U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 PM

82 posts, read 17,104 times

Advertisements

What I dislike about Fashion :

- Young men wearing a hoodie with a hat on. It just looks dumb.

- Young Men who wear baggy pants/shorts and try to act all cool. You look more stupid than cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM

1,184 posts, read 673,563 times
Cold shoulders. Who invented that?

Leggings... women might as well not wear anything. Or paint something on. All shapes and sizes coming out their doors with this stuff on. I recently saw a young lady wearing those with a short top and the security guy in this store managed to park himself nearby and stare at her for quite a while. And I have an older-looking relative who wears them and she looks ridiculous. I know I don't have the shape for this stuff so I wouldn't go out in it.

Well, to each her own. I try not to judge people by what they wear (which I just did with the above, sorry) and hate when I get judged by my wardrobe too.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:11 AM

39,481 posts, read 20,667,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
My dislike is the lack of quality, suitable clothing for women who have professional careers and in general, the lack of good clothing for women over the age of 50.
I agree, as if once you hit 50+ we are supposed to dress dowdy, not happening. With care you can dress stylishly (with class) without looking like you went into old folks shops or trying to be young.

I took my niece on a shopping spree and she got really cute outfits. Since I can sew (alter only) I take note about what makes the difference between being an outfit for someone young or older.

For ex, she got this really cute clean cut mid waist camo shorts with a wide folded up cuff, she wore with a crisp white crop T-shirt with bold black lettering on front, black backpack, it looked great . I took down the wide cuff making them longer and they were perfect with a crisp white mid waist slightly loose t-shirt and my very clean white Nikes or stylish sandals. I get compliments every time I wear the outfit.

I noticed that younger girls dress have tie shoulder straps. Fix that with just a regular shoulder strap and it works. Not everything can be altered but using imagination and know how can change it to appropriate.

Last edited by petch751; 07-25-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 PM

221 posts, read 420,434 times
What I love is the creativity & color. What I hate is people wearing things that I can tell aren't "them", and people dressing "too young" for their age (especially men).

Old 07-28-2019, 05:24 PM

6,307 posts, read 3,151,957 times
Love: the ability to give someone a sense of confidence that wasn't there before, like when someone who isn't a fashion maven or even a follower of trends finds a look that works for them--and it helps them achieve more simply by giving them an extra psychological 'boost'.

Hate: how certain people use fashion as a battering ram against certain groups (to make themselves feel superior to others). Not just the Mean Girls of high-school hallways, either. I mean the high-end designers who refuse to design clothing for plus sizes, and magazine editors who pigeon-hole certain ages and ethnicities into certain fashion styles, saying X group should only wear Y type outfits.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

12,387 posts, read 7,566,652 times
Love:

The fact that when new clothing shows up in stores, often there are things that I find agreeable and to my taste. The fact that even if I get annoyed that I cannot find something I want because it's gone "out"...if I am patient, in a few years, that thing will magically appear as this fresh new thing and I'll be all happy because I couldn't find it before, but now I can. Yay! Thrift store finds and goth (and other post-punk) couture. I love being amused when younger generations bring back things that were cool when I was a teenager. My son and his girlfriend were obsessed with flannel shirts and grunge music, like, "Mom have you ever heard of Nirvana?" Pretty funny stuff! I'm still waiting for somebody to kick emo to the curb and bring back sexy, elegant goth again, but meh, so many of the old goths have gone steampunk now...which, I admit, has elements that I also like. Oh and the whole "fashion show" side of "fashion" that is more of a weird art installation than a display of actual clothing that any actual person would wear...in life... I can appreciate it as an artist, I suppose, though its purpose has always bewildered me. I also love when older people retain a sense of personal style, and don't just take on the nursing home chic of seafoam polyester slacks with waistbands in the armpits and either sweat stained button downs or gaudy floral print blouses. Which, if they actually LIKE those clothes, is fine, but I often wonder...old people have been dressing "like old people" since as far back as I can recall. Is it just a matter of what is comfortable and what fits at that point?

Which brings me to...

Hate:

The idea that I'm supposed to conform (or that anyone must) to some kind of expected fashion style because of age rather than simply wearing whatever one loves. The idea that people should cast aside clothing that is "out of style" in favor of whatever some department store conglomerate says is "in" this season. The judgment that people aim at one another about what other people are wearing and whether they should. Body shaming, whether because of size or sexuality.

As I've said, I don't much care for the "old folks" clothes but if they were chosen because the wearer truly likes them, then hey fine! I also personally dislike polo shirts, and capri pants. But I don't care if other people want to wear them. Well. OK, I will tell the truth, there is occasionally a style that makes me cringe that I wish no one would wear. Have you guys seen young men wearing saggy skinny jeans? They literally look as though they stole a small child's pants, pulled them up to just past the knees, and decided to wear them like that. They make the old baggy, saggy pants with the underwear band showing, look downright classy.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 541 times
I love the creativity and refreshing feeling which comes with fashion trends. What I hate about it is the way it tends to avoid comfort and practicality

Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 AM

12,949 posts, read 6,654,872 times
I hate the price and the expectations of others.

I like what I can do/how I can make myself look and feel.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM

1,471 posts, read 349,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetasharma View Post
I love the creativity and refreshing feeling which comes with fashion trends. What I hate about it is the way it tends to avoid comfort and practicality
Fashion doesnít avoid comfort....if you arenít comfortable you arenít wearing the right thing....

Old Today, 04:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 3,996,058 times
I love when I can find shoes in the styles I like, in my size, and I can afford them. It tells me these shoe people might have an iotta of intelligence.

What I hate is never finding baggy pants because of the garbage ass skinny jean trend and having to settle for a ****-poor replacement in relaxed straight jeans that look like utter filth and fit like filth. Not too mention never being long enough as if men over 6'1 don't exist. I think I might start writing letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or