Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's a beauty & fashion forum...

Check out your own profile.
You spend more time even in psychology section than here ( not to mention other departments.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,539,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Check out your own profile.
You spend more time even in psychology section than here ( not to mention other departments.)
I spend most of my time in relationships (B Y F A R, over 500) & beauty/fashion & everything else is far below.....but I spend more time in beauty fashion in other forums too. Sooo...I am sure many agree with me in a thread about how we view it.....if we are interested enough in it to be posting here in the 1st place......

Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
Never had a mani-pedi, don't like shopping and no interest in fashion. (Yet here I am, LOL)

But I enjoy and go to salons and usually spend a lot for complicated keratin/coloring treatments. Just not a fan of gray. Or grey! I love the pampering and someone else messing with my hair.

I had permanent make-up done a decade ago, so am just going with that and no more make-up once I retired. Being blond, shaving is optional so I don't.

Love massages so go whenever I can.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I had permanent make-up done a decade ago, so am just going with that and no more make-up once I retired. Being blond, shaving is optional so I don't.

Love massages so go whenever I can.
I don't think of shaving, sugaring or waxing as *optional*....it's something we have to do BUT I have friends who joke...if they aren't in a relationship & not being intimate with anyone at the time, why shave their legs? Lol...

I love massages too....but couples!

Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
I often wonder why people who seem to view fashion and beauty to be so beneath them even bother to spend time in this forum? Is there really nothing more interesting to you on C-D?

Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I often wonder why people who seem to view fashion and beauty to be so beneath them even bother to spend time in this forum? Is there really nothing more interesting to you on C-D?
Ita....why spend time in a forum about a subject that completely doesn't interest you?

I like reading lots of beauty, lifestyle, health & fashion forums...to pick up on products or stuffs to cover on my channel....& there is always a small percentage who criticize makeup, beauty & etc. So....why be here?

We may not always view beauty maintenance as *exciting*...but we are interested in being the best we can be....

Old 07-22-2019, 01:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
I'm old now, but even when I was young, I hated clothes shopping and only did it when I had to. I've always worn the bare minimum amount of makeup and only because it was/is expected of me, and think that manicures/pedicures are a waste of money because I can clip and color my own nails just fine for free. I even cut and color my own hair and always have.

Beauty maintenance to me is the same as any other kind of maintenance, not for fun, just something that needs to be done.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,698,457 times
I like make up and I enjoy a good mani/pedi. I also feel great after I get a haircut and hair color is fun to me (I color my own hair though)

I also like to shop, even though I am overweight and some clothes don't always look great on me.

Shaving my legs is a pain in the butt though!

Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I've always been curious about this and I know it depends on the woman, but...

I know women go to the salon, and the mani/pedi, and do shopping. Various women do these things to varying degrees (I know my sister does not do these things, though she used to shop).

My question is to what degree do women enjoy doing these things? Just for my perspective.

I'm a man for example and I like to shop. Granted, I'm not good at it, but it's pretty fun to go around and see certain things on hangers, and imagine that they will look good on me. That actually being the case, especially as I age, is a different story, but it's kind of fun, something I can do every month or two for a couple of hours.

So, for women, not necessarily you, but your friends, is that a passion for you? Is going through shopping catalogs online the same as guys going through guitar catalogs or catalogs of guns? Or talking about guitars or hunting. Can you spend hours talking about shopping?

Do you get excited going to the salon or to get a mani/pedi on a Saturday if you're just going alone? Is it the same excitement when guys are anticipating watching a big game on TV coming up a Saturday?

So, I'm aware that women are different and some women get excited about sports too.

But I'm just curious about how women view beauty maintenance in general. Is it something you have to do and is a pain the @ss, something that's so-so, or something you get really excited about?

I think the answer should be "all of the above". LOL For me, personally, I find some of the maintenance stuff a pain in the butt. I USED to get my nails done, and hey, I liked how it looked...but getting acrylic nails are hard on your real nails, and so you find yourself in this circular jerk thing, where you get your nails done, and then you have to keep doing it because eventually it starts to look bad, so then you have to get them done again, rinse and repeat. After awhile, I just got tired of the time and money waste, so I stopped, and my real nails had to grow out for awhile before they started looking normal again. Oh well.

Now...I DID like the results of having my hair professionally colored. The results were truly better than what I could do at home, and my hair was definitely healthier than me doing it at home...but again...I started resenting the time and money suck that it was becoming. So...I just stopped coloring altogether.

Now, regarding the manis and pedis...I know folks who like to go for a mani or pedi with friends, or their daughters, or granddaughters, and it seems like it's a kind of bonding thing. I get that. I might be tempted to do something similar, with the right company.

I DO enjoy shopping. Be it online, catalog, or actually going into a dept store. AND I think it's more fun to do it with my sisters. We seem to always have a good time. I enjoy the shopping...whether I buy anything or not. The shopping, and the...imagining I guess, is fun. And it doesn't have to be shopping for myself...sometimes my husband sends me on "missions". "Next time your thrift shopping, will you see if you can find a spoon holder?" One time it was "Hey, next time you're out shopping, can you see if you can find me a tray, kind of like a school lunch tray?" I like having a mission. LOL

Old 07-22-2019, 02:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
What exactly are you predicting is going to differ by age?

For me... I get occasional mani/pedi, I generally enjoy them. I would say in general I enjoy beauty treatments and the opportunity to be pampered and just relax. I prefer not having to make small talk, which sometimes takes away from the "relaxation" part.

I like clothes shopping in theory (so mostly online, lol) - in practice, it's not as fun to walk by racks and racks of unappealing clothing, and then not finding my size about half the time when I do see something I like. And then trying to find a fitting room that's not either (a) crowded/full, (b) strictly limits # items you can try on (e.g. 5), and/or (c) is restricted access so I have to find a salesperson to play gatekeeper.

I will say, when I used to get my hair colored, my lady would wash, rinse and condition my hair as part of the whole coloring process...and darn if she didn't give the best head massages. For me, THAT was the very best part. And I do miss that. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty