Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 PM

115 posts, read 91,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've kind of sort of wanted a tattoo. So far, I don't have any, although I ALMOST got one after a fun time on Beale Street once. The thing that stops me is...it's too permanent. lol If you told me it'd last a year, and then fade away...I might've had 5 or 6 by now. But I can't think of anything SOOO important to me, to have it drawn on me forever. And that's it, in a nutshell.
If there is something very important, is tattoo the way to show it? Maybe that is the way ... I guess it is for some.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 PM

22,311 posts, read 11,823,592 times
Quote:
I've kind of sort of wanted a tattoo. So far, I don't have any, although I ALMOST got one after a fun time on Beale Street once. The thing that stops me is...it's too permanent. lol If you told me it'd last a year, and then fade away...I might've had 5 or 6 by now. But I can't think of anything SOOO important to me, to have it drawn on me forever. And that's it, in a nutshell.

Not that I've done this but I like the idea of temporary tattoos. For someone contemplating getting a permanent one, having a temp one is a way to see how one feels about the design.

Our son-in-law has a couple of tattoos. One day he surprised us by saying he regrets getting them. We asked him why---and this is what he told us. He said that there are people who think of tattoos as being low class which concerned him when he would go job hunting. He's told our grandkids that he doesn't want them getting ink. The kids are still minors so it's not like they can go out and get inked right now.

Still, for all who want to get inked, there are concerns which one needs to take note. One is an allergy to red ink:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...ou-need-know#1

And, the FDA doesn't regulate tattoo ink:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmet...eup-fact-sheet

Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 AM

21,630 posts, read 12,679,017 times
I don't understand tattoos (which I call "body graffiti") Mod cut., which I happen to consider ugly, but that's just me. It's fine if you like a particular style of "art." Buy it, frame it, and hang it in your own house. Isn't that what people have done for ages? Why suddenly do we ALL have to look at it? What is this compulsion to impose YOUR taste on society? Mod cut. Public "art," including tattoos, is attention-seeking behavior, at the very least. I blame it on social media. It's taught us all that everyone is entitled to OUR opinion.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-15-2019 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:10 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,302,413 times
To me, having tattoos is like to be a masochist. Why would I want to pay somebody money to have pain. I just don't get it. When I like art, I buy some nice pictures to hang in my house, or I join a class to learn to draw or paint. Or if I liked art on my body, I would buy a fake tattoo to put it on wherever I like. I know that's fake and not permanent. But it's a good thing that I could get rid of it whenever when I don't want it anymore. LOL. No way I want to spent my money to buy pain. Someone can say or think that s/he is brave to have tattoos. I'm brave in a way of standing up against bullies at work.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM

88,197 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
To me, having tattoos is like to be a masochist. Why would I want to pay somebody money to have pain. I just don't get it. When I like art, I buy some nice pictures to hang in my house, or I join a class to learn to draw or paint. Or if I liked art on my body, I would buy a fake tattoo to put it on wherever I like. I know that's fake and not permanent. But it's a good thing that I could get rid of it whenever when I don't want it anymore. LOL. No way I want to spent my money to buy pain. Someone can say or think that s/he is brave to have tattoos. I'm brave in a way of standing up against bullies at work.
What pain? Mine didn't hurt a bit (upper arm), although I think that can be affected by where on the body you get it.

If you don't want a tat, don't get one, but don't make up silly stuff that people who have tattoos will know isn't true.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:51 AM

88,197 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't understand tattoos (which I call "body graffiti") OR murals (especially of the new "graffiti art" variety), both of which I happen to consider ugly, but that's just me. It's fine if you like a particular style of "art." Buy it, frame it, and hang it in your own house. Isn't that what people have done for ages? Why suddenly do we ALL have to look at it? What is this compulsion to impose YOUR taste on society? And why are so many city governments devoting precious money to the application of murals all over town, often ruining streetscapes? But I digress. Public "art," including tattoos, is attention-seeking behavior, at the very least. I blame it on social media. It's taught us all that everyone is entitled to OUR opinion.
Again, ridiculous. I suppose it COULD be "attention-seeking", just as maybe your haircut or the way you dress is attention-seeking, and there are certainly people for whom that seems to be true.

But I didn't get a tattoo to seek attention from anyone. If you met me, you'd likely not know I had one, unless I was wearing a sleeveless top. How is that "seeking attention"?

Some of the weird assumptions and judgments about people here are over the top. I'd rather meet a kind, open-minded person covered with tattoos than someone who clutches onto odd ideas in their minds about people they've never even met based on them choosing to get a tattoo.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,374,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You might choose not to do things for fashion or not to be rebellious or not attempt to be unique, but it has nothing to do with being "too old."
Well as far as I’m concerned, regarding MYSELF, yeah “too old”. That’s it, end of story.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,674,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They're a great litmus test for character.

Or lack thereof. See: this thread.

The preoccupation some people have with what others do with their bodies is almost reason enough to get a tattoo.

Eh, I would say not a particularly good litmus test of character: see the population of our nation's prisons.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 PM

20,252 posts, read 14,487,901 times
Quote:

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who was an older man, and he had a tattoo of a hula dancer on his arm. When he'd flex his muscles, the hula dancer would 'dance'. We were always begging him to make the dancer dance, and he'd usually happily oblige us. I have very fond memories of that. lol

I have a friend with full sleeves. They're very colorful...and I think they're cool. He covers them up for work. He's an HVAC guy, so he works outside a lot. He's one of the nicest people I know.

It's kind of weird (to me) that I'm so wishy washy about tattoos, but I have a strict rule about no bumper stickers on my car. LOL
Have I ever told you what I suggested to my sons about tattoos? I told them that they should get whatever they think they want, printed out and write at the bottom where they want it, and the date. Then hang that piece of paper somewhere that they will see it every day, and wait one year. After that, if they still want the same art in the same place, then they should do it. If you can't commit for a year, you can't commit for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
For some, it is a personal piece of artwork that is sometimes a reflection of part of their life. I'm surprised someone would want to get one at an older age. Tattoos don't really look great once the ink starts to bleed out and lines get fuzzy.

I don't have any, I used to want to get some, but I'm glad I didn't. I did stretch my earlobes for some time. They've since gone back to normal as I got tired of cleaning the ear cheese and took them out.
Mine are. The art I've got up my ribs on both sides, I drew myself. And I have a large portrait of my Great Aunt, done after she died, on my right thigh. I drew the cameo filigree frame and roses that surround it, but the portrait is from a photo of her taken when she was in her 20's. Looks like a vintage movie star. She was my most influential relative and my biggest role model, and I choose to honor her. I would not get art of anyone still living though, as those relationships still have room to change.

Thing is...I don't believe that tattoos on older skin look bad. I have seen models for tattoo mags who are quite elderly, and there's a gorgeous woman in her late 50's named Julie H. (aka "The Burning Lotus") who does nude photo shoots and has a lot of tattoos. They look good, and she looks good. I see those photos and hope I age so gracefully.

Thing is, we'll all age. You can have wrinkly old skin, or wrinkly old skin with tattoos on it. I don't see much difference. I guess my opinion about those who feel moved to actually complain about it is...why would you assume that anyone presents themselves for the effect they'll have on you specifically? Or any stranger, really? Or even anyone other than they themselves? My ink is covered by my clothing practically always. But when I am home, looking in my mirror, I like to enjoy what I see. Strangers' opinions of me don't matter, but MY opinion of me, does.

Side effects over time, of having gotten tattoos, though... Well, they are an investment in time, money, and pain. And the emotional investment I've got in the art itself. So I've learned to care a whole lot more about protecting my skin from the sun, since sun is what usually causes tattoos to fade and blur. (Those older people with beautiful ink, are often pale ones with tattoos that were well done in the first place. Not prison or Navy art on aged sun-worshippers.) So I'm taking better care of my skin and avoiding harmful sun radiation, because I care about my ink. Also, I keep my body in shape because the line art on my ribs would not look as good if I get fat. I care about myself as a canvas for this expression, more than I care about how my body looks "just because."

But I am also an artist, who doesn't put on makeup and get fancy hairstyles, I tend to place the value of art I care about, over looking "just like all the other women, but prettier if possible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

Money is the main reason I don't have more tattoos. It's very expensive. I can think of many other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Masochism is a reason I WOULD get more tattoos. I enjoy the endorphin rush and brain-high from pain. It was part of why I totally get how some people are "addicted." You literally get a chemical high from your own natural pain mechanisms from it, if you go for a big piece in a sensitive area like I did. But there are other ways for me to experience non-harmful pain highs without paying thousands for it. *shrug*

Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM

14,213 posts, read 11,504,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Thing is...I don't believe that tattoos on older skin look bad. I have seen models for tattoo mags who are quite elderly, and there's a gorgeous woman in her late 50's named Julie H. (aka "The Burning Lotus") who does nude photo shoots and has a lot of tattoos. They look good, and she looks good. I see those photos and hope I age so gracefully.
Heehee. You must be very young indeed, if you view late 50s as "elderly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty