Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was in Sephora and it’s overwhelming how many different skin care creams there are out there. Serums that are supposed to get rid of wrinkles, etc.

How many of these lotions actually work and make people look younger and better? Are they really worth it? Is a $150 serum any better than a $20 serum?
I generally stick with medical grade skin care and sometimes used drug store brands because medical grade is expensive, but worth it and it works with real results.

I mainly use ZO Skin Health, almost every single product I've used; Vivier, the vitamin C; Skinceuticals, not their cleansers; SkinMedica, Revision neck cream; but drug store brands are Neutrogena ultra gentle daily cleanser foaming formula for the face, neck, chest, Aveeno body wash, CeraVe moisturizing cream for body, sometimes on the face in the winter, StriVectin, NIA114 TL Advanced Tightening Neck Cream Plus, La Roche Posay mineral SPF 50 for face & body, same with Coppertone Pure & Simple SPF 50 for face & body, Bioderma Sensibio H2O micelle solution (to help remove heavy eye makeup); my husband uses NIA24 eye repair complex.

Lac-Hydrin 12% AHA was discontinued in Canada, I would love to get my hands on AmLactin at reasonable cost (very, very expensive in Canada, Walmart, on-line order only)

I've got beauty devices also. The famous Clarisonic; NuBrilliance microdermabrasion machine; NuFace Trinity Pro. I had DermaWand a few years back.
I'm told by a doctor from Newport Beach that NuFace is a waste of money, but I suspect she said that because less people would see a doctor to get medical grade treatment and it may be true that the doctor has better, stronger machine, but paying over a grand for one treatment is not within my budget. So, I use most of these devices daily, some twice a day and I'm sure that can equal to medical treatment at the doctor's office.
I'm a skin care lover and yes, it cost a lot, but at least I don't have pot holes on my face because from being a teen and forward, I am acne prone and have to make the effort to get normal skin and try to go beyond that. Some friends say I've achieved it, but you have to stay on top of it, especially once you've reached 40.

Some women are lucky to only use one beauty product and they have flawless skin, no sun damage, no wrinkles, just sagging skin as they reach older age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I have a clairsonic too but never use it. I used it when I first got it but didn’t see twirls and wondered what it was doing really.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:22 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
I have a clairsonic too but never use it. I used it when I first got it but didn’t see twirls and wondered what it was doing really.
Twirls? What do you mean by that?
It is a brush that help do a deeper clean on your skin to remove anything that can start blocking your pores. Typically, I prefer to use a gentle face wash with this.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:31 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
I’m 41 and have been seeing dermatologists since middle school. I’ve never had great skin. Acne, dry skin and at 39 a nasal cell carcinoma and I’ve never been a sun worshipper. I did make some mistakes with the sun and skin cancer is in my family. My skin isn’t terrible. I definitely see people my age with worse skin. But having a dermatologist for a long time doesn’t equal great skin IMO
I credit my dermatologist for giving me good advice, medication to help with my acne (I had deep cystic acne until she treated it. I had a mild case, but some of the cysts kept recurring for years) I just did what she said and it helped my skin age better. I’m in my late 40’s with great elasticity and few wrinkles. My sister did not follow the advice and has aged faster. I do garden and swim, but I am religious about sunscreen because of my excessively pale skin.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita about dermatologists.....usually people see them because of problem skin, rosacea, moles that change in appearance, that type of stuff. If no problems....it's not necessary to go to a dermatologist to have healthy & pretty skin.........eat right, drink lots of water & have a basic daily skin care routine. Some see a dermatologist annually as a cancer screening.....but you really don't even need to do that as often if you have no moles or any unusual growths.

The important thing about skin cancer is catching it early....even with melanomas (worst type) the survival rate is very high after 5 years....& most skin cancers are non melanoma.
Yes, I saw a derm about cystic acne and she helped clear it up through shots, antibiotics, retinoids, and birth control pills, and solid advice.

Healthy skin will never be perfect, but great skin is attainable for everyone. It just takes commitment and using things that are clinically proven to work. My teen uses sunscreen every day and washes with a gentle cleanser. She uses a retinoid to help with cell turnover. She will have fantastic skin. My mother had a facelift at 55, due to sagging skin and wrinkles. She didn’t start taking care of her skin until she was 40. That’s when she got me to start taking care of my skin, she didn’t want me to make the mistakes she did. Skincare is about prevention.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,242 times
I’ve had very sensitive skin my whole life. I finally found a South Korean skin care line that worked (Amore Pacific) but it’s very expensive. Now we’re retired and I just can’t justify the cost, so I’m trying cheaper, but gentle products. Haven’t settled on anything yet.

I tried Clarisonic once, using the gentle brush/scrubber and it really messed up my skin— red, bumpy, sore. I gave it away.

Lived in Florida before the dangers of tanning was known. Since then I’ve had squamous cell cancer and a mole that was melanoma. I’m diligent about using sunscreen and wearing a hat.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:48 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,244,680 times
One of my favorite skin creams at the moment is Egyptian Magic. It's a blend of olive oil, honey, beeswax, royal jelly, and propolis.

Smells great, under $15.

*If you're into oils and butters, you will love this product.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Additional question on this. If I put on moisturizer at 730 in the morning has it worn off by noon? Am I ok to add a serum or another moisturizer?
\\\\

Serum should go on clean, dry skin. Putting it on over makeup or moisturizer is a waste of serum.

Serum is what does all the heavy lifting and repair work.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:06 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I was in Sephora and it’s overwhelming how many different skin care creams there are out there. Serums that are supposed to get rid of wrinkles, etc.

How many of these lotions actually work and make people look younger and better? Are they really worth it? Is a $150 serum any better than a $20 serum?
It is. My sister works for Sephora NYC. I can pick and choose what serums, skin and eye creams I use. She get's a discount.

Generally she sends me a giant confusing box of skin care products. She is not an esthetician nor is she in sales, but she is in touch with what's good.

I am overwhelmed by just what she sends me.

Is changing brands a bad thing?

I think serums are important. hyaluronic acid and retinol are important, but I haven't selected a favorite brand, because of the unique situation I am in. However, if I requested a specific brand, she would send me that.

Any other favorites from Sephora?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I guess I’m not sold that the $150 serums are the way to go. One serum I’m referring to is the sunday Riley good genes. It’s mainly lactic acid and I’ve found the the ordinary lactic acid works just as well and it’s about $8.

I think some people get addicted to skincare products. It’s easy to do and there are soo many out there. It’s not a bad addiction compared to others i supposed but dermatologists will tell you that so many actives are not needed for the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty