U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM

48 posts, read 10,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
You're making something black and white that is a bit more grey.

The guys who are fine just shaving it off and going about their life may be guys who already have high confidence and/or feel they have other more important things defining their life than a hairline they have no control over. If you're confident in yourself and have other things to offer other than looks, you won't have to worry about what some women swoon for or what people expect intelligence or leadership to look like. You'll get yours regardless. Also, there is plenty of proof in the world that lots of women find bald men attractive or even prefer it. If you're single and bald and someone doesn't want to date you because you're bald, move on! Plenty of other woman out there for you.

The ones who become obsessed trying to keep their hair may end up falling into the caveat paragraph:
I'm not.
And it doesn't seem very grey to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,097,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Such a small pool of people doesn't prove anything. I'd say that many people would prefer someone with a full head of hair and not bald/balding.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bald...eojMRkA0ROYchU
Terrible headline. Article's all about perception, not reality. Headline (no pun intended, in this instance?) suggests otherwise.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM

547 posts, read 137,574 times
This thread almost reminds me of George in the Seinfeld Abstinence episode.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM

6,562 posts, read 3,710,079 times
Says a group of bald scientists.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:04 PM

3,313 posts, read 1,237,951 times
it is a perception thing.
like, the first 5 seconds.
bald is bad.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:41 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,134,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Not true! It has been shown the man with the full head of hair, hairy chest and hairy back has it all in the intelligence department not to mention sex appeal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/t...e-1328285.html
I don't know about the intelligence department, but as for sex appeal, a full head of hair, yes, a bit of hair on the chest, okay, but a hairy back... yuck! nope!

Some bald men are quite sexy, but I think it's all a bunch of hooey that they are more intelligent. They might be intelligent, but no more or less than a guy with a full head of hair.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM

9,055 posts, read 2,954,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Not true! It has been shown the man with the full head of hair, hairy chest and hairy back has it all in the intelligence department not to mention sex appeal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/t...e-1328285.html

So true! Balding men have seemed to me to be more unfriendly, even hostile, towards those who have full heads of hair. I regard balding as regressive evolution and it's obvious that it's not a trait favored by women.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,973,461 times
Tell that to Einstein.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,346,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So true! Balding men have seemed to me to be more unfriendly, even hostile, towards those who have full heads of hair. I regard balding as regressive evolution and it's obvious that it's not a trait favored by women.
I agree that male (not to mention the distress of female balding) balding isn't a trait favored by most women, but I would like to ask a question and make a couple comments.

!) You mention that you regard balding as "regressive evolution". Just curious if you could explain that. Evidence seems to show that most of our "ancestors" along the evolutionary chain had more hair than we currently do...even the most hairy amongst us. As we started evolving we started losing hair in more places, or at least it thinned out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, explain how having less hair would be "regressing evolution" in your opinion.

I would assert that perhaps "smart" phones are a form of regressive evolution. We've got a lot of people who rather than walking upright, as I thought modem humans were supposed to do, are walking hunched over with their heads down during most of the day. Seems we're well on our way to losing our erect posture, and heading back to walking on 4 legs as it were....lol.

2) Society determines what is considered beauty and attractive to a large degree. It's a fluid opinion. Years ago, if you had pale white skin, society looked up to you because it meant you were one of the affluent class who didn't need to toil outside in the fields, in the sun. You were one of the elites who was able to stay inside and sip lemonade during the heat of the day.

Fast forward to now. Now it's 180 degrees opposite. If you have pale skin it means you're a worker bee toiling in a factory, or retail store somewhere, out of the sun during the day, as opposed to the affluent who are able to vacation in sunny places all year, or sit outside at Starbucks sipping lemonade during the day.

Years ago, if you were plump, or even fat, that was a sign of prosperity, while all the working class was struggling to keep food on the table, and were mostly skin and bones. People looked upon the elite class, who had more meat on their bones fondly...as those who were affluent, had made it in life as opposed to being skinny and poor due to not being able to afford enough food.

Fast forward to now. It's 180 degrees opposite. Being heavy/fat is now looked upon as a negative. If you're skin and bones, you're more likely to be a member of the elite, the affluent, who can afford to join the health club, and do other social/physical activities during the day while the worker bees are sitting at their computer putting data in for the "boss man" and eating junk food for lunch, only to run home to do all the normal chores to support a family...leaving little time for healthy food/cooking, and a comprehensive exercise plan at the club, or exercise room in your home.

In other words, we value and find beauty in what is less prevalent, we value what is harder to achieve, we value that which is scarce....and it's a very fluid opinion over time as to what we deem attractive, desirable and beautiful. There are fairly few middle age men with full heads of hair...so that is what we value more.

I'm not disagreeing, as a balding middle age man myself, I'd rather have a full head of hair too....but understanding why we value what we do, and understanding how we come to such conclusions is important, not to mention interesting to discuss.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 AM

3,204 posts, read 5,016,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
As a guy who shaves his head, honestly, I've never noticed this, nor is it something I even think about. Sure, I'm sure there is some percentage of guys who have natural hair loss who are or might be jealous to some degree. I'm not going to say that doesn't exist. But I find it very hard to believe that, as some observable whole, balding men are hostile or unfriendly to men with hair. It's probably a pretty small percent. Even less so to any degree that other people would notice. If the experience of others is anything like my own, it isn't something people are even thinking about in their day to day.

When I was in my 20s and losing it I was bummed about it. Shaved it, it looked good, and I've never looked back. As a male in my 30s, I never look at another adult man my age and say 'gee I wish I had his hair' or even 'that guy has nice hair'. I don't even think about their hair. I do notice how people carry themselves, how they treat others, how they dress, etc.

Last edited by Sunbather; 05-22-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or