Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 05:50 AM

605 posts, read 519,872 times

Advertisements

Looking to replace my aging dress shirts. I only wear them a few times a year, but all but a couple of the ones I currently have need to be thrown out. I prefer wrinkle free.

Also I am 62 so I need something that comes in "classic" fit.

Last edited by Preston3124; 05-31-2019 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Added something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,178,619 times
I would suggest the good old LL Bean oxford button down. It's pretty much all I buy. Also, it comes in my slightly unusual size (long arms), rather than having to paw through stacks and stacks of shirts at the department store sized for fat guys with short arms and thick necks who like their shirts to be too tight.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
The LL Bean shirt is nice, but expensive. My in-Laws buy me one of those each year for Christmas or my birthday. they are nice looking and sturdy shirts (and they come with my initials embroidered on the sleeve or pocket). But they are expensive.

If I am buying dress shirts for myself, I just watch the clothing stores for a big sale. If they have them for $20 or less, I buy all they have in my size. Doing it this way, I only have to buy dress shirts every 5 or 6 years, so I have plenty of time to watch for sales.

Kind of a side note, I much prefer the ones with a moving collar button. Depending on weather, what I eat and drink, how much sleep I get etc, my neck changes sizes and my normal shirts end up too large/loose or uncomfortably tight at the collar. I also find the shirts with adjustable collar buttons last longer because the collar button does not break.

Sure I put aside any shirts that the collar buttons break because it is not so hard to sew a new button on it. Then the shirt sits in the pile of shirts with missing/broken buttons until my wife takes it to the cleaners and has them put a new button on it or I throw the shirt out. The idea of sewing a new button on myself is a good one. Not that hard. However it just doesn't happen.

Also skip the shirts that have a second button on the sleeve(about 4" from your wrist - not a second button that allows you to make the cuff tighter - although that one serves no purpose either). It serves no purpose and you will end up going through some days with it not buttoned and looking like a slob. Better to just not have the unnecessary button there. Then you will never forget to button it.

Expensive white shirts are not worth the money IMO. They may look a tiny bit nicer, but no one really notices. They do not last longer. At least not for me. I virtually never wear out a dress shirt. Instead I stain it or it turns yellow from too many washings or the collar gets icky and I throw it away. The only shirts that have worn out are a few that lasted 15 years or so and the elbow wore through. That is pretty rare though. It does not matter what brand you buy 15 years is about the most you are going to get out of any shirt, and if you trash them in less than 15 years it is because of stains/discoloration not wear. Although the LL bean shirts for not wear through at the elbow like some cheaper shirts do after 15 years, I still have not had an LL Bean shirt last more than 15 years. They get stained, yellow or the collar gets icky, just like almost every other dress shirt.

So I just roughed out a number for curiosity sake. I estimate I have worn a dress shirt about 9,000 times in my life so far. That is a lot of dress shirts.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-31-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 958,313 times
I like Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts. They just had a promo of 4 dress shirts for $199. Basically $50 a shirt is not bad IMHO. They have many varieties of patterns and colors. If you only wear them a few times a year, these would last you for quite some time.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 AM

8,297 posts, read 3,872,379 times
I have to wear a casual business "dress shirt" every day. Would never pay more that $25 a shirt, why should I when no one pays the slightest attention to my attire? You can usually find Arrow shirts in that range, the 65/35 blend seems to wash and wear just fine.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
If you are somewhat bulky, Duluth Trading makes well made casual dress shirts that fit larger men.

Bean shirts are cut somewhat full as well. I think Bean makes solid, quality items that are usually worth their price. Since you don’t buy these often, but will wear them a long time, I think you should buy a good quality shirt for yourself.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:13 PM

50,036 posts, read 63,371,030 times
Hubby has both LLBean and Lands End oxford, no iron. They are all old now, but still look like new. LLBean’s no iron is TRULY no touch up needed.

If you only need a few shirts, buy quality, one at a time, rather than a bunch of crumpled I’ll fitting ones.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:32 PM

160 posts, read 123,975 times
By far hands down best bang for buck ($25 or so) dress shirts are the Port Authority brand shirts.

Buy them on Amazon. They are made out of an amazing no iron fabric. Every time someone touches or brushes against my shirt they never fail to compliment the feel of these shirts. Incredibly soft.

Plus toss it in the wash, then light dry. I take them out while just a tad damp. I flap them out once and hang it up. Looks great every time.

Make sure you figure out how to get in touch with me so you can profusely thank me for this tip. These shirts are THAT nice!

I'm your age as well and find the fit to be great too.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:16 PM

21,669 posts, read 24,806,479 times
Charles Tyrwhitt (3/$99). Get one of their coupons buying typing something like "Brooks Brothers shirts" in Google and, wallah, 3/$99 advertisement coupon.
Brooks Brothers sales

Mostly it's fit though, those brands just happen to fit me pretty. A lot of people they fit like garbage bags with arm holes.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 PM
46H

1,647 posts, read 1,381,265 times
Macys house brand - Club Room. They are usually on sale for around $20. The are well made and come in a ton of sizes including classic sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty