Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
People should really stop claiming that 3/4 are to save clothing manufacturers money - it's about MAKING money for them. More than half the responses in this thread are from women who actively prefer 3/4 length sleeves. Manufacturers make what sells. If no one was buying these shirts, they would lose money on them and stop making them. But people are buying them because we like them.

If you don't like them, there are other options to choose from. I see sleeveless things all the time that I love but I don't wear sleeveless so I move on to something else.
I don't agree that demand drives supply 100%. Often times people will buy something because there is no alternative. It's not like clothing manufacturers are surveying people to ask them how long they like their sleeves. And they've clearly built in a lot of room for error, given how much stuff makes its way to the clearance rack and the garbage dump (google "clothing manufacturer waste" if you don't believe that last one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:00 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I hate 3/4 sleeves, they are annoying and because I have long arms I think they look like I'm wearing a long sleeved blouse that is just too short for my arms.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I love 3/4 sleeves. I think they are flattering. I have some that have kind of big sleeves but then taper with a cuff that hugs the forearm. Looks nice with a bracelet. They are also convenient in that you don't have to roll up your sleeves to wash your hands, do dishes, etc.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Hate them and refuse to buy them. I live in an area where there is very little in-between climate. It's either hot or cold most of the time. They are ugly and useless. They don't feel right under a coat. They are really useless to me if they are made from a heavy fabric or knit like a sweater. Too cold to wear them in the fall/winter.

I actually like them and think they can be very flattering. However, I also live where it's either hot or cold. I go straight from tank tops to turtlenecks and vice versa. I won't buy clothing that I can only wear for a couple of weeks a year at most.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I'm another lover of the 3/4 sleeve! I'm petite and busty so a long sleeve shirt seems like a lot of fabric on the top half of me.
I feel like the 3/4 sleeve balances out that look. Other pluses - I can wear great bracelets and I don't suffer from wet cuffs when I wash my hands.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
And, there are kind of different lengths of 3/4 length as well, weird as that is. There are the ones that are really some variation of elbow length (either just above or just below) but might still be called "3/4 length," then the ones that go halfway down your forearm, which are weird (I can't see what advantage they have over short or long, they're just half of each), and then the ones I really can't stand, the ones that are *almost* full length but not quite so they stop above your wrists, which just makes you look like you're wearing a shirt that doesn't fit (like when you were 8 but still insisted on wearing your favorite shirt from when you were 6 even though you were two inches taller. And why, as a grown adult, would I want to look like a kid in a hand-me-down??).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I have a few 3/4 length sleeves tops...and they don't bother me at all. I wonder if the typical climate where one lives might be a determining factor?

For instance, I generally dislike wearing layers. I live in Missouri, so early Springs and Autumns often can be a little chilly, and I'd MUCH prefer 3/4 sleeves, as opposed to keeping a cardigan around. But maybe OP, being in Dallas - Ft. Worth area, doesn't have to deal as much with those transitional seasons?
For me, if I'm cold, I'm cold, which means I need to be completely covered. Halfway isn't going to cut it. (And long sleeves for me are not a substitute for a sweatshirt/sweater.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
But WTH is up with 3/4 length sleeves on jackets? If it's cold enough to need a jacket, it's cold enough to need full length sleeves.
LOL. That was always my argument to my mom when she'd try to get me to wear short-sleeved sweaters (she grew up in the 50s, what can I say). "If I need a sweater, it needs sleeves! If I need short sleeves, I don't need a sweater! Am I cold, or not???"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I don't agree that demand drives supply 100%. Often times people will buy something because there is no alternative. It's not like clothing manufacturers are surveying people to ask them how long they like their sleeves. And they've clearly built in a lot of room for error, given how much stuff makes its way to the clearance rack and the garbage dump (google "clothing manufacturer waste" if you don't believe that last one).
Or because they've been convinced it's "trendy."

Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 379 times
I have converted to 3/4 sleeves since having kids. I'm in a colder climate and don't like layers. I just want to put on one shirt. With kids I was constantly having to push up my long sleeves to do things and they would always fall down right in the middle of something wet. 3/4 sleeves are warm enough for winter days and I don't have to worry about the sleeves getting wet when I do dishes, get a wet rag for the kids, do baths, wipe their butts, wash my hands a million times, etc.

Also, it's easier to find exactly what you want online sometimes. I specifically search for 3/4 sleeves. If you only want long sleeves... I can rarely find what I want in the store. It's so much easier online.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I love 3/4 length sleeves and actively look for them when I'm shopping.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I HATE 3/4 length. I want either short sleeves (above the elbow) or long sleeves. And I prefer long, long sleeves. I am not a fan of the wide sleeves at the wrist because they get in the way, but tapered appropriately sleeves are great.

I really, really, really dislike 3/4 sleeves. I really don't understand the attraction. I don't think they're attractive or comfortable at all.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I HATE 3/4 length. I want either short sleeves (above the elbow) or long sleeves. And I prefer long, long sleeves. I am not a fan of the wide sleeves at the wrist because they get in the way, but tapered appropriately sleeves are great.

I really, really, really dislike 3/4 sleeves. I really don't understand the attraction. I don't think they're attractive or comfortable at all.
Disagree totally. 3/4 Sleeves are great for people like me with short arms. They come to just past my elbows. Regular sleeves are so long for me that I have turn them up like cuffs.

So it’s to each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty