Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Sure. I don't want people seeing if I've made a major faux pas (like underwear hanging out) and nor do I want much attention in general, even if something unusual might be appreciated by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I would say I DO care, most of the time. But something inside me has changed since when I was younger. Seems like, now that I'm older, I'm not going to take it to heart, if I don't quite measure up to someone else's standard.

I think when I was younger, if I drew criticism over something I was wearing, I'd wonder if I was fundamentally flawed or something. Now, I guess I'd just sigh. Can't please everyone at the same time.

Really, about the only time I really don't care what I have on, is if I've been gardening in the yard, and I run out of something...like say top soil, mulch, etc, and need to run to the store to get more. I am NOT cleaning up for something like that. People of Walmart, here I come!

Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I remember being taught years ago that you only have one chance at a good first impression. If you want that to be wearing sweatpants and a wifebeater, go for it. I choose otherwise.

Last edited by Copanut; 06-19-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 02:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I remember being taught years ago that you only have one chance at a good first impression. If you want that to be wearing sweatpants and a wifebeater, go for it. I choose otherwise.

Well, I'm not into sweatpants or wifebeaters...but I might be wearing cut-offs and my Welcome to Woodbury tshirt...and if I'm not making a good impression I guess we'll just have to live with that.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:18 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Sure I care at least a little, living in a resort area it is easy to get sick of seeing folks walk off a beach straight into a grocery store, etc, geezz- a sarong, a shirt would lessen the involuntary scolding looks and stop tracking sand all over the place - animals! lol
You mean....they stroll into stores wearing nothing more than a bathing suit?

Yeah, I can see your point. How hard is it to put on a pareo? And nowadays, some designers have come out with snazzy beach pants for women, as a cover-up. Not to mention the tunic-style beach cover-ups. Some of those items are very nice looking, and being nylon, they dry instantly.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I know very few people where I live, so Ive been known to rush to the nearest store for an ingredient without looking nice.

However, if I’m getting dressed to go out for the day I have made up my face, and have a casual, but stylish outfit on.

I will not, under any circumstances, except if an ambulance is picking me up, go out without taking care of my appearance.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Last weekend, while I gardening, my husband asked if I wanted shopping with him. Nothing special, just a local shop. I dusted off my knees, but my pants were still pretty dirty. My shirt and my hair were fine. No big deal.

While checking out, I noticed women looking at me. Guess these women never garden or get messy. It was actually funny. However, it shows people will judge you for what you wear.
I remember one time, while removing popcorn ceiling from our home, we had to run to Lowes for something. Here I was in my husband's white tee, worn jeans and clogs. All covered with white ceiling material.

This was actually empowering, like I was some sort of bad a$$ woman, who worked. Liked it!!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I've always loved fashion and I love walking out of the house knowing I look good. I really don't care what others think for the most part. I dress appropriately for wherever I may be going. Now if I overhead someone saying something like "that color looks horrible on her", I might take that into consideration and ask a close friend or family member if that were true and if it were I might not wear it again so I guess I care to a certain degree.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:01 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I remember one time, while removing popcorn ceiling from our home, we had to run to Lowes for something. Here I was in my husband's white tee, worn jeans and clogs. All covered with white ceiling material.

This was actually empowering, like I was some sort of bad a$$ woman, who worked. Liked it!!
A bad a$$ woman can work with her mind too....

I don't need to be equal to a man in physical strength....or how I dress. I want to be appropriately dressed for the occasion but I always want to have my girly "flair".

Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Kind of. I want to be perceived as put together and appropriate for the occasion. I also likely wear some things, some people, would think are inappropriate for my age/shape/size. There are plenty of people, in this forum even, who think it is inappropriate for anyone in a double digit size to wear form fitting clothing. I disagree with that. Though not all form fitting things work equally well - and I think there are some smart parameters about balance, proportions, undergarments and fabric weight.

I'm not super concerned about it. But it enters the back of my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty