U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,850,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yep, about 20 years ago I was thinking about getting a small tattoo. This was before they were so commonplace. Then everybody seemed to have a tattoo and I changed my mind. I didn't want to follow the crowd. I made that mistake when double or triple ear lobe piercings started to become popular. Against my better judgement I got second holes put in because my sister was in the jewelry business and talked me into it. Despite taking good care of the second holes they got infected and it taught me a valuable lesson about going along with the trends.

I think worse than full sleeves are facial tattoos and ear gauging. That is just plain disgusting and you have to wonder why people choose to mutilate themselves like that and cut down on any chance of being gainfully employed.
I had a lawyer that had a full sleeve, one of the best lawyers in this city. I don't like facial tats either. I've got my ears guaged about half inch I think, I forget how big they are, it's not mutilation, sorry. What's disgusting is the amount of Peggy and Hank Hills that live in this forum wondering and condemning people for enjoying life. I've gotten many jobs with my guages, there are jobs that don't care, jobs that pay equal or more than some middle managment crap many on here have or had.

"Tattoos and ear guages, I bet they ride their bicycle with no hands too, just ain't right, I tell ya hwhat."

Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 PM

8,839 posts, read 2,844,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have wondered about that as well. I think it gives people a sense of identity, for one, to have a distinct marking in a world of many people. It makes them unique and they draw attention. They may also have a feeling a being rebellious in a way in a society of rules. I think it is also a form of self expression and some do it because it is a form of art and expression of control. Maybe some do it because their friends do it (peer pressure).

Why do people not do it? If tattoos are visible, it is hard to become gainfully employed, although, I think the tattoos are becoming more accepted over time in the work place.

In the case of your wife, it may be a form of bonding with her daughter.

What a small amount of self-esteem one must have, to think that tattoos would give them an "identity".

Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM

2,049 posts, read 995,435 times
I know a woman who has her arms, legs, back, and other parts nearly covered in what looks like clip-art tattoos. Some of them are almost amateurish in appearance. They aren't original. They have no particular meaning. There is no theme to them, they just seem to be random clip art. They aren't real art by any means.

Getting them makes her happy. I did notice that she wore a shawl to cover them up at her daughter's wedding, though, so I'm not sure what that means....is she ashamed of them, or is her daughter ashamed of them? I don't know. But I do know she gets excited when she makes another appointment to get a new tattoo. If it makes her happy, I figure it's her business, not mine.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:40 PM

21,232 posts, read 13,950,898 times
I tended not to see tattooed arms or shoulders, or guaged ears either, where I used to live. I saw some few tattoos, though. But when we moved to the PNW, wow. They are everywhere. On so many people.

I have to confess I don’t pay attention any more. This is not my idea of beauty or attractiveness. But I usually don’t find them ugly, either. The popularity started with the Gen X, I think.

Everything runs its course. But I don’t think anything of tattoos anymore. But I don’t want one.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,015,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Some people like them. Some people don't. Simple as that.
Yup, that's all there is to it.

I have two. They aren't visible to society 99% of the time, so clearly not for attention or to be "rebellious". They hold meaning to me and that's that. People like what the like and not everything is for everybody.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 AM

2,377 posts, read 480,974 times
It's the same with cars...with few exceptions, the people with the slow cars are the ones putting stripes/graphics, loud exhaust, body kits, spoilers and stickers all over their cars. The people with fast cars either leave them as they are or debadge them to make them look like a slower model.

Basically an insecurity exists.

No different than people who constantly tell you who/what they are...they're usually telling you what they wish to be...if they were confident that it is what they are it would be obvious and they wouldn't need to tell you.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:33 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,543,886 times
I got one at 57. It's on my foot, and only visible when I choose to have it be visible. It's a name, done in a beautiful font, of a place very special to me. I don't care whether anyone likes it or not. It reminds me of good times and good friends, in a place that has now changed beyond recognition.

To the OP--does your wife getting a tattoo harm you or anyone else? Or are you perhaps uncomfortable having her make a decision about her own body without your approval?

Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 AM

6,113 posts, read 5,823,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
One would think that at 52, she would have outgrown such a thing, but my dear wife announced to me that her 21yo daughter invited her to go get tattoos together today. Same tattoo in the same location. I just don't get it. I have yet to see an attractive tattoo, on anyone, even the three that wifey already has from before we met. I'm 56 and never had any desire for a tattoo and never will. My 26 & 23 yo daughters don't have any tattoos (to the best of my knowledge anyway) and their mother would freak out if they got one. Wifey also has a "no visible tattoos" dress code policy at her employer. With the location she told me, with her dress she wore today to work, it would be highly visible, but she is doing it anyway. She actually had a district manager admonish her because her chest incision from her open heart surgery was partially visible one day. Yes, she survived a heart attack, had heart surgery and just this past week her cardiologist informed her that she has a heart defect. Yet she is getting inked today and risking an infection.

I don't understand tattooing. Somebody enlighten me.

Moderator note to all members: DO NOT resort to bashing and rude posts in this thread. If you do, the thread will be locked.
I'm 46 I don't have any.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 AM

13,681 posts, read 12,519,489 times
I don’t have any tattoos and will probably never get any. I don’t personally think that they make people look more attractive in general. However, one of my favorite singers has a ton of them and I think he’s the hottest guy ever and I even like his tattoos, so it depends.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 AM

10,010 posts, read 4,655,693 times
Yes I think it depends on the person. You have a hot guy with a lot of tats it looks sexy, however put a tramp stamp on a chubby woman with pasty white skin, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or