U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 08:43 AM

268 posts, read 58,577 times

Advertisements

I’m 41 and have been seeing dermatologists since middle school. I’ve never had great skin. Acne, dry skin and at 39 a nasal cell carcinoma and I’ve never been a sun worshipper. I did make some mistakes with the sun and skin cancer is in my family. My skin isn’t terrible. I definitely see people my age with worse skin. But having a dermatologist for a long time doesn’t equal great skin IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM

1,449 posts, read 347,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Iím 41 and have been seeing dermatologists since middle school. Iíve never had great skin. Acne, dry skin and at 39 a nasal cell carcinoma and Iíve never been a sun worshipper. I did make some mistakes with the sun and skin cancer is in my family. My skin isnít terrible. I definitely see people my age with worse skin. But having a dermatologist for a long time doesnít equal great skin IMO
Ita about dermatologists.....usually people see them because of problem skin, rosacea, moles that change in appearance, that type of stuff. If no problems....it's not necessary to go to a dermatologist to have healthy & pretty skin.........eat right, drink lots of water & have a basic daily skin care routine. Some see a dermatologist annually as a cancer screening.....but you really don't even need to do that as often if you have no moles or any unusual growths.

The important thing about skin cancer is catching it early....even with melanomas (worst type) the survival rate is very high after 5 years....& most skin cancers are non melanoma.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Right I’ve always had ski issues which is why I’ve been seeing derms regularly since middle school. Acne, moles now skin cancer. My post was basically to the person who said they have great skin because if a great derm. I’m sure they’ve gotten good advice from their derm but having a derm does not equal having good skin. She would maybe have great skin without the derm as so many people. Skin is mostly genetic or hormonal and a little having to do with lifestyle.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Right Iíve always had ski issues which is why Iíve been seeing derms regularly since middle school. Acne, moles now skin cancer. My post was basically to the person who said they have great skin because if a great derm. Iím sure theyíve gotten good advice from their derm but having a derm does not equal having good skin. She would maybe have great skin without the derm as so many people. Skin is mostly genetic or hormonal and a little having to do with lifestyle.
Lifestyle is a big part of it tho.....staying hydrated with lots of water, good nutrition, no smoking & staying out of the sun without a sunscreen.....................

Old 08-27-2019, 08:50 AM

True. I’m certainly no advocate of smoking and tanning. I do know people who tan regularly and they aren’t wrinkled. Perhaps the affects haven’t caught up with them. Being healthy is certainly important but skin is a big part of what people get in the gene pool. A person with very pale skin is likely not going to age as well as a an Asian persons skin even if the Asian person tanned.

There’s also a saying ‘black don’t crack’ which seems to be true. The more melanin you have in your skin the better off you will be with aging.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
True. Iím certainly no advocate of smoking and tanning. I do know people who tan regularly and they arenít wrinkled. Perhaps the affects havenít caught up with them. Being healthy is certainly important but skin is a big part of what people get in the gene pool. A person with very pale skin is likely not going to age as well as a an Asian persons skin even if the Asian person tanned.

Thereís also a saying Ďblack donít crackí which seems to be true. The more melanin you have in your skin the better off you will be with aging.
You can keep just as healthy skin by avoiding direct UV rays. Melanin is a built in sun protector......it protects the skin from burning but direct sun...without protection... does eventually damage the skin...it just takes longer. You can have the same luck with postponing wrinkles as someone that is darker skinned by using sunscreen & avoiding direct UV rays............

Old 08-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Avoiding the sun altogether would be great but how logical is that? I wear spf and a hat as much as I can outside. I do spend a great deal of time indoors as well. Unfortunately most skin damage occurs in childhood. I’m 41 now and I remember getting sunsceeen on me when I when to the beach or the pool but that was about it. Im sure there are other kids who has it worse than I did with parents who never put sunscreen on them and thankfully we know better now. I still think it’s hard to completely avoid the sun and us fair skinned people have it rough. We are more at risk for skin cancer which is worse than wrinkles. I don’t have wrinkles but I do have skin cancer. I am trying to instill good habits in my kids but they will eventually make their own decisions. I don’t think people realize how bad the sun can be until they do get some of skin damage. It’s hard for me with kids to avoid being outside as well during prime sun hours. I try to be in shade as much as possible. But even the shade doesn’t completely protect from the sun.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Avoiding the sun altogether would be great but how logical is that? I wear spf and a hat as much as I can outside. I do spend a great deal of time indoors as well. Unfortunately most skin damage occurs in childhood. I’m 41 now and I remember getting sunsceeen on me when I when to the beach or the pool but that was about it. Im sure there are other kids who has it worse than I did with parents who never put sunscreen on them and thankfully we know better now. I still think it’s hard to completely avoid the sun and us fair skinned people have it rough. We are more at risk for skin cancer which is worse than wrinkles. I don’t have wrinkles but I do have skin cancer. I am trying to instill good habits in my kids but they will eventually make their own decisions. I don’t think people realize how bad the sun can be until they do get some of skin damage. It’s hard for me with kids to avoid being outside as well during prime sun hours. I try to be in shade as much as possible. But even the shade doesn’t completely protect from the sun.
Ita....I know it's hard & can't be avoided completely..........& we need some sun for our bodies to make Vitamin D........so some sun is good! The best times to get it are before 11 am or after 2 pm...avoid thet middle part of the day ....BUT everyone takes vacations & has fun on the beach sometimes.....just important to remember the sunscreen.

Most skin cancer is not melanoma......& it is very easily treatable....so early detection is what is important!!!!!

Old 08-27-2019, 12:04 PM

I know someone recently diagnosed with melanoma. A girl my age who was a sun worshipping redhead. My uncle also had melanoma. He is fine. The type I had was basal cell carcinoma.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 PM

319 posts, read 210,328 times
Quote:
Skin is mostly genetic or hormonal and a little having to do with lifestyle.
I agree with this 100%. Sure, any positive or negative lifestyle choices will have an impact, but I've lived really, really well for long stretches of my life (including drinking a lot of water, which I still do consistently), and I've never had nice skin.

Anyway, at age 51, I've finally found a combination of things that seem to be better for my facial skin than ever before:

Cleanse - morning and before bed (and in between if circumstances warrant) with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Foaming Cleanser. Then tone with Witch Hazel. Then moisturize - morning with Olay Regenerist Whip (SPF 25); every-other-night with Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream (or nightly if humidity is low).

So, my choices are clearly of the drug store variety, but the Olay products are maybe on the upper end of those. I usually purchase my Olay products at Costco. And I find the Olay Whip works well as sort of a primer for my make-up (bonus!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty