U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:50 AM

8,295 posts, read 5,447,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Gym clothes, don't really care if they smell a bit. But then Esquire probably does because it's Esquire.
If you use Dri-Fit/Wicking shirts then they will really smell if you don't wash them with the correct detergent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 01:10 PM

9,468 posts, read 8,491,335 times
No, I've never had this happen.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 AM

5,265 posts, read 8,015,968 times
When it comes to moisture wicking shirts, I generally prefer a 60/40 cotton/poly blend instead of 100% polyester. A 60/40 blend doesn't absorb odors nearly as bad as 100% polyester.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:13 AM

13,271 posts, read 8,985,401 times
If you have a body odor problem, then these dri-fit is gonna pass more body odor through. It's breathable fabric then of course it's gonna be easy for your body odor to come through.

They work by allowing moisture to get soaked and trapped on the fabric then air will evaporate the moisture. If that moisture such as your sweat smells then your shirt will smell like a sweat soaked towel.

If you have a body odor problem, reduce your sodium intake and drink lots of water. Too much salty foods will make you smell more.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 PM

6,728 posts, read 2,495,462 times
I have a sports top that is supposed to wick sweat away, okay, I guess but I don't really notice a difference and when I washed it, it had a very strong detergent smell to it, like it took on the scent of the detergent, not pleasant and that's why I don't wear it that much, actually, I haven't seen it in a while so it's probably hiding in the back of the drawer like other clothes I don't wear.

While passing through a airport a few years ago, I saw a kiosk selling "cooling" clothes and I thought that was a great idea so there are clothes now that cools you down when it senses your body heat go up. The only problem was the price, it is very expensive so I was hoping in a few years the price will go down as the market expanded.

Old Today, 01:28 PM

32,466 posts, read 33,350,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
When it comes to moisture wicking shirts, I generally prefer a 60/40 cotton/poly blend instead of 100% polyester. A 60/40 blend doesn't absorb odors nearly as bad as 100% polyester.
I too don't like 100% polyester shirts. I prefer at least 60% cotton or even a higher amount of cotton (but not 100% cotton as that tends to wrinkle easily).

Old Today, 01:37 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,621,777 times
Many people stink when wearing polyester. Dri-fit is just the latest gimmick to get people to wear polyester which costs the manufacturer way less to produce than natural fibers.
Cotton is far superior and greatly reduces body odor. I teach high school and really notice odor on kids wearing polyester. YUCK!

Old Today, 01:43 PM

9,218 posts, read 7,964,379 times
With proper hygiene and shirt laundering, there is no reason for an odor. Let one go and there will be a smell.

Old Today, 03:48 PM

15,646 posts, read 17,972,347 times
Sweat will wick from polyester and dry much, much faster than cotton so you don't have sweaty, wet clothing sticking to your skin, that is why so many exercise clothes are made from poly, but it does harbor bacteria and will smell terribly. It is also less comfortable than cotton when dry in my opinion.

There are some brands that have anti-microbial properties, but they don't do a perfect job, and even then the properties wear off after several washes.

I work in water and therefore fast drying, wicking clothing is a must. Wearing cotton when you are in and out of a river all day in cold weather is a recipe for hypothermia and even death, so I put up with the stink and hand wash my polypro shirts and underwear daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or