Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

This kind of unreasonable thing drives me crazy.

Shut Out by Shoe Giants, ‘Mom and Pop’ Stores Feel Pinched
A number of shoe companies have cut off many small retailers that were already struggling to adapt to shoppers’ changing behavior

Colburn Shoe Store, established in 1832, advertises itself as the oldest shoe store in the country.
The Hornes are among a number of independent retailers who have been cut off in recent years by giant shoe manufacturers adjusting their retail strategies. In some cases, small businesses are required to make large yearly purchases of $20,000 or more. That outlay can amount to at least 500 pairs of shoes, far too many for a one-room shop to carry and sell in a year in addition to its other brands.

“It doesn’t mean the physical stores are going to go away, but there will be a whole lot less of them,” said Matt Powell, a sports industry analyst for NPD. “It’s unfortunate, because our country’s retail business was built on the small mom-and-pops.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/b...sultPosition=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 11:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This kind of unreasonable thing drives me crazy.

Shut Out by Shoe Giants, ‘Mom and Pop’ Stores Feel Pinched
A number of shoe companies have cut off many small retailers that were already struggling to adapt to shoppers’ changing behavior

Colburn Shoe Store, established in 1832, advertises itself as the oldest shoe store in the country.
The Hornes are among a number of independent retailers who have been cut off in recent years by giant shoe manufacturers adjusting their retail strategies. In some cases, small businesses are required to make large yearly purchases of $20,000 or more. That outlay can amount to at least 500 pairs of shoes, far too many for a one-room shop to carry and sell in a year in addition to its other brands.

“It doesn’t mean the physical stores are going to go away, but there will be a whole lot less of them,” said Matt Powell, a sports industry analyst for NPD. “It’s unfortunate, because our country’s retail business was built on the small mom-and-pops.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/b...sultPosition=1
I almost never go to indie shoe stores, terrible return policies. If I am getting a known brand, I will go to a department store or discounters.

But in recent years, most of my shoes have come directly from manufacturers or direct to consumer brands. Because they tend to be more interesting and have nicer construction quality.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You know why I don’t shop at our local independent show store? Because they do not carry my size.

But I think independents that specialize in comfort shoe brands can carve out niches for themselves.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
My favorite show store in the world, Bob Ellis Shoes went out of business several years ago.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I've been a huge fan of indie shoe stores. Some of them have a knack for selecting quality, interesting styles. I haven't noticed a change in supply.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I almost never go to indie shoe stores, terrible return policies. If I am getting a known brand, I will go to a department store or discounters.

But in recent years, most of my shoes have come directly from manufacturers or direct to consumer brands. Because they tend to be more interesting and have nicer construction quality.
Well, that's an interesting thought. I've never in my life returned a pair of shoes, except once when I got something cheap from a discount place and they stank up the whole room.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, that's an interesting thought. I've never in my life returned a pair of shoes, except once when I got something cheap from a discount place and they stank up the whole room.
I now try to wear things around the house a little bit for taking them on a maiden voyage. Apparently my feet are weird and swell at wakeup, not in the evening. So things that seem fine in the afternoon or evening will feel too tight in the AM. Or they don't go with the intended outfits.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I’d love a shoe store that sold wides and narrows. We don’t all have medium width feet! In recent years it has become increasingly difficult to find wide shoes in stores. Even a brand like Cole Haan, which makes wide shoes, refuses to carry them in their own storefronts.

I’m often forced to mail order, which limits me to a few brands that I know tend to work for me, and makes it a lot more difficult to bargain shop! I love online shopping for most things, but it stinks to have to do it for shoes. Even Nordstrom, with their extensive shoe department, now stocks very few wides. If a huge department store doesn’t find it cost effective to carry shoes in a range of normal sizes, I don’t know how a tiny boutique shoe store could possibly do so.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I didn’t know there are still any shoe stores, I haven’t seen on since the 1990s. I buy my sneakers at Costco, work and dress shoes online. I have been size 10-1/2 since about 1965, so no need to try them on and pay more, I shop around the Internet and find some for $59 usually at Amazon that are $90 at places like Kohl’s.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:29 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I didn’t know there are still any shoe stores, I haven’t seen one since the 1990s.
Well, places like DSW are still around but the last few times I went there every single pair I looked at was made in China, so I walked out. I found a good brand of dress shoes made in Italy (Thierry Rabotin) and buy them on-line, but haven't bought any since I retired 5 years ago. The good stuff lasts. My sandals are from Birkenstock (made in Germany) and I also buy them on-line. Once you know your size, you don't need to worry about returns.

I do buy boots in person. Western wear stores are big around here and I like to try them on and buy US-made brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty