it to be a problem. I'd get some cedar blocks.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 PM

11,262 posts, read 19,968,634 times
Seems like not ever having washed it might contribute? (and agree about cashmere in the summer-like temps - Yikes!)

Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM

2,664 posts, read 996,023 times
some offices are cold

Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Seems like not ever having washed it might contribute? (and agree about cashmere in the summer-like temps - Yikes!)
What does washing have to do with it? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM

76,956 posts, read 68,896,719 times
OP, the quality of the cashmere these days is near rock bottom. After China (Inner Mongolia, to be precise) invested heavily in cashmere goats, they've been churning out low-quality cashmere that pills easily. I'm kind of surprised Nordstrom's would choose those suppliers; a lot of catalog businesses favor the cheap stuff. Also, all cashmere sold in the West these days is all two-ply. Generations ago, it was 3-ply yarn, which is stronger and wears much longer, and is a bit heavier, more substantial. Nowadays, you can only get that in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

We also don't know the nature of your pilling issues, either. As someone else pointed out. you can expect some of that, where there's friction on the garment; for example, maybe on the side, under the arms.

You can go to Bed, Bath and Beyond, to get net containers for your cashmere. You can get short or long ones that go over clothes hangers, and also box-shaped ones with a zipper, to store folded items in. These will keep moths out in most cases. You can also buy cedar blocks with hanger hooks, to hang in your closet. I'd do both, for good measure. Some therapeutic herb shops sell an herbal mix, so you can create your own sachets to hang in the closet and put in drawers, as an alternative to cedar.

Moth balls are toxic not only to moths, but to humans. I wouldn't recommend those.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM

1,143 posts, read 397,010 times
Over 25 years ago I got a couple of cashmere sweaters from llbean. They never pilled but looked beautiful for twenty years after which a few holes appeared.
I ordered a new one from Bean which was paper thin and self-destructed two years later.
The new stuff is simply dreck.
...DRECK I TELL YA!

Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 PM

19,301 posts, read 18,428,051 times
The standards for cashmere have deteriorated so that a lot of cashmere isn't as good quality as it used to be.

However, you have to wash cashmere or it will attract moths. Just wash it in cold water and lay it flat to dry. There are those flat mesh sweater dryers that you can buy.

Every time you wear cashmere, you should take a hair brush and brush it That gets rid of any piling that's starting. Then fold the sweater up (hanging it will stretch it out) and put it in a drawer with a few little cedar blocks. The cedar repels moths.

Maybe no one uses cedar chests anymore but they're great for storing cashmere and wool long term, like over the winter. Main thing is to keep washing the cashmere. If you put it away after wearing it without washing it out, it may attract moths. But you can keep the moths at bay for a while with the cedar blocks or chips. Cashmere is something that needs to be cared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or