Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM

40 posts, read 24,415 times

Advertisements

I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)

Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
In my experience, the shallow teapot does the most spouting, and boils dry the most quickly.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Beauty doesn't get you very far in life. I'm saying that as an attractive woman. People have commented that I have a great smile and am photogenic. It only gives me confidence for a few seconds, like at a water park or beach or walking around the grocery store.

Even if your looks got you a job, it won't help you do the job well. So while I am pretty, that alone won't pay the bills.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Beauty gets you nowhere in life.

Your post screams of narcism and I also think a twelve year old boy wrote it but I'll play.

Yes, I have grown up my entire life as very attractive. I have dated professional athletes and celebrities in my day.

Never once have I relied on my looks except for the time I used it to lure my husband into my clutches.

That said, I've always relied on my 145 IQ to get me through life.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:41 PM

If you are talking about a young woman who is simply pretty, you are likely right. But if she is just plain gorgeous, sexy, and one in a thousand with the confidence that comes from all the attention and admiration that comes from the beauty, the world is handed to them on a silver platter.

Take a look at AOC (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ). She is not the most beautiful woman in the world but many people find her quite attractive. Her picture is on the Internet on news and entertainment sites every day. Why? She is no genius and she says lots of silly things, but her beauty and youth give her a pass. People like to look at her! If she was a 200 pound 45-year-old plain looking woman no one would pay attention to her. In the office, I have seen lots of beautiful women given the matter of the doubt and moved ahead because people want to be around beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Beauty doesn't get you very far in life. I'm saying that as an attractive woman. People have commented that I have a great smile and am photogenic. It only gives me confidence for a few seconds, like at a water park or beach or walking around the grocery store.

Even if your looks got you a job, it won't help you do the job well. So while I am pretty, that alone won't pay the bills.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Studies have shown that attractive and tall people tend to be seen as more capable in the workplace, get higher salaries, etc.

That said, you seem overly preoccupied with your purported beauty and its supposed impact on your life and opportunities. And "exploiting your greatest asset" in a professional setting? That's... off.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post

I have seen lots of beautiful women given the matter of the doubt and moved ahead because people want to be around beauty.
Mod cut.

Some people want to be around beauty, but most people who work want to be around people who can do the work.

Your theory also doesn't explain people like Margaret Thatcher or Janet Reno.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-07-2019 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I read that the most successful people exploit their greatest asset. As a woman in my late 20s who have been called pretty, beautiful, model-like and gorgeous by both men and women, I know that I am quite attractive physically.

Being beautiful has been my identity for most of my life. My mother used to tell me that when I was young, family friends and relatives would always comment about how pretty I was. I got lots of comments and positive reinforcement growing up because of my beauty. It gave self-confidence and made my sex life much better because I was confident about my sex appeal and body. My beauty opened up lots of doors socially and professionally.

Because I want to keep my beauty and self-confidence for as many years as possible, I spend a lot of money and time on my physical fitness, hair, makeup and skin treatments. I follow the lateness styles and how to use makeup to my advantage. It seems to work because people still keep talking about my beauty.

Now, if only people liked my personality! (See my other posts)
Very little. I learned at a very young age that I was outside the definition of generally-accepted "beauty". Thank goodness for that lesson. Quit worrying about it, dropped it, and went on to more important things. If all you can contribute to the world is a pretty visage that's quite sad really. It is a brittle transient quality that can be taken away from you in a flash. If you've never learned self-confidence through being a decent person, what will you have to fall back on? There are other assets a person can have that don't require exploitation!! Those assets get more and more valuable with use. Unlike "beauty". Some assets get used up over time, other assets just get enhanced over time. Which would you think might be better to have? OP I hope you are simply young and teachable...creating more threads that give you the opportunity to brag about your gorgeousness isn't working.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, pardon me for being blunt, but what good is having self-confidence from your physical appearance, when your personality sucks to the point that your supervisors are telling you, you need to get along better with coworkers, or you won't progress in your career? Something like that could cost you your career, in fact. And yet, you insist it's the rest of the world, or those in your work environment, who are the problem because they're boring; you couldn't possibly be the problem. Maybe your appearance gets you in the job door, but it won't help you keep the job, if your manner is somehow abrasive, off-putting or strange.

A reordering of priorities is called for, IMO.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, pardon me for being blunt, but what good is having self-confidence from your physical appearance, when your personality sucks to the point that your supervisors are telling you, you need to get along better with coworkers, or you won't progress in your career? Something like that could cost you your career, in fact. And yet, you insist it's the rest of the world, or those in your work environment, who are the problem because they're boring; you couldn't possibly be the problem. Maybe your appearance gets you in the job door, but it won't help you keep the job, if your manner is somehow abrasive, off-putting or strange.

A reordering of priorities is called for, IMO.
My extreme physical beauty and sex appeal gets me in the door and helps me keep my job. If I were fat and middle-aged, my odd personality would be too offensive and I would be fired. Because I am pretty, young, thin and sexy, they keep me around and I have been promoted a few times in spite of my personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty