Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times

Advertisements

One would think that at 52, she would have outgrown such a thing, but my dear wife announced to me that her 21yo daughter invited her to go get tattoos together today. Same tattoo in the same location. I just don't get it. I have yet to see an attractive tattoo, on anyone, even the three that wifey already has from before we met. I'm 56 and never had any desire for a tattoo and never will. My 26 & 23 yo daughters don't have any tattoos (to the best of my knowledge anyway) and their mother would freak out if they got one. Wifey also has a "no visible tattoos" dress code policy at her employer. With the location she told me, with her dress she wore today to work, it would be highly visible, but she is doing it anyway. She actually had a district manager admonish her because her chest incision from her open heart surgery was partially visible one day. Yes, she survived a heart attack, had heart surgery and just this past week her cardiologist informed her that she has a heart defect. Yet she is getting inked today and risking an infection.

I don't understand tattooing. Somebody enlighten me.

Moderator note to all members: DO NOT resort to bashing and rude posts in this thread. If you do, the thread will be locked.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-11-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I have wondered about that as well. I think it gives people a sense of identity, for one, to have a distinct marking in a world of many people. It makes them unique and they draw attention. They may also have a feeling a being rebellious in a way in a society of rules. I think it is also a form of self expression and some do it because it is a form of art and expression of control. Maybe some do it because their friends do it (peer pressure).

Why do people not do it? If tattoos are visible, it is hard to become gainfully employed, although, I think the tattoos are becoming more accepted over time in the work place.

In the case of your wife, it may be a form of bonding with her daughter.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post

In the case of your wife, it may be a form of bonding with her daughter.

They can just go get their nails done after having lunch

Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

... even the three that wifey already has from before we met.

I'm 56 and never had any desire for a tattoo and never will. My 26 & 23 yo daughters don't have any tattoos (to the best of my knowledge anyway) and their mother would freak out if they got one.

I don't understand tattooing. Somebody enlighten me.
She's a different person and has different opinions from you.

She's the one who should enlighten you.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Some people like them. Some people don't. Simple as that.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
People get tattoos to feel significant or get attention. Whether it's to "be different" is a whole other thing. The problem is that young people who impetuously get these large tattoos don't have the perspective just how permanent they are. I know a guy whose sister died in a car accident and in his grief he immediately got a giant tattoo of her death date put on his shoulder/chest. I wonder if he regrets having to see that sad reminder every time he takes off his shirt. Tattoo removal is painful, expensive, and for the larger "sleeves" often not effective either.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:52 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have wondered about that as well. I think it gives people a sense of identity, for one, to have a distinct marking in a world of many people. It makes them unique and they draw attention. They may also have a feeling a being rebellious in a way in a society of rules. I think it is also a form of self expression and some do it because it is a form of art and expression of control. Maybe some do it because their friends do it (peer pressure).
I think the rebellious aspect is pretty much gone, these days. If everyone is rebellious, no one is rebellious.

And it's pretty sad if people think there is nothing unique about them and/or they have no sense of identity, if they don't have a tattoo.

Art? The artistic element is questionable. Getting a tattoo of your choice is about as artistic these days as having a doormat "personalized" with your family name.

I really think that these days, most people get tattoos because tattoos are fashionable. Call it "peer pressure" or what you will, the majority of people tend to follow the fads.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
They can just go get their nails done after having lunch
Their nails will last a week. A tattoo lasts forever.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, OP, considering the bad news she got from the doctor, I think, that if she feels a little artwork might cheer her up and maybe put a spring in her step for however many years she has left (she could keel tomorrow, you know), then so be it. I wouldn't begrudge her that, and I speak as someone who shares your opinion of tattoos.

I don't understand her getting a highly-visible one, when there's a dress code at work, though. I was envisioning a discreet flower in a discreet place, something like that. But maybe, since she just found out, that her heart is playing Russian roulette on a daily basis, she decided to damn the torpedos, and go full speed ahead with life?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I suggest she get a different job, lol.

And like quite a few people, death coming knocking at the door often makes them free of restraints they pretty much hated their whole life, and start living how they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty