U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM

806 posts, read 236,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Can you give an example of a wool coat that would not be a peacoat? I'm not familiar...i usually just wear what is comfortable.

Dark colors is good to know. I did hear that if you wear bright colors there, people will think you're gay. I don't know if that's true, but it's not the impression I want.

Doc Martens have a bad rep in the UK and US, but no such reputation exists there, correct?

I wish I was fluent, but that is part of the reason I'm going after all!

I don't drink much anyway, so I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

I also didn't want to bring my papers with me at all times. Will most cops accept copies?

I think Levi's are still super popular there. Someone recommended going nowhere near a greatcoat because they're a political statement there (Soviet greatcoats, that is). I've actually never been skiing or snowboarding in my life. Long underwear is a must, I was planning on getting some wool lined jeans as well.

Will "faux fur" not work? I am not the artistic or rock band type, I'm pretty average. I don't really like suits anyway, but you're saying people do wear nice shirts and pants? I was told to buy winter boots in Russia.
In Russia, Doc Martens are LGBTQ boots. Try Timberlands boots https://www.timberland.com/

or Red Wings Work boots Work Boots and Shoes - Shoe Finder - Red Wing Shoes

Yes, cops will accept copies of your papers. Keep your real original papers locked in a suitcase or secure box.

Russian love denim. Wool lined jeans are just not real denim jeans. Stick to plain Levi's or LL Bean jeans.

You must purchase a suitcase lock. The TSA approved locks that require a key are best. The combination padlocks can get knocked around and can get difficult to open.

In addition, Suitcase straps are recommended. https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...luggage-straps

What I would focus on is 1) boxers/briefs, 2) lots of crew neck tshirts (Haines makes these in white and colors which can be wore under sweaters, as a night shirt or as a tshirt when hanging around the dorm), 3) long sleeve tshirts like solid tees without writing or logos from Life is Good. https://www.lifeisgood.com/. They last forever and never fade. 4) all cotton socks (order a size bigger to allow for shrinkage. I swear by Fox River Socks), 5) flannel pajama pants (LL Beans makes the best) 6) long cotton underwear (two piece, the one pieces are too hard to get in and out off).

Get lots of these. You don't know how available the washers/dryers will be. These are necessary, everyday items.

Then I would add jeans, sweaters and boots/shoes. Everything else you can purchase there.

Pack an umbrella too.

I would find out if you have to supply your own sheets/pillow and towels.

There are very rich Russian oligarchs. In fact, the fourth city worldwide for largest number of billionaires is Moscow.
Keep your financial information to yourself - like a game of poker. There will be people poorer and richer than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 PM

219 posts, read 32,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
In Russia, Doc Martens are LGBTQ boots. Try Timberlands boots https://www.timberland.com/

or Red Wings Work boots Work Boots and Shoes - Shoe Finder - Red Wing Shoes

Yes, cops will accept copies of your papers. Keep your real original papers locked in a suitcase or secure box.

Russian love denim. Wool lined jeans are just not real denim jeans. Stick to plain Levi's or LL Bean jeans.

You must purchase a suitcase lock. The TSA approved locks that require a key are best. The combination padlocks can get knocked around and can get difficult to open.

In addition, Suitcase straps are recommended. https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...luggage-straps

What I would focus on is 1) boxers/briefs, 2) lots of crew neck tshirts (Haines makes these in white and colors which can be wore under sweaters, as a night shirt or as a tshirt when hanging around the dorm), 3) long sleeve tshirts like solid tees without writing or logos from Life is Good. https://www.lifeisgood.com/. They last forever and never fade. 4) all cotton socks (order a size bigger to allow for shrinkage. I swear by Fox River Socks), 5) flannel pajama pants (LL Beans makes the best) 6) long cotton underwear (two piece, the one pieces are too hard to get in and out off).

Get lots of these. You don't know how available the washers/dryers will be. These are necessary, everyday items.

Then I would add jeans, sweaters and boots/shoes. Everything else you can purchase there.

Pack an umbrella too.

I would find out if you have to supply your own sheets/pillow and towels.

There are very rich Russian oligarchs. In fact, the fourth city worldwide for largest number of billionaires is Moscow.
Keep your financial information to yourself - like a game of poker. There will be people poorer and richer than you.
I know from my time in construction that I'm probably pretty close to priced out of Redwing boots. I had no idea Doc Martens were LGBTQ...how strange. I'll check out timberlands and check prices on Redwing boots, though I have heard they're overpriced and overrated.

Keeping my papers locked up is the plan

I don't know what you mean by "they're not real denim jeans"...i can always buy some more pairs of jeans. Would you recommend those over slacks? I'll probably by 10-15 pairs of boxers, 5-10 undershirts, some sleep pants, wool and cotton socks, and I guess long underwear, though I've never experienced a time I needed them. I will pack an umbrella, though again, I've actually never really used one...even in rainy Missouri.

I believe they supply them, but I'm not sure. If not, I have to buy them there.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 AM

1,272 posts, read 927,111 times
Just take a look at the pictures (skip one with indigenous events). Younger people wear about the same stuff as people here in the US. Older ones wear fur hats still.

https://yandex.ru/images/search?text...B5%D0%BB%D0%B8

For fun, you can buy ushanka - a hat with ear flaps, which can be tied under your chin. Very warm! Foreigners in Russia often wear them. Plenty of them on Amazon.

Old Today, 11:47 AM

219 posts, read 32,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Just take a look at the pictures (skip one with indigenous events). Younger people wear about the same stuff as people here in the US. Older ones wear fur hats still.

https://yandex.ru/images/search?text...B5%D0%BB%D0%B8

For fun, you can buy ushanka - a hat with ear flaps, which can be tied under your chin. Very warm! Foreigners in Russia often wear them. Plenty of them on Amazon.
I love ushankas (I own an old Soviet surplus one) but I believe that they have a military history and are pretty much a foreigner thing, which I'd like to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or