U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 AM

7,212 posts, read 6,567,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I hope some women who are in their 40's and 50's chip in here to say they have been shaving their faces since they were in their 20's. I'm wondering if they regret starting shaving? The reason I ask is that I am just afraid for all of you younger women that shave your faces, that as you age the peach fuzz will get more coarse and you'll end up with stubble like men do.

Think it can't/doesn't happen? My brother married a woman when she was in her 50's, so I don't know what her facial hair was like when she was younger. She had a rather large round face and when she hugged our family upon arrival at family events, my boys used to laugh and make jokes afterwards about getting whisker burns. It was certainly true. Her face felt exactly like going cheek to cheek with a man. Just be careful that shaving that peach fuzz doesn't come back to bite you in the ass.

I use a facial hair removal product to get rid of the hair around my mouth. It happens when you age, along with the long hairs that sprout along your chin line.

On the other hand, the rate and amount of growth of hair on my legs has slowed right down. I hardly have to shave my legs any more... maybe 5 times/ summer. It is the same with my eyebrows. There is less and less hair to pluck and for some strange reason, it doesn't hurt like it used to lol.

Late 70's here and I've been shaving my upper lip for over 60 years, since I was a kid in elementary school. It's never grown coarser, thicker or darker than usual. I'm a brunette and all my life since I was a child that was the only place on my face where I had soft, short, fine hairs that was just dark enough to be noticeable so I looked like I had an over-tanned upper lip, or a dirty lip. I was born with it like that. So I've always shaved my 'moustache' since I was around 9 or 10 years old - probably about once every 3 - 4 weeks since that's how long it takes to grow back. Sometimes I let it go for awhile longer but it never changes in texture, length or colour.

I've always had peach fuzz on the rest of my face too but other than on the upper lip it has always been so light coloured and short it wasn't notably visible so I never bothered much with shaving the rest of my face. Except any time I'll be going to some special event and will be wearing a full face of cosmetics then I will always shave all the peach fuzz off my whole face, and tweeze my eyebrows. It really does make a huge difference to providing greater ease and more even, smoother blending and coverage of cosmetics to the face. I've never had a problem with any of it growing back thicker, coarser or darker.

In the past 10 years or so I've developed a bit more facial fuzz growing near the temples and at the jawline just under the ears, and longer fuzz at the back of my neck - but to compensate for that all of my other body hair has slowed or stopped growing altogether so I no longer need to shave stubble off my legs and underarms more than once a month to 6 weeks. I still have a full head of thick, fast growing head hair though - that has never changed except for the colour as I have aged.

I think it's perfectly safe for women to shave the hair off their faces as long as they have steady hands and don't cut themselves. I think it's a lot more comfortable and safer than tweezing or electrolosis or using waxes or other kinds of depilatories and creams. I once tried a facial hair remover cream on my upper lip when I was a teenager - I think it was called Nair, for the face, and I instantly had a horrible reaction to it and ended up with a weeping, blistered rash that took a couple of weeks to heal. I took time off from school while I was healing from that, didn't dare show my face in school. After that I never again tried any other kind of hair removing tools or products on my face except for a plain ordinary razor for the fuzz, and tweezers and tiny scissors for my eyebrows.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-21-2019 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 AM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have to wax my upper lip and shave my chin hairs. Id do the laser thing, but it only works on dark hair, and mine is light.

It one of my greatest fears that Ill get too old and out of it to remove it. After chemo I had downy hair, like peach fuzz on my face. I shaved it off and it never came back.
The indignity of age. I'm not sure why, but I get Ewok face every winter. I don't usually have a problem with the upper lip or chin, but my eyebrows make up for it.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM

35,423 posts, read 10,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooul View Post
Shaving will grow the hair.

No, it wont.

Shaving has no impact on the growth cycle of hair anywhere.

BTW, I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing the marvels of high-definition TV, which exposes every pimple, pore, and....peach fuzz. I was watching one of the morning squawk shows the other day, and a close-up revealed short little blond hairs on the woman's face, a few going in different directions.

This must hinder the application of makeup. A quick swipe here and there would take care of it, too.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Shaving does not grow coarse hair, the hair follicles determine the hair growth.

Natural hairs are tapered when they grow, shaving cuts the taper off making them seem coarser.

I've always shaved off peach fuzz, and of course, no changes to the hair. Other than that I epilate everything. Becuase you pull the hair out, it grows back with the tapered head, so I never get leg stubble.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM

68 posts, read 41,128 times
What is the best way to approach this to my wife who sometimes plucks her chin hairs, but there is alot that she missed. Would giving her a box of Nair wax be ok?

Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM

9,777 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs45 View Post
What is the best way to approach this to my wife who sometimes plucks her chin hairs, but there is alot that she missed. Would giving her a box of Nair wax be ok?
If it doesn't bother HER, then you don't say anything.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it doesn't bother HER, then you don't say anything.
But, our near vision deteriorates as we age, so maybe she doesn't see them?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 41,128 times
It's a big turn off.

Would it be better hearing it from a friend?

She seems to have no problem seeing the hair in my ears.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM

9,777 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But, our near vision deteriorates as we age, so maybe she doesn't see them?
If she can see to pluck them, she likely sees them. Personally, I feel them before I even see them (referring to the coarse hairs that get plucked. Not referring to the peach fuzz that I shave)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 PM

22,533 posts, read 24,120,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If she can see to pluck them, she likely sees them. Personally, I feel them before I even see them (referring to the coarse hairs that get plucked. Not referring to the peach fuzz that I shave)
I always love the ones that you can feel but not see when you try to get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty