Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, stupid question for you...I'm 22 and moving to a new country (Russia, Siberia to be exact, yes there is good reasons for it and I'm going to university there to study Russian) and I'm considering changing up my style a bit to look nicer, because why not. Right now, I dress like someone you'd find working on a ranch, which isn't bad, it's just what I like. I want to start wearing dress shirts and slacks/dress pants every day, but I don't have a huge budget.

My plan was to buy a week's worth of dress pants/dress shirts and buy more as time went on... Costco has Kirkland shirts for >$20 and Van Heusen sells shirts for >$20. So does Amazon's GoodThreads brand, I think. As far as pants, it's the same way, with Kirkland's having them for >$20. I was going to get 3 colors of pants and shirts with a 2-2-3 scheme...2 of 2 color, 2 of another color, and 3 white shirts and 3 pairs of black pants. If more colors are available, I'd vary them.

Where I'm going is very cold (averages below zero in Fahrenheit (-17°C for all you metric guys out there) for around 5 months a year, with record lows of -67°F (-55C°), so I was going to go with a peacoat for the cold Temps. I was thinking of buying one of surplus Soviet Navy greatcoat and having the minor alterations done to fit me as best as possible, have it hemmed to mid thigh/just above the knee, and have the buttons changed to black or gray. It's $110 with shipping included, but it's 100% wool so I figure it should be pretty warm, and they're fairly affordable. I'd make sure there were no insignias, tubing, or epaulets on it. As far as gloves, I was going to look for some warm, black wool gloves that should probably look okay with the peacoat. One other, much cheaper coat option is Bundesmarine peacoat for $36...only problem with that is its not 100% wool...more like 70% I think. In terms of scarves (I've never worn a scarf in my life), I'd just go for a black wool one, and in terms of headwear, ushankas/sheepskin hats are perfectly stylish for when it gets cold out?

As far as shoes...I don't even know what to go with for those...as far dress shoes, I have a very comfortable pair of black dress shoes...but for winter, I don't know. I was considering buying some black 5.11 boots with a shiny leather upper and going with functionality over form...unless y'all have any suggestions.

All in all, I really would love to spend no more than $600 on the winter clothes and dress clothes combined...is that possible? Is this a decent plan? Any changes or things you would recommend? Anything just totally not stylish?

Thanks for the help, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 01:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I think you may get there and find that everyone else is dressed in a different style. Some items may be better purchased there if you're wanting to dress like the locals.

For dress shirts and slacks, try going to thrift stores in the more affluent areas of your city. Many clothes that are donated are in perfect condition or have never been worn. It's a good way to stretch your clothing budget and acquire some more upscale brands.

Oh, and 5.11 boots don't hold up well at all. My husband's employer buys him a new pair of boots every year, and the only ones that haven't lasted the year are the two times he got 5.11 boots. That brand makes good bdu pants but they haven't figured out boots yet.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
You want to buy a Sovjet Navy Surplus coat to wear in Russia or a Bundesmarine Pea Coat?

Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would buy good American warm and sturdy clothing and boots before you go. I’ve never been to Russia, so I don’t know what kind of quality or selection they have there. I’m thinking LL Bean and Lands End, because they make jackets and boots for a cold climate.

As for slacks and shirts....Lands End or LL Bean wrinkle free. Maybe buy 3 slacks and 5 shirts, lots of warm socks and some long underwear. When you get there you can fill in other things.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You want to buy a Sovjet Navy Surplus coat to wear in Russia or a Bundesmarine Pea Coat?

Tailored, they're no different than any peacoat. It's not like I'm buying a Telnyashka.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
You will get the biggest bang for your buck buying dress shirts and pants from a thrift shop like Goodwill. Don't forget you will need dark socks, no white athletic socks!!. You don't need the thin dress socks, you can purchase socks made similar to athletic socks but are black, blue, tan etc. You may get lucky on some high quality dressier shoes there too but I suggest you purchase a higher quality shoe with a good heavy soul and leather purchased new, starting price about $100-120. That pea coat doesn't look very warm, not for below zero temps. Maybe for dress but not practical for any length of time outdoors. Find a coat rated for below zero temps, style be dammed you need warmth. Look at suit coats too at Goodwill and a few times just in case.

Buy dress shirts you don't have to iron. Most brands will have a manufacturer label that says iron free. The trick is to take out of dryer and out immediately on a hanger.

You won't be in harsh winter weather the whole time I assume. So you would need outer wear for milder weather too. Have you checked to see the temperature ranges in the area you will be living in?

Lands End has a really great parka style winter coat with hood I was looking at for my twenty something son. I was around $200 or so. Which is actually a good price for that quality. I live in Minnesota so I know cold weather. A attached hood is really a must in that cold of weather, along with a hat, heavy gloves. And winter boots too!!

Columbia and some other winter coats brands make a three in one coat. Basically two coats you wear together for winter and you can also wear the outer shell by itself and the inner jacket by itself. They can be expensive but maybe able to get one on clearance at this time of year.
https://www.columbia.com/mens-northb...t-1798821.html

Last edited by Izzie1213; 05-10-2019 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 03:46 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Since staying warm means dressing in layers, I'd advise you put aside something, or increase your budget, to include a few good, heavy wool sweaters, and maybe a down vest. You can find very good ones for not too much money at places like Saks Off Fifth, Nordstrom's Rack, or Burlington--especially now because so much winter clothing is on sale. One of these places might also have a very good sale on heavy winter coats, either wool or down-filled. (Personally ,I'd go with a down-filled coast because it will be drier than a wool one.)

If you're buying dress pants and shirts at Costco, make sure they fit you. The stuff I see on the tables there usually comes in a very narrow assortment of fits and sizes. I'm relatively thin and can rarely find anything there that fits me well, but of course every body is different. Just don't go to Russia in ill-fitting clothes. That just gives new meaning to the term "ugly American"!

And finally, you can always find decent, low-priced dress shirts at places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross and places like that, as well as brand outlet stores if there are any near you. Of course the same holds true at places like this too: Makes sure the clothes fit!

Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
You will get the biggest bang for your buck buying dress shirts and pants from a thrift shop like Goodwill. Don't forget you will need dark socks, no white athletic socks!!. You don't need the thin dress socks, you can purchase socks made similar to athletic socks but are black, blue, tan etc. You may get lucky on some high quality dressier shoes there too but I suggest you purchase a higher quality shoe with a good heavy soul and leather purchased new, starting price about $100-120. That pea coat doesn't look very warm, not for below zero temps. Maybe for dress but not practical for any length of time outdoors. Find a coat rated for below zero temps, style be dammed you need warmth. Look at suit coats too at Goodwill and a few times just in case.

Buy dress shirts you don't have to iron. Most brands will have a manufacturer label that says iron free. The trick is to take out of dryer and out immediately on a hanger.

You won't be in harsh winter weather the whole time I assume. So you would need outer wear for milder weather too. Have you checked to see the temperature ranges in the area you will be living in?

I doubt I will ever wear a suit...ive worn them 2 times in my life and don't think I'd have reason to wear one any time soon. Thank you for the socks reminder! Someone recommended Chelsea's or Brogues? The greatcoats are made specifically for very cold weather, but once it gets that cold I'll just wear a parka. Honestly, I'm pretty cold resistant. At about 5°F, I wear a simple fleece lined softball jacket like https://www.ariat.com/P15774_M_APP.html?dwvar_P15774__M__APP_color=BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Since staying warm means dressing in layers, I'd advise you put aside something, or increase your budget, to include a few good, heavy wool sweaters, and maybe a down vest. You can find very good ones for not too much money at places like Saks Off Fifth, Nordstrom's Rack, or Burlington--especially now because so much winter clothing is on sale. One of these places might also have a very good sale on heavy winter coats, either wool or down-filled. (Personally ,I'd go with a down-filled coast because it will be drier than a wool one.)

If you're buying dress pants and shirts at Costco, make sure they fit you. The stuff I see on the tables there usually comes in a very narrow assortment of fits and sizes. I'm relatively thin and can rarely find anything there that fits me well, but of course every body is different. Just don't go to Russia in ill-fitting clothes. That just gives new meaning to the term "ugly American"!

And finally, you can always find decent, low-priced dress shirts at places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross and places like that, as well as brand outlet stores if there are any near you. Of course the same holds true at places like this too: Makes sure the clothes fit!
Are thrift stores worth going to for dress shirts? I've never really gone to a thrift store. Down vest isn't my thing...sweaters aren't my thing either, I'd definitely just go to with a parka at that point...anything in between, just a peacoat I guess. Is there any stylish jackets out there that aren't made of wool? I found one for like, $70...it was tannish, I think, with a fur collar. I can't remember. It looked good and I wish I remembered what kind it was.

I would say I'm not looking for the cutting edge of fashion. I would never wear anything really hipster, I'd prefer to dress like I was going to my 9-5 at the law office as an account, but without a suit, tie, and the name brand $100 shirts.

Last edited by CuriousAboutRussia; 05-10-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM

160 posts, read 125,759 times
You can never go wrong with classic clothes. Good on you for wanting to step up your look. So few people do today.

White shirts, grey slacks, black slacks, tan slacks, dark navy blazer sport coat, and a tie or two. You can mix and match that stuff around and look great. Resale shops are your friend too.

Something to set the mood while you shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw

Old 05-10-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
You can never go wrong with classic clothes. Good on you for wanting to step up your look. So few people do today.

White shirts, grey slacks, black slacks, tan slacks, dark navy blazer sport coat, and a tie or two. You can mix and match that stuff around and look great. Resale shops are your friend too.

Something to set the mood while you shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw

So thrifting is definitely something I should do? What do I look for in regards to the shirts...brands? Material? Obviously I look for tears, frays, or stains...what else?

I've never dressed nice before in my life and I think I'd like to start now. I don't really wear ties or blazers/sport coats... Don't have much reason to, and I'm not even sure what occasions people wear them for. I guess I could try a blazer. I honestly don't even know how to tie a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty