U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 PM

921 posts, read 252,508 times

Advertisements

I don't have big boobs, but I wear comfortable bras, period. No point in walking around all day in something that's itchy lace or poky underwire or accomplishes nothing. If I feel the need to impress a significant other, I put on the pretty bra for the bedroom. (Same goes for underwear.)

(Not like I've ever been with a guy who worries what *I* think of *his* undies, anyway...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:52 PM

17,006 posts, read 17,320,800 times
A close relative of mine is petite (tiny rib cage) but with larger breasts. She wore a DD or a DDD bra for years and they never fit quite right. She was then fitted at a fancy lingerie shop and was told that she really wore a much, much larger cup size (a G or H or something like that) and a smaller band size. Now she raves about how comfortable how bras are. They are cute, sexy and comfortable bras. She wears Elomi brand, but there are similar brands. The clerk said that most stores just sold her the closest size that they had in stock (so that they could make a sale) but they were never her correct size.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-13-2019 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 PM

5,179 posts, read 668,775 times
When I was working I wouldn't be caught dead in a sports bra unless I was at the gym or hanging around the house. I'm a 36/38 DD, and now that I'm older, retired and my boobs are sagging, a regular bra no longer cuts it. Currently, I'm either at physical therapy or at the gym 5x week so I've been practically living in sports bras. Also, as I now live in FL an all cotton bra with no underwire is infinitely more comfortable than a conventional bra.

I was never fond of sexy lace bras (too scratchy) and I never EVER wore bikini panties or thongs in my life. I'm glad that "granny panties" are in fashion--I finally feel vindicated!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
another birth control device: sports bras.
Hmmm....guys are always looking at women when working out at the gym.

Anyway, lingerie of any kind is overrated - expensive and on the floor in 5 seconds. Lingerie is for women, guys don't care.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 AM

576 posts, read 193,149 times
I am nearly flat chested and could easily go without a bra except my nipples show through a lot of shirts. I tend to wear sports bras a lot because they are comfortable, and they keep my upper body warm (I get cold easily). But if I wear a lower cut top, I wear a regular bra.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,190,813 times
I am not as large as you, but I have worn sports bras on a daily basis. I find them comfortable. They do have some now that I wouldn't wear to workout in, but they look better than the "uniboob" bra.

Have you checked out Title Nine? Their bra selection is amazing. They have bras that can go from work to workout and even regular bras. I used their online size calculator and came up with a size I didn't expect, but the bra fit like a glove. You can return things for a full year, but the only downfall is you have to pay for return shipping. I think they have a few retail stores though, if you are lucky enough to live in that area.

TomboyX also has good bras for larger sizes. I bought one on sale and can't believe how comfy it is.

Personally, the more of my day that is braless, the better lol

Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,125,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm not sure what you consider pretty, but my daughter wears a 40dd and gets pretty, sexy bras at Lane Bryant. A lot of them have the wider cushioned straps that she prefers. She has lacy bras, plunging bras, no wire bras, purple, red, aqua, etc.
https://cacique.lanebryant.com/bras/...oWire_20181022

I agree about sports bras flattening the chest, I don't wear them unless I'm going to do something that would cause a lot of bounce, like running.
That's where I finally found a sports bra! I had never been inside a Lane Bryant before, but my massage therapist suggested going there for a sports bra when I told her that I always had trouble finding one. I had no idea Lane Bryant even had bras, I thought it was just plus sized clothing so I had never checked it out.

I will have to go back and see what their "pretty"bras are like. If they are anything like the sports bra I found there, I might be able to go back to wearing pretty bras again!!

Thanks for the reply! I didn't want to say where I got my sports bra or the brand or anything because I didn't want people to think I was advertising or whatever. But since you mentioned Lane Bryant I thought I'd speak up! I wish Lane Bryant had clothes in smaller sizes, because I really liked some of their pants I saw while I was in there, too, but they were all too big.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:32 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,125,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Please share what kind of sports bra you buy. They sound like something I'd like. I've tried various ones but a lot of them aren't thick (padded) enough to cover my nipples, and as others say, squish my boobs low and flat.

I always choose bras that don't have the wires. Wires dig into my ribs when I sit down, and I end up sore and bruised where it sits below my boobs, no matter what kind I've ever tried.
I think you may like this bra. My nipples also show through in some more delicate bras and that bothers me. This bra shows nothing. It's a very modest bra - another thing I really like about it. The label says "LIVI Active" and I found it at Lane Bryant. It doesn't squish and flatten, it lifts and separates but holds you so well that you also don't bounce. I feel like I've found the holy grail. lol

In addition to regular bras I have always had a terrible time with sports bras. My massage therapist recommended checking out Lane Bryant. So I did and a salesperson helped me find the bra. It is amazing. It is easy to get on and off (which is something I have very rarely experienced with sports bras) and also the cups are molded in such a way that it doesn't give you uniboob or flatten the chest. The straps are very thick but also kind of silky, which is really nice. And you can adust every with hooks so when you get it to the place you like where it fits you well it STAYS and doesn't slip like what happens when there is the .... I don't know what it is called... but where there is that little plastic or metal piece that you slide up and down to adjust the bra... those always slip on me. But hooks stay in place! And these are sturdy hooks... not the dinky kind that eventually bend and wear-out.

The only complaint I have about this bra is that it's not pretty and also I cannot wear it underneath more delicate types of blouses like silk or very fine linen or cotton. It just doesn't look right because of the material and wide straps and everything. But it looks fine underneath most of my other blouses and nice sweaters and things I wear for work. Even my husband said my "boobs looked nice" - probably because it sort of makes my boobs look bigger. lol

Anyway - I can't wait to go back to Lane Bryant now and check out their other types of bras. I was only in there that time for a sports bra, so I didn't even really notice what other bras they had.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,675,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm curious if any other ladies with larger breasts prefer to wear sports bras on a daily basis rather than a regular more pretty bra?

I struggled for years with pretty bras because I thought sports bras were only for working out. They are also not very attractive, and I wanted to wear pretty bras for my husband. I am not a large person but my breasts are DD and the pretty bras with the more delicate straps gave me all kinds of headaches and neck and shoulder pain for years. I've been properly fitted by several different fitters in several different states in many lingerie shops and places like Macy's and Nordstroms and even once in a lingerie shop in Paris, France. I kept trying professional fitting thinking that I was buying the wrong size, but every time I got a fitting it always came back with the same size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, this. If they made things look as good as they felt in terms of support, then sure. But they don't.

However, there are plenty of flattering and supportive bras out there. I would suggest going to Nordstrom for a fitting if there is one near you, and they will help you find a bra that looks and feels good. Buy at least one from the salesperson taking their time to assist you and then you can look online afterwards to see if you can find it for less, although you can also ask the salesperson to contact you to let you know when they are on sale.
She said she already had fittings at Nordstrom and it didn't work for her.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,474,276 times
Of course..........when wearing body armor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty