Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,150,103 times

Advertisements

No. Refer to the Golden Corral story in current events. Yeesch.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
With lots of family members in this age group I've had the chance to see how things really work. Looks matter. Weight matters. If you are pretty and have a good body you will get attention. No matter how many "body positivity" articles you read that showcase obesity, slim women get more attention and are treated with more respect. The obese girls I know might get attention, but it's not always in a positive way.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
With lots of family members in this age group I've had the chance to see how things really work. Looks matter. Weight matters. If you are pretty and have a good body you will get attention. No matter how many "body positivity" articles you read that showcase obesity, slim women get more attention and are treated with more respect. The obese girls I know might get attention, but it's not always in a positive way.
There’s a whole lot of area between girls with perfect bodies and obese girls. Most people are in the middle the average woman is something like a size 12, not skinny and not obese. I do feel badly for young girls, as I think juniors clothing stores don’t take all body types into consideration and assume all young girls are thin. If you go into Hollister or Aeropastale you’re going to find a lot more to wear if you’re a size 0 then if you’re a size 14. They might not be anything if you’re a size 14. It wasn’t like that when I was growing up, Not that it was accepted to be overweight, but no one expected girls and women to be size 0 on the bottom and a C cup on the top. There’s really a lot of pressure on girls today. Even the prom dresses today require you to have a body like Selena Gomez (not to mention the money). In the 70s they looked more like Gone with the Wind or Little House on the Prairie costumes LOL. You could hide a lot of flaws.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:07 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
There’s a whole lot of area between girls with perfect bodies and obese girls. Most people are in the middle the average woman is something like a size 12, not skinny and not obese. I do feel badly for young girls, as I think juniors clothing stores don’t take all body types into consideration and assume all young girls are thin. If you go into Hollister or Aeropastale you’re going to find a lot more to wear if you’re a size 0 then if you’re a size 14. They might not be anything if you’re a size 14. It wasn’t like that when I was growing up, Not that it was accepted to be overweight, but no one expected girls and women to be size 0 on the bottom and a C cup on the top. There’s really a lot of pressure on girls today. Even the prom dresses today require you to have a body like Selena Gomez (not to mention the money). In the 70s they looked more like Gone with the Wind or Little House on the Prairie costumes LOL. You could hide a lot of flaws.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:42 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
My answer to the OP's question would be a definite "No". That said, younger women are GENERALLY more desirable by men due to their physical characteristics. I believe this is prevalent throughout nature. There are many factors in attractiveness for a woman. Her physical features, personality, financial position, etc. Different men places different values on these factors. I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. I thought it was common knowledge that younger people (both men and women but more so women) are more attractive to the opposite sex than older people.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"So is this true or am I wrong..."
both.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfeetunder View Post
Perhaps I am taking it too literal. I guess just hearing about it all the time has made me feel I'm not a real woman if I'm not sexy or extremely attractive for a woman in her 20s like social media makes it out to be. People are absolutely shocked when I tell them I'm 20.
Stay off of social media, and the internet in general. Keep the tv off too.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

I have to guzzle down bottles of water and still breakout.

I'm going to schedule with a dermatologist and dietician to form a regimen for my skin and try to eliminate foods that exacerbate my acne.
While drinking water and eating well are excellent habits for better skin (don't forget plenty of sleep!), the root of your acne problem is probably hormone-related and must be ridden out.

I am glad you are seeing a dermatologist, though, because they absolutely can give you something that can help lessen the appearance of acne. No need to go through this battle unarmed.

I also think you should give equal treatment to your low self-image. Social media can be poison for someone with a weak sense of self-worth.

"Stop comparing your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."

Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 25,546 times
Quote:
Perhaps I am taking it too literal. I guess just hearing about it all the time has made me feel I'm not a real woman if I'm not sexy or extremely attractive for a woman in her 20s like social media makes it out to be. People are absolutely shocked when I tell them I'm 20.
You need to unplug from social media and other information sources that are peddling these ideas. Give yourself time to come into your own. In the meantime, find meaning and enjoyment with your friends, in your hobbies and academic interests, try volunteering to help those less fortunate. You could find your calling in the process, and when you do, the importance of your current worries will fade. Get out and live life! Otherwise, it could pass you by.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM

15 posts, read 14,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
While drinking water and eating well are excellent habits for better skin (don't forget plenty of sleep!), the root of your acne problem is probably hormone-related and must be ridden out.

I am glad you are seeing a dermatologist, though, because they absolutely can give you something that can help lessen the appearance of acne. No need to go through this battle unarmed.

I also think you should give equal treatment to your low self-image. Social media can be poison for someone with a weak sense of self-worth.

"Stop comparing your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."
My acne is hormone related and genetic(I was the unlucky one to only inherit the unfortunate gene (( )

Since age 18 & 19, I was prescribed birth control and Spironolactone for my hormonal acne and both were extremely unsuccessful with treating my acne. In fact, it made it 100x times worse. I'm trying to find a naturopathic doctor that can help without strong medications that leave severe side effects and not just band-aid my acne.

Fortunately, throughout the past 2 years, I've noticed that my acne and overall hair, skin, and nails dramatically improved and cleared once I began to drink green smoothies on a strict consistent basis. Along with consuming A LOT of fish, chicken, eggs, beans, soups, whole grains, fruits/vegetables, healthy fats/nuts, etc. It helped my body & my skin was literally so clear, rosy, and vibrant and this was all with just eating better and eliminating processed junk foods & especially dairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty