U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 PM

6,539 posts, read 1,339,947 times

Advertisements

Now that I am retired, I will dress up only for weddings, funerals, or a very special night out -- so usually not more than twice a year, at most.

[I define dressing up as wearing a necktie (men) or wearing a skirt or dress that is unsuitable for the beach or a very dressy pantsuit (women).]

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 02:21 PM

5,430 posts, read 8,143,854 times
Not often. I don't go to church hardly anymore. I'll dress up mainly for that & when I go to see live theatrical performances, which is about every 2-5 mos.

I'm not retired, but work remotely, so I have a ton of clothes from the past, but seem to revolve wearing the same 10 tops & several jeans/pants when I go out of the house...mainly because I've gained some weight & I'm tired of how I've been looking lately. I want to lose weight & wear all my cuter clothes again!

I got 3 springy/summery recently tops & I'm definitely going to wear those!

Old 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
Pretty much everyday. I have a casual black pencil skirt for outings that I can mix and match various tops. Depending on whether I'm going to the cafe, dinner, or a museum I can pick a top that fits the occasion. I've never been one for tshirts and shorts or jeans. At home I still wear a skirt but it's an older black pencil skirt with older tops, or leggings and long top.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:41 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,212 times
I’m also retired. I dress up about twice a week. Formal about twice a year. We go out to nice dinners often and occasional live performances.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 PM

5,201 posts, read 7,877,110 times
I typically dress up for church, some parties, some nice restaurants, and some family gatherings.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 PM

1,330 posts, read 825,974 times
Used to all the time for dates and going out on weekends. However, in the Bay Area you get stared at if you're dressed up, so I haven't in a while (with exception for special events).

Old 05-03-2019, 04:00 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,175,019 times
About once a year. I only wear a tie for things like job interviews and weddings.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
I only work two days a week in a small office with only two other employees but I still "dress up" to a certain extent. Not like when I worked on Long Island but I wear a dress or skirt or nice pants with a pretty top. The other gal comes in with yoga wear and cut off shorts and no make-up, however she is in her early 30's and a Florida native so she dresses differently for work than I ever would.

Even though we have zero contact with anybody outside the office other than the UPS/Fed X drivers and the water delivery person I just can't leave the house like I was going to work in the yard. Plus it gives me an excuse to dress a little, put on some make-up and feel like I'm still a part of the working world.

I have gowns and fancy dresses from when we used to go out to the Italian American club years ago but since being widowed I have no use for those clothes anymore especially since I've lost a lot of weight in the last three years. I want to give them to Goodwill or someplace similar but they have so many memories I've been hanging on to them.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:26 PM

6,539 posts, read 1,339,947 times
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Good to know that I am not alone in "going casual" for the most part, but I do wonder if where one lives makes a difference. I mean, I have heard that some parts of the U.S. are still more dressy than other parts; and I do know that I was surprised at how many women wore skirts or dresses when we vacationed in Washington, D.C. and Virginia two years ago.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,350,218 times
maybe five times a week.

since i have a lot of "dress clothes" i wore during my old job, and i rarely wore them for 2 years after i retired,
i decided to at least get some use out of them....so, now i wear dress pants and shirts when i mow the grass,
run the chainsaw, take our dogs walking, etc.... one afternoon, when some Brooks Brothers pants got too
hot to wear, i cut them off at the knees. and, i have two "customized" sleeveless shirts. Git-R-Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or