Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:50 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times

Advertisements

I think people are riding a wave. Rock musicians have always had them. Hip-Hop came around to it and Hip-Hop being the leading form of music now sort of made them interesting. Didn't hurt matters you had Ed Hardy, a tattoo artist, one of the leading clothing designers in the early aughts. Ed Hardy took skulls and a lot of aesthetic ideas that were previously seen as dark, Gothic, satanic or evil and brought them to the mainstream. So the tattoo thing does not surprise me.

Do I think it is here to stay? Probably not. Throughout history tattoos have existed but it was their significance that kept them in certain circles. They weren't mainstream. I'd give it another 5 years, maybe 10 to 15 max.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 30,022 times
Just curious - what happened to the “no tattoo threads” prohibition? New administration here?

That said - for the record. I got my first about 2-1/2 years ago at age 70 (so I’m not too worried about what it will look like when I’m old.) The piece has deep personal significance to me and I’m quite fond of it. By some measures, that first tattoo was fifty years in the making.

And, I have a pending appointment for my second piece. I’m rushing into this one - only been thinking about it for a year and a half.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 AM

6,378 posts, read 3,857,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What a small amount of self-esteem one must have, to think that tattoos would give them an "identity".
Or maybe they simply like them. You don't do anything to give you an "identity," right? (Whatever the hell that means.)

Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,957,988 times
I don’t have any tattoos at 59, but I to have noticed in the past few years the trend of tattoos is not slowing down.

Where as a few years ago neck tattoos were barely seen and now they are much more prevalent here in the southeast and what is surprising is the acceptance or should I say the desire to apply ink to your face. I am seeing more and more of this. I see mostly little ones, but I have seen some larger ink on faces recently.

I don’t judge, just curious of the growing fascination of tatttos on those from all walks of life, and sometimes not one but partial or full body art.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And really old tattoos. Fade and bleed out into the skin looking like some form of spreading skin cancer. Why blemish your skin like that?
I think a couple well placed tattoos can look very attractive on younger people. But, as we age, our tattoos age and no longer look as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Wow. A lot of judgment here about something that will never affect you.
People are just giving their opinion - as the OP asked for. Not necessarily judging.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM

27,539 posts, read 15,944,799 times
I love a beautiful womans skin. IMO, There’s nothing attractive about covering it up. If you’re ugly, cover it up all you want. Cant hurt.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 AM

19,364 posts, read 12,017,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Seriously, how many of these tattoo bashing threads do we need?

If you don't like them, fine, why create a thread baiting and antagonizing people who have them or want one?

It's too bad tattoo threads aren't automatically deleted on this section of the forum.
They are a fashion choice, like capris. If posters on a fashion board can opine negatively or positively on other fashion choices, why not tattoos.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:32 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,202,764 times
I've always considered holes in one's skin as something to be avoided, not to be put there intentionally.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM

151 posts, read 87,109 times
I have tattoos. My red hair I consider part of my identity. My tattoos, not so much. I am having one removed. Ironically enough, it's the one no one ever sees (although all of mine are easily covered, as I'm a pretty modest dresser).

I won't get anymore due to religious reasons, but this doesn't mean I regret the ones I have. With the exception of the one, they all still have strong meaning for me and powerful memories as to why I got them in the frst place.

In the end, it's a person's choice that (presuming your not taking bill money to get one) affects no one other than the recipient.

And just for he record, I'm in the medical field; never had an issue getting a job or been asked to cover anything.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,297,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are a fashion choice, like capris. If posters on a fashion board can opine negatively or positively on other fashion choices, why not tattoos.
It’s one thing to opine negatively about capris ... it’s a completely different thing to opine negatively about the wearers simply because they choose capris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty