U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

7,257 posts, read 12,707,022 times

Advertisements

OP, anyone looking at me would say I am about as feminine as you can get in terms of looks. But I HATE clothes shopping and I wear very little makeup (in the summer when I am on break, I tend to wear NONE) and the idea of getting a manicure or pedicure is totally bizarre to me.

And I've always been this way. I was a cheerleader in high school so very pretty and thin and blah blah blah, but even then I wasn't much into primping. Ugh. (My brain function matters MUCH more to me than my looks, and did even back then! I am now 60.)

These days I'm focused on fitness (damaged knee due to 20+ years of running on pavement, soon to be replaced) but that's about it. If I am clean and well-groomed (you know, hair and teeth brushed and all that), I am happy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

78,991 posts, read 70,827,066 times
OP, I think mani/pedis are a cliche. I've never known any women who used that service. The salon trip for many women isn't any different than a guy going to the barbershop. Getting your hair cut is a basic maintenance activity. Not sure where the "fun" enters in. For some women, it's unpleasant, because of the chemical odors of the coloring and styling agents that are prevalent in the salon.

I browse the clothing catalogs that come in the mail, as a free version of a fashion magazine, to see what the current styles are, and to kind of enjoy it as an art form. There aren't any good department stores where I live, so I don't go out to shop or browse, but I used to enjoy that, when I lived near some good stores.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, anyone looking at me would say I am about as feminine as you can get in terms of looks. But I HATE clothes shopping and I wear very little makeup (in the summer when I am on break, I tend to wear NONE) and the idea of getting a manicure or pedicure is totally bizarre to me.

And I've always been this way. I was a cheerleader in high school so very pretty and thin and blah blah blah, but even then I wasn't much into primping. Ugh. (My brain function matters MUCH more to me than my looks, and did even back then! I am now 60.)

These days I'm focused on fitness (damaged knee due to 20+ years of running on pavement, soon to be replaced) but that's about it. If I am clean and well-groomed (you know, hair and teeth brushed and all that), I am happy enough.
This describes my women friends and relatives. Low-maintenance, no interest in makeup, etc. That's pretty common on the West Coast, though of course you find all kinds, but IME there's a prevalence of down-to-earth outdoorsy types, north of SoCal, generally speaking.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

22,603 posts, read 24,198,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
For me... I get occasional mani/pedi, I generally enjoy them. I would say in general I enjoy beauty treatments and the opportunity to be pampered and just relax. I prefer not having to make small talk, which sometimes takes away from the "relaxation" part.
I really only like getting a manicure or pedicure with someone else as a social event, because I find the small talk aspect weird. I'm more comfortable talking to my sister or friends and including the nail techs in our chat, rather than having a stilted conversation with a stranger who's holding your hand or sitting at your feet. At that point I'd rather just paint my own nails.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 245,816 times
I like being pampered at a spa with a massage....or shopping....but it's not like I get *excited* about a mani.pedi or a brazilian sugaring! It's just stuff we feel we *have* to do....

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I really only like getting a manicure or pedicure with someone else as a social event, because I find the small talk aspect weird. I'm more comfortable talking to my sister or friends and including the nail techs in our chat, rather than having a stilted conversation with a stranger who's holding your hand or sitting at your feet.
I was going to add something like this, in my comments about the hairdresser salon. I sometimes wonder, if the reason they do the small talk, is to make themselves feel more comfortable or less bored, rather than doing it for the client's benefit.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Not a fan of vlogs because most of them take way to long to get to the point. Clothes shopping? It's not a hobby but I don't hate it.
Some do....but some are more to the point. My vlogs are usually no more than 15 minutes if I have a specific beauty topic or I'm discussing something personal as part of lifestyle or health. Maybe a little longer for clothing & fashion....BUT, some videos get filled with questions in the comments if it's too short.....so people like to hear personal things thrown in.....so I try to do a little of both. Never can make everyone happy tho.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
There is a mani/pedi salon in every strip mall here. I see people with beautiful nails so I think there are lots of women and men who use these services. But not me. I have had 1 mani and I got a nail fungus that took months to get rid of. So no more.

If I had more beauty maybe I would spend more time. As long as I am clean and well groomed, I am good. Clothes, meh. I would just as soon go to the thrift store. I only buy what I need. And I have tons of clothes.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

15,066 posts, read 13,668,168 times
I know women who are totally looking forward to shopping/beauty routine ( and they get together for that.) They get excited when they are thinking about it/planning it.

However ( as far as I know) none of them participate in the kind of forums we are on.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I know women who are totally looking forward to shopping/beauty routine ( and they get together for that.) They get excited when they are thinking about it/planning it.

However ( as far as I know) none of them participate in the kind of forums we are on.
It's a beauty & fashion forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or