Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
My extreme physical beauty and sex appeal gets me in the door and helps me keep my job. If I were fat and middle-aged, my odd personality would be too offensive and I would be fired. Because I am pretty, young, thin and sexy, they keep me around and I have been promoted a few times in spite of my personality.
Why did you start a thread, then, saying your boss and others have told you to "be more normal" if you want to get promoted?

So, I guess you figure, your looks buy you the right to be weird and offensive? Let's see how long that works for you, as you navigate life.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:42 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)

But-----I feel like I need to point out the obvious. You're not a model. You may be amazingly gorgeous, but somehow you are not working as a model. In another thread you noted how you relate well to creative people like actors. Another field where looks can be important---but you are not working as one, either.

You're employed as an office manager, so not sure what professional doors were opened for you. I have heard of receptionists getting hired just for their looks and to promote a company image, but an office manager would have some technical skills, as well as managerial skills. Hard to believe that someone would be hired, even for a low-level managerial position, without experience and skills.

Socially--what doors have opened up for you? You were with a guy who you say abused you for three years. You say it gave you self-confidence and made your sex life better, but how great could yours ex life have been with someone who abused you? Why didn't you have the confidence to leave and be with one of the many men who purportedly would be interested in you? If that's the type of doors your looks have opened for you, then I am grateful to have my humble looks and have a husband who treats me well and values me for intrinsic qualities, even as I age.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I commend you OP for utilizing your asset . It will serve you well. May I inquire though :
Will it stop cancer? Has it met your goals of being humble and gracious?
How has it stopped poverty in your community? Is it the panacea for creating peace amongst nations?
A lady name Sophia Lorene Stunning through out the ages. She encompasses beauty,grace and a sense of confidence . She certainly has paved the way for what beauty and confidence can achieve.
The difference is..she is demure,classy , talented. Something that takes years to build. You aren't there yet. Go achieve some tasks that influence the world for the better. Right now your just putting lipstick on a hoofed animal and calling it a show horse.
You've been blessed with good assets, be careful in how you convey your gratitude for such.

Fwiw, and to answer the general question. My delusional confidence when I used my looks got me associated with the wrong group of go getters. Superficial and no depth. Lesson learned though.

Now when I am in the presence of a person heading down that path.. I simply wish them well and hope they learn their lesson too...as ugly as it is. It's a lesson ...

Old 06-04-2019, 01:54 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why did you start a thread, then, saying your boss and others have told you to "be more normal" if you want to get promoted?

So, I guess you figure, your looks buy you the right to be weird and offensive? Let's see how long that works for you, as you navigate life.
Yeah, in 30 years when there's a new hot young thing at the front desk and she's the weird, self-centered older lady who never learned how to get along with people, that'll be fun.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
My extreme physical beauty and sex appeal gets me in the door and helps me keep my job. If I were fat and middle-aged, my odd personality would be too offensive and I would be fired. Because I am pretty, young, thin and sexy, they keep me around and I have been promoted a few times in spite of my personality.
Geezus! I was giving you the benefit of the doubt on your first thread, but you’re conceited beyond measure. No wonder you have so much trouble. Odd is one thing; ego-driven narcissism is another.

The reason people don’t like you is probably the fact that you offend them with your lack of tact and self-awareness. Learn to zip it.

Perhaps you suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Old 06-04-2019, 02:18 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I can only tell you that very few women remain classically beautiful in old age. I was always attractive, through my 50s, but since then, it has gone way down hill. I look at pictures of my grandmothers and I see myself.

OP, enjoy it while it lasts but know that it will not always be this way. If your grandmothers are still beautiful, you might have a chance.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Studies have shown that attractive and tall people tend to be seen as more capable in the workplace, get higher salaries, etc.
It's beauty AND confidence. A beautiful person with no confidence will be ignored, and the short and fat woman who exudes confidence will get the promotion any day.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I mean, it's silly to say attractiveness doesn't come with privilege. It does. My appearance has afforded me privilege in life, and it can influence my self-confidence, but it doesn't reflect the entirety of my identity. I have plenty of other things that impact my overall self-confidence.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
All I can say is, whatever self confidence I have does not come from being good looking. Where I have confidence is when I see or understand something that has eluded others. I have opinions, and I am pretty confident acting on, and talking about them.

I think I have confidence in my brain power.

But I have always been very average looking. Not ugly, but nothing beyond slightly attractive.

And mastering something has always given my confidence a boost.

I think your good looks can help you out initially, but if you are not perceptive, a dependable worker, and a team player you might stall out fairly early.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)

None because beauty is fleeting and I knew that even at 16 years old. I enjoyed my youth, enjoyed being pretty,enjoyed fashion but the core of my self confidence and self esteem has always been rooted on developing personality,intellectual and creative growth,social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty