U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 AM

4,591 posts, read 3,271,491 times

Advertisements

And really old tattoos. Fade and bleed out into the skin looking like some form of spreading skin cancer. Why blemish your skin like that?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 AM

610 posts, read 169,780 times
Wow. A lot of judgment here about something that will never affect you.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM

17,598 posts, read 10,925,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
One would think that at 52, she would have outgrown such a thing, but my dear wife announced to me that her 21yo daughter invited her to go get tattoos together today. Same tattoo in the same location. I just don't get it. I have yet to see an attractive tattoo, on anyone, even the three that wifey already has from before we met. I'm 56 and never had any desire for a tattoo and never will. My 26 & 23 yo daughters don't have any tattoos (to the best of my knowledge anyway) and their mother would freak out if they got one. Wifey also has a "no visible tattoos" dress code policy at her employer. With the location she told me, with her dress she wore today to work, it would be highly visible, but she is doing it anyway. She actually had a district manager admonish her because her chest incision from her open heart surgery was partially visible one day. Yes, she survived a heart attack, had heart surgery and just this past week her cardiologist informed her that she has a heart defect. Yet she is getting inked today and risking an infection.

I don't understand tattooing. Somebody enlighten me.

I'm like you, I don't get tattoos at all. Maybe a very small one on your ankle or somewhere hidden, but God, some of these people should be in a sideshow.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 AM

375 posts, read 388,099 times
I see tattoos as an art form. A teacher here has a large tattoo on his forearm, he regularly covers it. I have one of my tattoos near my shoulder, since I am required to wear a shirt with sleeves, it is always covered. If a tattoo is visible, I like to look at it. I am 54 years old and have had my tattoos for 25-30 years.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM

359 posts, read 218,012 times
People want to be unique like everybody else.

I have none.

Waste of money and time if you ask me.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:30 AM

11,862 posts, read 16,597,377 times
They're a great litmus test for character.

Or lack thereof. See: this thread.

The preoccupation some people have with what others do with their bodies is almost reason enough to get a tattoo.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 AM

15,080 posts, read 13,224,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
People want to be unique like everybody else.

I have none.

Waste of money and time if you ask me.
I am sure there are hundreds of things you do and buy that people would say "are a waste of time and money".

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They're a great litmus test for character.

Or lack thereof. See: this thread.

The preoccupation some people have with what others do with their bodies is almost reason enough to get a tattoo.
Yea, sometimes I think i should get a tattoo just to make sure these types on this thread never associate with me.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:11 PM

10,010 posts, read 4,655,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the rebellious aspect is pretty much gone, these days. If everyone is rebellious, no one is rebellious.

And it's pretty sad if people think there is nothing unique about them and/or they have no sense of identity, if they don't have a tattoo.

Art? The artistic element is questionable. Getting a tattoo of your choice is about as artistic these days as having a doormat "personalized" with your family name.

I really think that these days, most people get tattoos because tattoos are fashionable. Call it "peer pressure" or what you will, the majority of people tend to follow the fads.
Yep, about 20 years ago I was thinking about getting a small tattoo. This was before they were so commonplace. Then everybody seemed to have a tattoo and I changed my mind. I didn't want to follow the crowd. I made that mistake when double or triple ear lobe piercings started to become popular. Against my better judgement I got second holes put in because my sister was in the jewelry business and talked me into it. Despite taking good care of the second holes they got infected and it taught me a valuable lesson about going along with the trends.

I think worse than full sleeves are facial tattoos and ear gauging. That is just plain disgusting and you have to wonder why people choose to mutilate themselves like that and cut down on any chance of being gainfully employed.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:37 PM

564 posts, read 195,481 times
Your wife should be aware of one thing. As we age, the skin changes, thins out, sometimes getting that ‘crepe’ look. A tattoo on older skin can be problematic.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:43 PM

5,572 posts, read 8,573,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am sure there are hundreds of things you do and buy that people would say "are a waste of time and money".

Yea, sometimes I think i should get a tattoo just to make sure these types on this thread never associate with me.
I feel the same way... It would be a way to weed out the overly judgmental from associating with me. I kinda like that idea.

I don’t have a tattoo, nor does my spouse or kids. However, I do view tattoos (the good ones that is) as works of art. I wouldn’t rule it out if I felt the urge - and I’m almost OP’s wife age.

In fact, if my daughter presented the same scenario about getting shared tattoos, I’d definitely consider it, though I’d make sure I found the best artist around - even if I had to fly somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or