U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM

8,946 posts, read 8,122,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Have these collaborations ever hurt any of the others brands that have partnered with Target? Usually they seem to be a big success, with some selling out within hours of stores opening.
I'm not a big Lily Pullitzer fan but I do have some of her stuff. My favorite piece is from the Target line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsSST View Post
Yes Lilly Pulitzer sold out in hours.
So that was great for target but I don't think it's done anything to help Lilly Pulitzer.
I actually think it hurt lilly.
Because now it's the brand that was at target and that cheapens it to people.
Nope, didn't hurt Lily one bit.

It certainly didn't hurt Frank Gehry either. He designed the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao after his collaberation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM

13,899 posts, read 15,882,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What is Vinyard Vines, OP? I tried to look it up, and didn't get too far. Looks vaguely like casual-preppie? Their little whale logo is cute.
Basically.

Started in Martha's Vineyard, basically where the wealthy East Coasters go for summer holiday. Sells garishly colored apparel wealthy people buy to wear on summer vacation. Now bought mostly by people everyone else laughs at behind their back because they're obviously not a wealthy person on summer vacation and are just trying way too hard. Of course they have some more basic stuff... but then you're just buying a cute whale logo. It doesn't have the snob appeal that say the alligator (Lacoste) had at one point to justify charging $90 for a basic polo shirt you can get anywhere else for $30 (less if wait for a sale).

Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 PM

10,826 posts, read 26,248,957 times
VV is a moderate sportswear brand, so a limited capsule collection with Target is not that far out of the norm, since many of their targeted consumers overlap. I do not think that it will hurt the brand, especially as they have been diversifying since growing larger. I have some of their ties for summer casual wear and perhaps a couple of shirts, and one blazer that was more expensive than the current offerings. Ties launched the brand, so they have an array of whimsical patterns and such that work for summer vacationing, etc.

What interested me with the Target promo ads was an expanded offering for pets, at least how it appeared, which would not be a bad consideration through a mass market retailer. As to future value, I do not think the collection will have any real lasting value as evidenced by the Missoni offerings from a few years ago that sell on eBay at reduced prices, not inflated. Missoni was a calculated risk, however, because the brand is higher-end, but Target didn't hurt them in the long run, since Target tends to attract the same consumer base as Costco, at least in my areas, which is a different consumer than Sams Club and Walmart. Now, if it were a Walmart collaboration, VV would be dead in the water, chum waiting for the sharks to feed, but Target could help to expand their profile, and inject some hype into the brand again.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM

11,841 posts, read 20,209,122 times
Frankly, as fast and completely as these diffusion lines sell out, almost all of it seems to be put onto eBay.

In the past, I’ve read about people going into the store as soon as it opens and buying whole racks, just loading up carts without regard to size. Definitely not buying for themselves.

And it’s not the quality or design of the original company. I don’t get it at all.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

5,096 posts, read 7,756,077 times
I went to Target recently, and they were almost sold out. I did see one of their polo shirts, but it appeared to be a bit on the small side for an XXL.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

10,826 posts, read 26,248,957 times
I find it crazy that it's all on eBay at hugely inflated prices. A duffel bag that I could order through Target was $40, I think, and was double on eBay. At the inflated prices, it's the same territory as VV's own stores, so why purchase the Target capsule collection? It seems odd to me, the mentality that there is scarcity and a cash grab from resellers, not that the items were made for Target. It's good for Target, as have been most of their collaborations, and increases name recognition for Vineyard Vines, but for the consumer, why would anyone pay more for "exclusivity" from a Target line?

The expanded pet collection was appreciated by the pets in my family. However, that's something that I wish the regular store would offer, more than the collars and leashes that have been offered in the past.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

5,157 posts, read 2,228,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I just wonder if these items will become valuable in the future.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That’s funny because that’s why my kids won’t wear it anymore. My college-age son and his friends make fun of the one guy in his dorm who wears head-to-toe VV, because they thinks it’s pretentious. It’s interesting that VV is being sold in the bookstore as college spiritwear now. Wonder how sales numbers are.
Exactly. My kids wore it briefly one summer then never again...it's dead in the Boston area.

Old Today, 06:26 PM

1,603 posts, read 537,968 times
Just curious- where do they make their stuff? I'm hardly their target market- 66 years old, living in the landlocked Midwest, deep-sea fishing makes me seasick- but they have some pretty styles and they bring back memories of visiting my BIL and SIL's place in Mantoloking, NJ on the Jersey shore. That was the kind of thing they sold along with plenty of Lilly Pulitzer.

If they farmed out their manufacturing to slave labor in a developing country I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty