Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times

Advertisements

I love 3/4 sleeves! It's long enough to cover my arms (I'm cold all the time), but short enough that my sleeves aren't in the way when I'm working (at my job).

When I wear full length sleeved shirts, I end up folding them to the length of 3/4 sleeves, so that there are shirts that already come in 3/4 sleeves is great for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I love 3/4 sleeves. Those tops can generally be worn 3+ seasons of the year, and the length is most flattering and comfortable for me. Short sleeves show too much of my bat wings, unless they fall mid-bicep to elbow length, which usually looks dowdy and not flattering. I hate long sleeve and usually end up pushing them up (or rolling them) to 3/4 length anyway.

I actually find that it's hard to find 3/4 length ... everything seems sleeveless or cap sleeved. Blech.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,307 times
I totally agree, I hate them too. I get cold lower arms/hands/wrists sometimes so I want full length sleeves! I can't tell you how many tops I've found that were perfect, except for the sleeve length. Plus if you wear a sweater over the top of a 3/4 length sleeve top, it can feel weird, like you want to pull your sleeves (the 3/4 length ones) down all the time because the sleeve lengths don't match. I am probably a bit weird about that, though.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM

15 posts, read 15,509 times
Ok first, to answer your question, I actually like 3/4 sleeves. But, let me explain. I am petite, and it’s impossible to find attractive dresses with long sleeves that fit me. I mean, complaint number one that I have, is that these days most dresses available to the public are sleeveless. Even in the wintertime! It’s ridiculous. Why do designers think we all want to show our arms? And, at all times of the year?
Secondly, I must complain that designers or store buyers...whoever the culprit might be...continue to offer the dowdiest dresses for petite women. Obviously they think that we are all shrinking, little, older ladies. We aren’t. But, that’s regardless of sleeve length, so I probably shouldn’t have included that complaint, hehe.
But, I don’t want to have to find a seamstress to fix my sleeve length every time I buy a new dress. And, I don’t want sleeveless. Because of this, I have come to appreciate the 3/4 sleeve dress. Long sleeves tend to hang and get in the way (i.e. get wet when washing hands, drag into my salad dressing, etc.).
It’s not a style I would choose if I had the option of a properly fitting long sleeve dress, but it’s the lesser of evils for me.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
They're a more adaptable fit, and work well for "in between" climates and seasons. I usually end up pushing long sleeves up to 3/4 length, anyway.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
I have no problem with 3/4 length sleeves on shirts...they're just another option in the spectrum between tank tops and long sleeves. But WTH is up with 3/4 length sleeves on jackets? If it's cold enough to need a jacket, it's cold enough to need full length sleeves. And you can't wear a long-sleeved shirt or sweater underneath without looking like an idiot.

Seriously?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
I like 3/4 sleeves. They don’t get in the way and still look professional.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:29 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I have no problem with 3/4 length sleeves on shirts...they're just another option in the spectrum between tank tops and long sleeves. But WTH is up with 3/4 length sleeves on jackets? If it's cold enough to need a jacket, it's cold enough to need full length sleeves. And you can't wear a long-sleeved shirt or sweater underneath without looking like an idiot.

Seriously?

I agree with this though. Only on blouses or tops. I prefer full sleeve length on jackets and coats.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
I should have been clearer:

Comfort? Utility? Yes.
Pajamas are comfortable. Overalls are useful.

I was asking for purely aesthetic reasons. 3/4 sleeves seem to be relegated to women of a certain age or possibly weight. I think of QVC fashions.

I find that irritating.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM

155 posts, read 119,049 times
I absolutely love 3/4 sleeves ! In fact, most of my tops and dresses are 3/4 sleeves. I find them appropriate for almost any occasion, where sleeveless may not be. Also, at 62 and despite working out and being of average weight, I don’t love my upper arms. So 3/4 sleeves for me !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty