U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 PM

224 posts, read 32,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My son has been to Russia twice to study. I'll ask him what he thinks.

Which university? What are you studying?

What did he think of it! ТГУ Tomsk State University in Siberia. Tomsk has 500,000 people and is about 160 miles from Novosibirsk which is one of the biggest cities in Russia.

Gonna study Russian for a year in one of the introductory language programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 PM

435 posts, read 120,164 times
Sounds like you are looking for a bride...
You want to be dressed like a lawyer, accountant( professional- without being professional.
To me you look like you are trying to impress someone , who probably does not need to be impressed. Be careful of scam. Big scam. Involving marriage.

So far some of the ideas you have regarding clothing choices are a bit odd.
Navy wool coat? Unless you are 17 and trying to rebel against your parents...
This is from local paper - from where you going- March
https://s9.stc.all.kpcdn.net/share/i...inx960x640.jpg

http://tomsk-story.ru/wp-content/upl...B4TYLbVZlw.jpg

People look dressed very casually.
It will be very rough for you- you sound naive and clueless about their culture- try not to become the object for criminals.
Why that city? Did your pen-pal suggest that city?
You have me worried about you...
What is your age? I suggest dark sweaters, plaid shirts, dark jeans- you will fit in.
Buy llbean jacket or better yet- buy locally whatever they sell in fall.
Gives you a chance to see how other people are dressed.
LLBean will scream that you are a foreigner. It could be bad- where local people would be safe- you won’t.
Be careful, don’t overdress.
Your biggest worry should be boots- you may not be able to find shoes/ boots in your size and comfortable over there.
Shirts, etc- you could buy a few there. Russian men generally do not own too many outfits,
And nobody I met there wore navy blazer- it is a giveaway that you are an American. Classic American: navy blazer and khaki pants. Europeans do not wear anything like that as a rule.
Young people especially.
One more thing: don’t “ flaunt” your $ 1400 trust fund money. Be a poor student. Be yourself. Be real.

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-10-2019 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Sounds like you are looking for a bride...
You want to be dressed like a lawyer, accountant( professional- without being professional.
To me you look like you are trying to impress someone , who probably does not need to be impressed. Be careful of scam. Big scam. Involving marriage.

So far some of the ideas you have regarding clothing choices are a bit odd.
Navy wool coat? Unless you 17 and trying to rebel against your parents...
This is from local paper - from where you going- March
https://s9.stc.all.kpcdn.net/share/i...inx960x640.jpg

http://tomsk-story.ru/wp-content/upl...B4TYLbVZlw.jpg

People looked dressed very casually.
It will be very rough for you- you sound naive and clueless about their culture- try not to become the object for criminals.
Why that city? Did your pen-pal suggest that city?
You have me worried about you...
What is your age? I suggest dark sweater, plaid shirts, dark jeans- you will fit in.
Buy llbean jacket or better yet- buy locally whatever they bring from a China in fall.
Gives you chance to see how other people dressed.
LLBean will scream that you are a foreigner. It could be bad- where local people would be safe- you won’t.
Be careful, don’t overdress.
Regarding a marriage scam, no one is getting a green card out of me. Dressing nice does not equal being professional, it just means dressing nice.

You do seem to be right about them dressing casually. I've asked plenty of Russians and they said dressing well wouldn't be abnormal there, but you might be right about toning it down a bit.

I do know a bit about the culture, I'm not totally clueless on the language either...i know enough for basic conversations and about 200 words or so, but I'm working on it...thats why I'm going to a beginner program.

I am 22, your clothing recommendations are sound, but I don't plan on buying expensive brands really. Depending on how expensive clothes are there, I might wait.

Thank you for the advice! You do bring up good points.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 PM

10,823 posts, read 26,238,525 times
You may have luck at an off-price store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx, which are the same company for some items, like dress shirts and the like. Pants can be hit or miss at stores like that, but Nordstrom Rack can have some good options without being terribly expensive.

I'm not an expert on thrift as others are here, but have shopped vintage, though I probably pay more than the original price of the item when adjusted for inflation and NYC prices. Some brands that can be very good options that may not have been mentioned would include: Ralph Lauren, Thomas Pink, Robert Graham (especially for different prints and unique shirts), Ted Baker (classics and some interesting designs), Charles Tyrwhitt, Gant, Brooks Brothers (classics), Brioni, Lorenzini, Charvet, Zegna, Ungaro, Kiton, TM Lewin, Burberry, Turnbull & Asser, and even Banana Republic can be good for sports shirts. Some of these brands are not going to be easily found in many places, but Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham, and Banana Republic are all American-based labels with wide distribution. French cuffs, even with whimsical cufflinks or simple silk knot cufflinks that are inexpensive, can add a little sophistication to a semi-casual outfit, so you may want to consider that option for a couple of shirts, at first.

I would suggest having a tailor's measuring tape with you and knowing your measurements when you are shopping vintage or thirft because many items may have been previously tailored, especially sleeves on shirts and blazers/suit jackets. Pants will likely have been tailored, but you can look at the cuffs/seam to see if there is an allowance for further adjustment in length, but measure the waist as well.

Steam can take out many wrinkles in shirts, which is a good thing, so you may want to obtain a garment steamer in Russia. Some of the non-iron shirts tend not to be as crisp as a starched dress shirt, which sounds like it may be the look you are considering for some shirts. I'd also find a good dry cleaner who can do a proper job on the shirts, unless you are good with an iron and have starching skills. I have a friend who works in banking in London and has his collars and cuffs so starched that they are completely rigid, and that's only something that I have found the best of commercial services can undertake without flaking, or turning the entire shirt into a board.

I tend to wear a number of sweaters, but I like them for the color/pattern, even if they are only cotton, not especially warmth. However, if you don't like sweaters, try to find something else that can be a means to add to the outfit. Ties are good in that regard, but scarves can be practical for the climate and would work with a parka or pea coat to add a little polish to the basic elements of the outfit that you have put together.

Pants can range, but I'd try to find good pants that fit well, be they dress pants, chinos, and even a nice pair of dark jeans that can be a smarter casual when paired with a dress or sports shirt, blazer, and driver's mocs or loafers. A navy blazer is a classic, I agree, that can be used for anything from a casual date to a business casual event. If you wanted something that may be a little different, and can work with the casual size, I'd see if I could find a brown suede blazer that can pair with anything from jeans to dress pants.

For boots, I'd be inclined to look for Sorel, Kamik, or Pajar that are warm and durable. You should be able to find some sales now that it's the off-season in North America, so I'd check Amazon, DSW, 6PM, Nordstrom Rack, etc. to see if you can find a good pair that would work for your needs. I'd also look for a pair of brown monk strap shoes or loafers, since you have black shoes already, as black and brown would cover the basic needs for shoes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You may have luck at an off-price store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx, which are the same company for some items, like dress shirts and the like. Pants can be hit or miss at stores like that, but Nordstrom Rack can have some good options without being terribly expensive.

I'm not an expert on thrift as others are here, but have shopped vintage, though I probably pay more than the original price of the item when adjusted for inflation and NYC prices. Some brands that can be very good options that may not have been mentioned would include: Ralph Lauren, Thomas Pink, Robert Graham (especially for different prints and unique shirts), Ted Baker (classics and some interesting designs), Charles Tyrwhitt, Gant, Brooks Brothers (classics), Brioni, Lorenzini, Charvet, Zegna, Ungaro, Kiton, TM Lewin, Burberry, Turnbull & Asser, and even Banana Republic can be good for sports shirts. Some of these brands are not going to be easily found in many places, but Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham, and Banana Republic are all American-based labels with wide distribution. French cuffs, even with whimsical cufflinks or simple silk knot cufflinks that are inexpensive, can add a little sophistication to a semi-casual outfit, so you may want to consider that option for a couple of shirts, at first.

I would suggest having a tailor's measuring tape with you and knowing your measurements when you are shopping vintage or thirft because many items may have been previously tailored, especially sleeves on shirts and blazers/suit jackets. Pants will likely have been tailored, but you can look at the cuffs/seam to see if there is an allowance for further adjustment in length, but measure the waist as well.

Steam can take out many wrinkles in shirts, which is a good thing, so you may want to obtain a garment steamer in Russia. Some of the non-iron shirts tend not to be as crisp as a starched dress shirt, which sounds like it may be the look you are considering for some shirts. I'd also find a good dry cleaner who can do a proper job on the shirts, unless you are good with an iron and have starching skills. I have a friend who works in banking in London and has his collars and cuffs so starched that they are completely rigid, and that's only something that I have found the best of commercial services can undertake without flaking, or turning the entire shirt into a board.

I tend to wear a number of sweaters, but I like them for the color/pattern, even if they are only cotton, not especially warmth. However, if you don't like sweaters, try to find something else that can be a means to add to the outfit. Ties are good in that regard, but scarves can be practical for the climate and would work with a parka or pea coat to add a little polish to the basic elements of the outfit that you have put together.

Pants can range, but I'd try to find good pants that fit well, be they dress pants, chinos, and even a nice pair of dark jeans that can be a smarter casual when paired with a dress or sports shirt, blazer, and driver's mocs or loafers. A navy blazer is a classic, I agree, that can be used for anything from a casual date to a business casual event. If you wanted something that may be a little different, and can work with the casual size, I'd see if I could find a brown suede blazer that can pair with anything from jeans to dress pants.

For boots, I'd be inclined to look for Sorel, Kamik, or Pajar that are warm and durable. You should be able to find some sales now that it's the off-season in North America, so I'd check Amazon, DSW, 6PM, Nordstrom Rack, etc. to see if you can find a good pair that would work for your needs. I'd also look for a pair of brown monk strap shoes or loafers, since you have black shoes already, as black and brown would cover the basic needs for shoes.

Thank you for all the great advice! I didn't even think for a second that stuff At Goodwill may have been tailored already...i never would have thought of that, so you probably just saved me a lot of trouble. I've never ironed a shirt in my life, but I have a feeling that ironed shirts look better than non-ironed shirts, but is that only when they're starched? I'm sure I could find a dry cleaner there.

One thing I'm looking into is what Nic4Me said...he may be right about that sort of clothing standing out like a sore thumb there. If so, I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Also, I feel so bad about short typed responses to long, well thought out messages because I feel as though people think I don't care enough to read the whole thing, which I do.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 PM

435 posts, read 120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Regarding a marriage scam, no one is getting a green card out of me. Dressing nice does not equal being professional, it just means dressing nice.

You do seem to be right about them dressing casually. I've asked plenty of Russians and they said dressing well wouldn't be abnormal there, but you might be right about toning it down a bit.

I do know a bit about the culture, I'm not totally clueless on the language either...i know enough for basic conversations and about 200 words or so, but I'm working on it...thats why I'm going to a beginner program.

I am 22, your clothing recommendations are sound, but I don't plan on buying expensive brands really. Depending on how expensive clothes are there, I might wait.

Thank you for the advice! You do bring up good points.
Glad that you are interested in their culture. Don’t do anything you would not do here no matter what anyone says.
It could be tough for you - don’t be afraid to recognize the fact that you have had enough and come back home.
You will see less comfort you are accustomed here, you would miss certain food, you will miss your language after novelty wears off.And much more...
If you persevere however- you could be rewarded with a lot of finer things in life... like friendships and love and appreciation for the things you may not appreciate completely now.
Foreign lands do that to a person.
What is your goal in studying? What specialty?( after Russian language introduction)

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Glad that you are interested in their culture. Don’t do anything you would not do here no matter what anyone says.
It could be tough for you - don’t be afraid to recognize the fact that you have had enough and come back home.
You will see less comfort you are accustomed here, you would miss certain food, you will miss your language after novelty wears out. And much more...
If you persevere however- you could be rewarded with a lot of finer things in life... like friendships and love and appreciation for the things you may not appreciate completely now.
Foreign lands do that to a person.
What is your goal in studying? What specialty?( after Russian language introduction)
II'v always been interested in Russia and its history since I was a teenager. I'd actually be more cautious there than I am in the U.S...dont want to get on a cops bad side. I know the law system in Russia can be a bit more...tumultuous, especially because Americans waive the right to consular intervention when they go. Luckily, I'm not rowdy, and I don't really drink or anything, so I'm good there.

Comfort wise, I'm sure I will miss some things, but I will be able to eat better than I do now (I can't really cook now due to situations with my house and dietary restrictions) and not worry about money. If you're Russian, then you'll understand me when I say I get 72,000₽ a month from a malpractice settlement in America and I get it for life...for the time being, that's more than enough to live comfortably in Tomsk. I picked Tomsk because I like the cold and Siberia is pretty. It's not too cold, I'm used to temperatures of -20C from my time in Montana, and it doesn't bother me much.

I would love to make friends there. I was told that Russians seem cold at first but once they open up, they really warm up to you. It makes sense based on what I've been told, which is the fact that if you ask someone "Как дела?", you better have time to listen to everything that's going on in their lives. I also am tired of all the fake smiles we have here in America.

Also, I wouldn't mind studying biology or another science. The course I'm signing up for does prepare you for the entrance exams.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 PM

10,823 posts, read 26,238,525 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the great advice! I didn't even think for a second that stuff At Goodwill may have been tailored already...i never would have thought of that, so you probably just saved me a lot of trouble. I've never ironed a shirt in my life, but I have a feeling that ironed shirts look better than non-ironed shirts, but is that only when they're starched? I'm sure I could find a dry cleaner there.

One thing I'm looking into is what Nic4Me said...he may be right about that sort of clothing standing out like a sore thumb there. If so, I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Also, I feel so bad about short typed responses to long, well thought out messages because I feel as though people think I don't care enough to read the whole thing, which I do.
No worries. You're still looking for ideas. You can wear what everyone else wears and still stand out in a good way. What I mean by that is that the fit for your body type and tailoring, where needed, can give you the extra element you seek without making a radical change.

For example, find the best pair of plain, dark jeans that you can, and pair with a shirt that's nice and fits you well too. You would pass for what everyone else is wearing, but the attention to details would tend to elevate your mood and sense of appearance in a good way, rather than just conforming to off-the-rack sizes that may or may not have been designed for your particular body type. You can make subtle changes within the prevailing style of the area for yourself, putting your own best look forward, without radically changing your style or overdressing for a particular area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 AM

8,857 posts, read 2,856,408 times
St. Vincent's and Goodwill.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 AM

5,770 posts, read 8,519,865 times
Quote:
Hey y'all, stupid question for you...I'm 22 and moving to a new country (Russia, Siberia to be exact, yes there is good reasons for it and I'm going to university there to study Russian) and I'm considering changing up my style a bit to look nicer, because why not. Right now, I dress like someone you'd find working on a ranch, which isn't bad, it's just what I like. I want to start wearing dress shirts and slacks/dress pants every day, but I don't have a huge budget.

My plan was to buy a week's worth of dress pants/dress shirts and buy more as time went on... Costco has Kirkland shirts for >$20 and Van Heusen sells shirts for >$20. So does Amazon's GoodThreads brand, I think. As far as pants, it's the same way, with Kirkland's having them for >$20. I was going to get 3 colors of pants and shirts with a 2-2-3 scheme...2 of 2 color, 2 of another color, and 3 white shirts and 3 pairs of black pants. If more colors are available, I'd vary them.

Where I'm going is very cold (averages below zero in Fahrenheit (-17C for all you metric guys out there) for around 5 months a year, with record lows of -67F (-55C), so I was going to go with a peacoat for the cold Temps. I was thinking of buying one of surplus Soviet Navy greatcoat and having the minor alterations done to fit me as best as possible, have it hemmed to mid thigh/just above the knee, and have the buttons changed to black or gray. It's $110 with shipping included, but it's 100% wool so I figure it should be pretty warm, and they're fairly affordable. I'd make sure there were no insignias, tubing, or epaulets on it. As far as gloves, I was going to look for some warm, black wool gloves that should probably look okay with the peacoat. One other, much cheaper coat option is Bundesmarine peacoat for $36...only problem with that is its not 100% wool...more like 70% I think. In terms of scarves (I've never worn a scarf in my life), I'd just go for a black wool one, and in terms of headwear, ushankas/sheepskin hats are perfectly stylish for when it gets cold out?

As far as shoes...I don't even know what to go with for those...as far dress shoes, I have a very comfortable pair of black dress shoes...but for winter, I don't know. I was considering buying some black 5.11 boots with a shiny leather upper and going with functionality over form...unless y'all have any suggestions.

All in all, I really would love to spend no more than $600 on the winter clothes and dress clothes combined...is that possible? Is this a decent plan? Any changes or things you would recommend? Anything just totally not stylish?

Thanks for the help, guys!
I can only say that in Siberia in the winter, you can't look nice. You have to wear multiple layers of clothes, and that always ends up looking a bit dowdy. But it's better than freezing to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or