Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

I was in Sephora and it’s overwhelming how many different skin care creams there are out there. Serums that are supposed to get rid of wrinkles, etc.

How many of these lotions actually work and make people look younger and better? Are they really worth it? Is a $150 serum any better than a $20 serum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The short answer ... it depends.

There are some $7 serums that are outstanding (The Ordinary, for example) and better than a lot of more expensive serums. But there are expensive serums that are also outstanding products and worth the money.

It depends on what you want to achieve, and whether you're looking for dramatic results.

It's no different than makeup. There are some GREAT drugstore brands that perform just as well as prestige brands. And there are some crap drugstore brands that are a waste of money. I'm probably at about 75% drugstore and 25% prestige. It takes a lot of trial and error, and a lot of reading/watching reviews. But once you find what works for you, it's worth the price.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Yes, expensive serums are really all that.

However, I use Boots from Target for $30 and a $100 facial oil, Monday Riley.

I also use Keihls scalp oil on my face and it is $20.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:20 PM

I have used serums and I notice a glow I guess when used. I’m not sure they’ve cured any wrinkles. And no idea if they’ve prevented any.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Additional question on this. If I put on moisturizer at 730 in the morning has it worn off by noon? Am I ok to add a serum or another moisturizer?

Old 08-22-2019, 02:01 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Estee lauder serum & philosophy moisturizer and Neutrogena SPF. That's my go to item now.

I tried lot of drugstore only to return it after 1 week use and I have purchased higher end products from TJ max and those didn't work. I am too tired to experiment

Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Additional question on this. If I put on moisturizer at 730 in the morning has it worn off by noon? Am I ok to add a serum or another moisturizer?
Most dermatologists would say no. Moisturizers start to act like a "crutch"....your face feels good when you put it on & it is instant gratification BUT after that feeling wears off.....you want more. Your skin has its own way of hydrating & moisturizing itself tho...through drinking water, good nutrition & the air...& if you constantly put on creams....you are telling that "built in system" it's not necessary........& you can actually harm the look & feel of your skin at least short term........in the same way sun & cigarette smoke damages skin's ability to hydrate long term....

A good skin routine is important but....no need to keep adding to it throughout the day IMO. It's a wasted expense...

Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
My advice is to explore body products fully before buying expensive ones.

Just for giggles I've been trying face masks and other body products (including Rx) and I'm amazed at how nice my face skin has become both looks and feel and tightness. (Some of my results may be influenced by my daily gym habits.)

I'm so pleased with my face appearance, combined with meticulous shaving and grooming my mustache, that I feel great that I measure up to the women I'm dating.

Maybe it's cheating but I think everybody should take every advantage that avails. I spend a great amount of effort to get the best possible reception from the women I'm dating, and it's working!

masks + Retinol Rx + face masks + gym + good diet

The downside of body products is of course their effects end shortly after discontinuing use. Actually the products are so cheap I find it amusing and relaxing to use them.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I have incredible skin because I had a great dermatologist since I was 15. She had the best skin even though she was in her forties and fifties. Here’s what actually works from a medical standpoint.

1. gentle cleanser: I use cetaphil or cerave
2. Don’t pick at your face
3. Hyaluronic acid to keep moisture in my face
4. Retinoids to aid in cell turnover and collagen production ( I’ve used Retin a cream for 20 years)
5. Sunscreen daily
6. Stay out of sun as much as possible
7. Sun hat and sunglasses
8. Non comedogenic moisturizer in winter
9. Don’t leave makeup on your face when you go to bed

Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Sounds like you have dry skin! This used to happen to me. I added a few steps, but when I added an essence and moisturizing toner, I was saved. My skin stays hydrated all day, unless of course I get super sweaty.

I really like Eborian’s Yuzu Double Lotion. This added moisture and helps me stay even. Double win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty