U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 AM

39,214 posts, read 20,338,563 times

Advertisements

I have to get my nails done but have been waiting since I crushed 2 of my fingers in the seam of the garage door last week (painful!!!!). So I've been babying them hoping I don't lose my nails. For fun I was thinking of getting one nail done with red white and blue for the 4th (never did anything like this before) but for now I'll just be happy to have all my nails, I wish they would heal already :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 04:32 AM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita...I have always hated pointy nails...it doesn't look very *classy* IMO. I can't have real long nails because of my work....I am always in gloves, but I have medium length oval nails.
Oval nails are friendly. A softened rectangle is good, too. Pointy nails would cause me to think that you would consider blinding me. My kitty cat needs her pointy nails, but most people don't.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:56 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like short nails with festive polish or plain. If I see someone with long nails I think of the germs.
So do I that's why I scrape my nails over a bar of soap while I'm in the shower and I keep a nail brush by the kitchen sink to clean under my nails before handling food. I don't keep mine very long, usually a bit past the skin but they grow fast.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 AM

23,655 posts, read 8,227,438 times
I believe I've also resisted so called trends and ended up doing "silks" years ago and talk about damage to nails. I keep mine short, clean and no polish etc but when young the pressures are out there. What I've seen in my life some overweight ladies keep trendy nails as this is what they can control, not their weight. Just an observation ...

The pressures don't have to get you if a person knows themselves.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:53 PM

10,528 posts, read 2,687,692 times
I remember some girls (and guys) back when I was a teenager, would file their nails into points/ claws, and they would use black nail polish. I think the idea was too look demonic.

One guy in particular from school had used a bunch of fake nails and sort of built his nails up in mass, and had them filed into points, and always had them painted black, making them really look like claws of a demon, they were not really long, but they were extremely thick.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 PM

882 posts, read 210,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oval nails are friendly. A softened rectangle is good, too. Pointy nails would cause me to think that you would consider blinding me. My kitty cat needs her pointy nails, but most people don't.
I like a softened rectangle too...but I wear gloves because of work & a little more rounded edge is better

Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 AM

5,179 posts, read 669,147 times
I agree that pointy "talon" nails look too theatrical and impractical.

I'm a nail biter so I have to keep mine short. PLUS I have small hands with short fingers so a "high fashion" nail of any sort (much like a 1 carat diamond ring) would look ridiculous on my hand.

I prefer black nail polish because:
1) I can never make up my mind what color I want (besides, black is so slimming )
2) darker nail color hides my nails' imperfections better
3) If I chip the polish all I have to do is run a black Sharpie over the spot and VOILA! Manicure is fixed and no one is the wiser

I've tried peachy and pink colors and I'm always disappointed. I'm not fond of the color red so I never do my nails in red except once for Valentine's day--I had them painted a deep gothic red to go with a Steampunk costume and surprisingly I liked the way they turned out. Right now my nails are navy blue but they look black in indoor light.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 PM

14,660 posts, read 10,763,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I agree that pointy "talon" nails look too theatrical and impractical.

I'm a nail biter so I have to keep mine short. PLUS I have small hands with short fingers so a "high fashion" nail of any sort (much like a 1 carat diamond ring) would look ridiculous on my hand.

I prefer black nail polish because:
1) I can never make up my mind what color I want (besides, black is so slimming )
2) darker nail color hides my nails' imperfections better
3) If I chip the polish all I have to do is run a black Sharpie over the spot and VOILA! Manicure is fixed and no one is the wiser
Off topic, but the last time I was going out and putting on my black Ugg-type boots, I noticed that our bunny had gotten to one somehow (nibbled on it), exposing the light inner material. Sharpie to the rescue. lol I wonder how many times it's saved the day for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I've tried peachy and pink colors and I'm always disappointed. I'm not fond of the color red so I never do my nails in red except once for Valentine's day--I had them painted a deep gothic red to go with a Steampunk costume and surprisingly I liked the way they turned out. Right now my nails are navy blue but they look black in indoor light.
Red is this classic color for nails (and lipstick), but I find it boring somehow, unless it's an orange-y red, especially against a tan.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 598,827 times
The long pointy nail is called "stiletto nails".

Old 07-01-2019, 01:51 PM

18,641 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Has anyone noticed that long painted pointy nails have become trendy among young women? For this to be fashionable is like a dream come true for me...I am in total awe of how sexy they look. Could someone explain why the pointy shape looks so attractive? Is it the danger aspect? Afterall those claws could hurt! I don't think that's it for me personally though...they just look beautiful to me.

Really, YOU are the best person to explain why the pointy shape looks so attractive to you.

Mostly, pointy nails are attractive to other women and to themselves.

Some men like long nails, others like medium nails. Most men prefer an oval or almond shape. Men differ about length and color.

Almost all, or all men who I know don't like nails with rhinestones glued on, or designs painted on.

Many men didn't like those really square nails that were popular for about a decade. The are out, or on their way out, depending upon where you live.

Really, long, talon like nails are almost universally unappealing to many men. I think they associate them with aggression and fear being scratched.

It's a reasonable fear, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty