U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

6,304 posts, read 3,569,825 times

Advertisements

My everyday stuff is good quality boho retro. I'm a Senior and sorta artsy-fartsy. Glad to be retired and out of my business clothing.

Long skirts
Boots
Jeans
Denim
Velveteen
Sheepskin
Fur
Leather

I pay attention to trends but only wear what I like. Most of what I wear doesn't seem to go in or out of style.

So far no one has splashed me with red paint. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

3,268 posts, read 5,047,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Since when? January and July are the industry standard transition months. Usually the second half of Spring/Summer is around March or April, although some brands spread out their releases more. For the brands that offer a separate "High Summer" collection, it is usually around May. Some brands will instead offer a Pre-Fall collection, which is clothing for warmer weather in fall colors. I don't know of any that release a High Summer collection in July, since retailers are already preparing for Fall/Winter by then.
one of my wife's jobs is working in the fashion industry from a logistics, marketing, and visual perspective. I also just follow men's fashion a lot on my own.

I know what the various industry calendar trends are but I also know that in reality it varies a lot, especially climate/sales region to climate/sales region. Lots of brands and stores in the Dallas market are just pushing their late summer clothing to the floor now.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,559,500 times
I am generally more happy with my fall/winter wardrobe than my summer/spring wardrobe. so I have less to buy in Fall/winter.

I do want those traveling jacket that I can roll in the ball & then take it but has warmth. That was on my list last winter but didn't get it
Long sleeve tee for layering, I need those. Mostly in white and olive
Maybe something in trend (not sure what the fall/winter trend is)

I just did my summer shopping last week of white linen pant and shirt. Can't wait to wear those

Old Today, 08:36 AM

5,203 posts, read 7,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
one of my wife's jobs is working in the fashion industry from a logistics, marketing, and visual perspective. I also just follow men's fashion a lot on my own.

I know what the various industry calendar trends are but I also know that in reality it varies a lot, especially climate/sales region to climate/sales region. Lots of brands and stores in the Dallas market are just pushing their late summer clothing to the floor now.
Are you sure it isn't Pre-Fall clothing? Pre-Fall clothing will often be summer weight, but will be in Fall colors.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Are you sure it isn't Pre-Fall clothing? Pre-Fall clothing will often be summer weight, but will be in Fall colors.
No, it is 100% summer clothing. Marketed as summer clothing (the word summer appears in a lot of the marketing campaigns as well. Plus they are summer weight clothing in summer colors and summer patterns. Palms, umbrellas, birds, beach vibes, etc. Dress pants in light colors in lightweight fabrics. Definitely not fall.

This is typical for the area. July 4th is the wave of the late summer clothing in Dallas for most places we shop.

Last edited by Sunbather; Today at 08:59 AM..

Old Today, 09:30 AM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
I haven’t gone shopping since May. But the retail catalogs I am getting are showing summer things. Bean is showing some lightweight sweaters, and a great looking quilted sweatshirt that I intend to buy. But most of the stuff is summery. Lands End is still pushing swimsuits.

I’ve checked the websites of NYDJ, and it has been summer stuff there too. And Keen has not seemed to add any new fallish shoes.

Seems like it is a bit early for fall things.

Old Today, 11:21 AM

78,596 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Quote:
4 months might be a bit too long to buy Spring/Summer clothes, since by September retailers will fully be in Fall/Winter mode and most of the remaining Spring/Summer stock in stores will be gone.
I think she meant, she's buying summer wear now, to wear for the next 4 months.

I'm working on summer wear, too. It's actually a good time to shop for it, because some retailers are putting it all on sale, to clear their inventory for new fall items.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

deleted. wrong post

Old Today, 03:21 PM

5,203 posts, read 7,880,068 times
The reason you are still seeing spring/summer clothes in ads is because the fashion companies are trying to sell them. This doesn't mean they are still ordering new inventory. If you know how the entire retail industry works, usually the cutoff date for ordering spring/summer merchandise is July 4. For Fall/Winter, it is December 25.

Old Today, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The reason you are still seeing spring/summer clothes in ads is because the fashion companies are trying to sell them. This doesn't mean they are still ordering new inventory. If you know how the entire retail industry works, usually the cutoff date for ordering spring/summer merchandise is July 4. For Fall/Winter, it is December 25.
I know how the retail industry works. As I said, one of my wife's jobs is helping manage 'back of house' for certain retailers. This includes ordering new inventory, returning dimed out inventory, helping consult on sales data, visual merchandising etc.

I am not talking about existing clothing being marketed to be moved off the floor. I am talking about the 2nd wave of NEW summer items arriving in store and being pushed to the floor and being marketed.

I understand generically how the industry may work or what you are used to seeing. I am just letting you know what I see in the retail industry locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty