U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 01:51 PM

7,702 posts, read 11,806,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
They’re rituals like a lot of things. I enjoy the experience, which can be said about a lot of things. I like acupuncture sessions as well. I enjoy massages. They are not “passions” or hobbies anymore than visiting the barber. Heck, my husband enjoys getting pedicures. It’s some we occasionally do together. But it’s like a lot of things we do, but don’t make a hobby out of.
Right, but rituals are different from passions or hobbies. I would consider clothes shopping a ritual for me as well, one of the little things in life I enjoy.

I do think there's a stereotype that women go shopping and to the salon and men watch sports.

And with the women I've known well, I can tell you that those things aren't a passion for them or really even a hobby to the point where they can talk about it a lot.

But I can tell you that it really is that way for sports and men. Men really do sit there and talk about sports for hours and hours, and some men are passionate about it, and it's more of a hobby for some other guys. But even those guys can spend hours watching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 03:39 PM

12,604 posts, read 7,653,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Right, but rituals are different from passions or hobbies. I would consider clothes shopping a ritual for me as well, one of the little things in life I enjoy.

I do think there's a stereotype that women go shopping and to the salon and men watch sports.

And with the women I've known well, I can tell you that those things aren't a passion for them or really even a hobby to the point where they can talk about it a lot.

But I can tell you that it really is that way for sports and men. Men really do sit there and talk about sports for hours and hours, and some men are passionate about it, and it's more of a hobby for some other guys. But even those guys can spend hours watching it.
Hmm...passions/hobbies? Among all subjects that I can think of, that I have heard women of my acquaintance discuss, the one that seems to connect more universally than any other, is animals. Pets.

Otherwise, I know ladies who crochet, ladies who cook, ladies who shoot guns recreationally, who hike or camp, who ride motorcycles or race hot rod cars, who are into ballroom dancing, who shoot pool, ladies who drink, ladies who are all about the kids or grandkids or nieces/nephews, ladies who are into major remodeling or interior decoration, ladies who travel and ladies who stay home, ladies who garden and those of us who can't keep even the hardiest houseplant alive. Artists, writers and musicians. Some like sports, some do not. Some who have favorite shows and some who don't even own a TV. Some play video games, some prefer to read books.

The only time we tend to talk about shopping is when we get a great price on something, or find something very unique. Optimally both at the same time. But that tale takes minutes to tell, if that. Not hours.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:57 PM

9,770 posts, read 9,491,593 times
I view it as a necessary chore, like doing laundry.

The only thing that would be exciting would be if I find some amazing bargain, which is likely to happen only a few times a year.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:49 PM

10,890 posts, read 14,648,983 times
I like to shop, but I think that's the hunter gatherer thing in me, not connected to anything girlie. I love to score a good bargain for myself or for other people, clothes, food, tools, whatever.
I don't have a beauty 'routine' other than practicing good hygiene.
ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita....why spend time in a forum about a subject that completely doesn't interest you?
I pop by this forum because I like fashion, to an extent, not so much makeup and such. I don't really equate beauty with makeup either. I feel like those of us with differing opinions of 'beauty' are entitled to a voice too, what better forum than this? It isn't just an advice forum, but rather a place to discuss differing opinions is it not?

Old 07-23-2019, 04:57 PM

7,339 posts, read 4,078,684 times
I like to shop in the LA Fashion district. Lots of new and up and coming designers with little shops to display their wares. Great selection and reasonably priced. Cute jeans priced at 20-60 dollars, tops from 10.00
Lingerie to formal wear to make up, shoes, wigs, hats and accessories. You can find it all in the Fashion District. I just bought two really pretty sun dresses... 25.00 each ( 80 to 160 dollars at Macys) and a couple of camisoles for 8.00 a piece.
I also get my hair and nails done regularly, do a spa day once a month and have been known to have an outcall service come to my house for a massage. Soak in the hot tub, have a glass or two of wine and I am ready for some deep tissue rubbing.
I live a few blocks from the beach and visit it frequently so there’s not much need to wear make up, but if I am going out on the town... I’ll go with full war paint. Lol
I like to be pampered and pamper to myself, I am worth it... so sue me.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:05 PM

22,903 posts, read 14,982,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm curious if there is anyone else who is completely put off by the odor of nail salons. It bothers me to the point that I can't imagine even going inside of one. Just walking past in the mall makes me feel bad. Is this just me having a ridiculously sensitive nose?
I don’t find it worse than a hair salon, frankly. Some nail salons are in tight quarters, which might intensify the odor. I need pedis, and I can’t see to give myself a very good one. So, I get one every few weeks. I don’t mind the odor; I mind the bother.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 531,154 times
I mostly enjoy it. My hair salon is relaxing and quiet (compared to my lively house in which I am the only girl). I get pedicures with a foot massage in a zero gravity chair that is like heaven. I love facials and massages. And I really love the results of taking care of myself.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I'm in my 50s and I view shopping for clothes or beauty products the same as grocery shopping. I do it when I have to, but it is not "fun". I felt this way even in my 20s, but felt compelled to do it more back then. Now thanks to my lifestyle I do it very very little.

And I spend my online time looking at drums, hockey gear, cycling gear, and cat and dog stuff. I never look online for every day clothing.
I'm 50, and I feel exactly the same. I have always disliked clothes shopping. I barely wear makeup. I've never had a manicure/pedicure and don't plan to.

I have three sisters who all like shopping. My girlfriends, for the most part, like shopping. I have gone on getaway weekends with both groups where we end up shopping because that's what the rest of the group wants to do (and in some locations, that's about ALL there is to do). I don't enjoy it, but put up with it so as not to be unsociable.

As a fun leisure activity I would far rather hike, bike, kayak, relax on the beach, go to a zoo or museum, or play cards than go shopping. Shopping is at the bottom of the list. It's not fun.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,357,441 times
Hmm- I just had a facial and a “back facial”, I have to admit it was relaxing and enjoyable. I also had my eyebrows tinted and a haircut. As pampering as it is, it isn’t like a hobby or “passion “. I do it because at 69, I really believe it makes me look better.

I get occasional pedicures, but generally take care of my nails myself. I never use those “nail salons”, my salon/spa has individual rooms for the nail stylists, and I’ve not been subjected to those horrible fumes.

I know what makeup I like to use , so it doesn’t take long to shop for it. I almost always wear lipstick (helps keep my aging lips moist), and a hint of perfume. Blush and eye makeup for going out. Because my hair is naturally curly and I have regular trims, it takes very little time or fuss to fix.

I have massages that are the therapeutic type, not comfortable at all, but help relax muscles that cramp from my chronic pain caused by a car accident over 20 years ago.

I do enjoy shopping- but at interesting boutiques. Not really a hobby, but fun while traveling. I always try to dress appropriately for the occasion/situation/place.

I was a military brat-neat and clean was drilled into me.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 AM

37,017 posts, read 42,705,639 times
I'm fairly low-maintenance and no frills in many areas, in that sense, though I have my things I like to do.

Shopping: The only shopping I enjoy is bookstore shopping, or really niche hobby stuff. I think clothes and shoe shopping is a drag, get annoyed at spending money on stuff like that most of the time, and only do it when I have to. It's not recreation, it's a chore. And it's boring. Ugh. Going clothes shopping is a "stab me now" kind of thing. You won't find me talking about shopping enthusiastically, either. I like having presentable clothes, don't get me wrong. I just think the act of going out and choosing them and purchasing them is tedious and something that must be gotten through. I don't get a kick out of it.

Spa stuff, I like, but don't do it often, because $$$. It's relaxing to get a pedicure, though. My husband and I both get monthly massages...it's our main splurge. I'll do at home spa treatments now and then, but it's pretty nice to get them professionally done every once in a while. If funding were limitless, I'd probably do stuff like that much more.

I space my hair appointments out pretty widely...not a frequent salon-goer. Mostly when trims become unavoidable. I don't color my hair anymore, because I won't commit to the upkeep. I never do brows, hair removal, waxing, etc. via a professional. I take care of most of my own grooming DIY.

I like going out to a coffee shop to read, etc. and get some solitude. I probably get as excited about that as sports enthusiasts get about big games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or