U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:19 PM

11,972 posts, read 7,374,700 times

Advertisements

I have never gone for a manicure or pedicure, because just walking past a nail salon, the stink gives me an instant headache. I don't tend to get my hair done...I recently decided I would start getting it trimmed, because I had stringy dead ends (I've got thick, dark hair that is parted in the middle and long, and I just neglect it other than to keep it very well conditioned at home) but that's all I will do. I get massages occasionally but I've never paid for that. I have probably half a dozen or more friends who are massage therapists and will do it for free. The only "spa" thing I've done is that there's a place in a little mountain town nearby where you can soak in mineral water hot tubs. I like that. Not exactly beauty maintenance, but it's very pleasant.

I find "beauty maintenance" to be mostly a hassle. Everything I do at home, the hair removal, the moisturizing and conditioning and all that stuff, it's a necessity I wish I didn't have to deal with in order to look and feel the way I want to.

Shopping for clothes, though...whether online or in person... Tricky. I do get some enjoyment out of it. But part of me bristles anxiously at the idea that I am spending money that, strictly speaking, I do not NEED to spend. It's been many years since I truly ~needed~ to buy clothes. It's usually a want, not a need. And as such I know I could be putting that money to better use and so if I feel impulsive enough to spend it, I semi-regret it almost instantly.

I think I feel the way about money that many women feel about food. (But I don't feel that way about food, though.)

I want to stick to my budget (diet) but occasionally I misbehave and then I feel very guilty about it.

I recently bought a very cool hat at the Renaissance Festival. I cannot bring myself to tell you how much it cost. But anyone familiar with well crafted leather hats, and/or Ren Fest prices, does not need me to clarify. It's a gorgeous hat. But I still feel very "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 04:51 PM

812 posts, read 735,432 times
Iím 48 and and definitely enjoy my beauty maintenance routine. It relaxes me and I love pampering myself. I get a great sense of satisfaction and a boost of confidence knowing Iíve put in the effort to make myself look good every day.

I wasnít always like this. I remember going through periods where I would keep myself up like I am now, and then not caring how I looked when I left the house. I would go to work, no makeup, hair in a ponytail, wearing baggy, drab clothes. Looking back now, I think I may have been depressed. Or maybe just tired. I donít know.

Iím not into manicures, but I get pedicures once a month, my hair done every six weeks, 90 minute massage every 3 weeks. I used to have monthly facials when I was younger; I think I may start doing that again. I also get my eyebrows done. I clean them up on my own between visits. I also shave my face every week. Canít let that mustache and those chin hairs get too long

Iím thinking about letting my hair grow out, so thatíll cut down on the trips to the salon. I actually prefer doing my own hair, but because I keep it so short, Iíd rather have a professional cut it. When it gets longer, I can trim it myself.

I work out just about every day. At least 5 days a week. I try to eat right and drink enough water. All of that goes into my beauty routine.

Iím not a clothing shopper. I donít buy into trends. My style is classic so I donít have to buy much. If I do shop, I buy online. Iím pretty sure I spend more money on hair and skin care products. Iíll either go to the mall or buy online to get and replenish my stash, depending on how fast I want them.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM

9,282 posts, read 8,359,380 times
Get my hair colored and cut often, always get a gel manicure and pedicure. Always red.

I work out, spend money on serum, facial oil, foundation, and makeup.

Shop almost exclusively online.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

22,076 posts, read 14,493,357 times
ďBeauty maintenanceĒ is a drag, IMO.

I get a pedi when I need to. I like to get a haircut every six weeks. I wear basic cosmetics, blow-dry my hair when I need to look nice, pumice callouses during sandal season, moisturize twice a day, push my cuticles back and trim my nails. I donít go shopping unless I absolutely have to. I do ďwindow shopĒ online, and purchase much of my wardrobe that way.

The only thing I actually enjoy is selecting and ordering clothes. Everything else I do is so I donít scare my grandkids or embarrass my husband. And if, as an older woman, you ďlet yourself goĒ you might be consider a couple of steps away from dementia.

When I was younger, I did enjoy shopping more. I enjoy shopping with my sister, but I donít get to do that very often. A very few times Iíve taken my granddaughter shopping, and I enjoyed it. While we were in line waiting to make purchases, I showed her some fragrance displays, and we had a great time sampling them while we waited.

But overall, I hate going to the mall. There is very little there for me, frankly.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:54 PM

43,550 posts, read 42,131,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I often wonder why people who seem to view fashion and beauty to be so beneath them even bother to spend time in this forum? Is there really nothing more interesting to you on C-D?
I always wonder that too. They often are the majority of responses, just dropping in to rain on the parade.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 PM

895 posts, read 341,696 times
Quote:
I often wonder why people who seem to view fashion and beauty to be so beneath them even bother to spend time in this forum? Is there really nothing more interesting to you on C-D?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I always wonder that too. They often are the majority of responses, just dropping in to rain on the parade.
I don’t typically “spend time” in any one forum. I use the new posts button to find new topics, and respond to any that interest me. Or I see something in the active threads list off to the right.

The OP asked for women’s opinions, not only women-who-make-a-hobby-of-fashion-and-beauty’s opinions. So I answered it. I don’t think any of this is beneath me, it just isn’t my idea of fun or recreation, but more of a maintenance type chore. If anyone finds their parade rained on because someone honestly answered an opinion question with their opinion, perhaps they might try to accept that people can have a different opinions on personal topics.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM

43,550 posts, read 42,131,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post

The OP asked for womenís opinions, not only women-who-make-a-hobby-of-fashion-and-beautyís opinions. So I answered it.
I didn't think you were one to whom the complaint applied. You answered the question without judgment.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 AM

9,893 posts, read 5,074,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I donít typically ďspend timeĒ in any one forum. I use the new posts button to find new topics, and respond to any that interest me. Or I see something in the active threads list off to the right.

The OP asked for womenís opinions, not only women-who-make-a-hobby-of-fashion-and-beautyís opinions. So I answered it. I donít think any of this is beneath me, it just isnít my idea of fun or recreation, but more of a maintenance type chore. If anyone finds their parade rained on because someone honestly answered an opinion question with their opinion, perhaps they might try to accept that people can have a different opinions on personal topics.
If you don't think it's beneath you, then you're not who I was referring to. I was referring to people who are condescending with their opinion. If that's not you, then there's no reason to get defensive.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 AM

895 posts, read 341,696 times
Quote:
If you don't think it's beneath you, then you're not who I was referring to. I was referring to people who are condescending with their opinion. If that's not you, then there's no reason to get defensive.
Not defensive. I'm very comfortable in my opinion. There seemed to be an honest question about why people who aren't into fashion and makeup would post in the Fashion and Beauty forum, so I answered it straightforwardly. I didn't realize it was just a potshot at certain posters. My bad!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 AM

10,374 posts, read 4,918,916 times
When I was younger I didn't do much with "maintenance". I did my own mani/pedi's because there wasn't the proliferation of nail salons like there is now. I didn't moisturize my face, eyes or neck. I did shave my legs & underarms every day and wore make-up. I loved shopping for clothes because I was a size 5 back then and it was fun. I've always loved good fashion.

Now that I'm 64 I do more maintenance. I moisturize the eyes, face and neck every night and condition my eyelashes. The hands & feet also get slathered with moisturizers. I get acrylic nails because my own nails have deep ridges and sometimes I will get a pedicure although I still prefer the way I do them. Sometimes my back hurts too much to do so much bending. I still like shopping for clothes but the irony is I'm finally back down to a size 6/8 but I have no place to wear clothes other than jeans or shorts most of the time. I still go to the gym, wear make-up if I'm going out and keep a stylish haircut. Maybe one day I will stop caring but not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or