U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 02:28 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,537,074 times

Advertisements

Not very often. I wear scrubs for work, then pretty much live in tees or tanks, shorts, and flip flops 8 months out of the year. I have varying levels of tees—from stuff like Johnny Was, Double D Ranch, and Lilly, to concert tees, etc.

I dress for shows and evening dinners in the big city, but that’s only once or twice a month, if that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 05:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 13,902,789 times
I am retired. I seldom dress up in the older fashioned sense. I am a regular church goer, but I tend to wear a nice tee or shirt with simple pants. Day to day I wear jeans and yoga pants with good quality tees. Iíll wear long shorts in the summer. I mix things up. I create outfits when I need to out of disparate items from my closet.

But I canít say I ever dress up. Iím sunk if I get invited to a swanky wedding.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Status: "NO Biden!; (or any other Democrat)" (set 12 days ago)

12,137 posts, read 7,341,054 times
How often do you "dress up"?

Only when I absolutely have to; 90 percent of the time I wear a comfortable, inexpensive polo-and Dickies work pants, and for most of the rest, a T-shirt instead of the polo.

The necktie is an obscenity no sensible male should have to endure.

But what will people think? who in their right mind cares?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 AM

6,765 posts, read 7,105,152 times
Hardly ever, ever.
Weddings and graduations I go at the business casual level.
Funerals at the business professional level.
And I guess, to me, that's "dressing up, a bit"

But really dress up?....as in gown, opera, banquet, old days special church event.....uh....even for banquets I go what I'd call as casual as I personally think is appropriate. Which I guess is somewhere bat those two levels above.

On an everyday, day--to-day- basis, my personal comfort level is to dress as down as I can get away with.
Even going out to eat.....it's pull on knit pants and a nice "elevated" T-shirt style top.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:23 PM

24,380 posts, read 23,376,451 times
I haven't dressed to the nines in many years.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

22 posts, read 1,849 times
When living in Seattle, I got to dress up in dresses and skirts. Being retired and living in rural NM, dressing up means nice jeans or pants with appropriate shirt or sweater and adding a "completer piece". When I go to Albuquerque, it's a welcomed opportunity to wear a nice, dressy casual outfit.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

1,724 posts, read 685,544 times
Wearing slacks and ballet flats, every other day during the spring and summer when the weather is warmer.

But wearing a dress and heels only at weddings. Funerals, wearing black slacks and heeled loafers. Rarely.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

791 posts, read 205,800 times
5-6 days out of the week. I work in management and its a requirement. The only day I'm in lounge wear with zero makeup is Sundays....With that said I'm only dressed up from 6am-4:30pm....as soon as im home, the clothes come off and its pj time.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

624 posts, read 149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Used to all the time for dates and going out on weekends. However, in the Bay Area you get stared at if you're dressed up, so I haven't in a while (with exception for special events).
I just moved to the BA & I dress up for *some* dates depending where we are going. I see others dressed up too....some clubs or venues or restaurants are more formal & dressy than others. Outside of Sf, it's much more casual I have seen.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

3,596 posts, read 1,787,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Now that I am retired, I will dress up only for weddings, funerals, or a very special night out -- so usually not more than twice a year, at most.

[I define dressing up as wearing a necktie (men) or wearing a skirt or dress that is unsuitable for the beach or a very dressy pantsuit (women).]

What about you?
I don't dress up, I just dress.

Differently for stay-at-home, or I step up my clothing when I go somewhere, even just to lunch or the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or