U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM

7,035 posts, read 3,902,212 times

Advertisements

I'm over 60. I use creams and such for wrinkles, although I don't have much a problem with wrinkles. My problem is deep naso-labial folds from nose to corner of lips. This runs in my family and seems to be from my chubby cheeks having fallen (a sort of hound dog look). This bothers me, and there doesn't seem to be a good fix. I consulted a dr about a face lift; he told me that even a facelift won't do much to help that. (I can't afford that now, anyway.)

It's sort of like Paul McCartney and Angela Lansbury. They had chubby cheeks when young. When those cheeks fell, they changed to jowls and deep naso-labial folds, adding to the melting and aged look to the face. Lansbury did some things to fix that in her later years, but not sure what. McCartney used to do electrical stimulus, but I guess it didn't help, since those folds didn't improve.

It can happen at any age. Remember Olivia Newton-John in the movie Grease? She was about 30 at that time, and already had those naso-labial folds (she'd had chubby cheeks). This led to critics crucifying her for looking too old to pass for a teenager in the movie. When you look at the movie, the only thing old looking about her, IMO, is those folds. (She's had face work done since then, despite her statements she hasn't.)

I've read that juvederm or restalyne injections help with those folds. (I'm not interested in getting injections anywhere else. Just for those folds.)

Has anyone used injections for the folds, or anything else? I would appreciate any info!

(Please don't respond with lectures about embracing one's defects and glorying in one's natural look, rather than obsessing over superficial things. I have had these folds for many years, so I clearly haven't obsessed over them. I also work on being a good person, a good sister and good parent to my fur babies, being financially responsible, and living a healthy lifestyle. BUT now that I'm retired, and the folds are even worse, I thought I might do something about this, since they bother me. I don't know if there's a feasible way to improve this, but I am checking to see.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 AM

No one's used those injections?

I had a casual acquaintance coworker a few years ago who used injections on her lips. I no longer know her, or I could ask about that. I don't know what kind she used or if she had it done for anything else. She was happy w/the lips (they weren't all big & poufy; I didn't know her before the injections). That's the only person I've known who has had those injections.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:04 AM

2,680 posts, read 2,392,786 times
I don't know anyone either but I'd be curious to hear as I also have that going on.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM

5,211 posts, read 13,473,608 times
Yes...I've had it once...and it did help, but it's not a permanent thing. Mine lasted about 8 months....that's all. It's expensive to keep doing it over and over. I didn't get anything injected into my lips...don't like the look. I had some fine lines around my mouth that they "plumped"...but like I said...it did NOT last very long.

It's not extremely uncomfortable....my doctor put numbing cream on my face prior, just to make it more comfortable....

Old 08-25-2019, 04:38 PM

3,907 posts, read 3,572,647 times
My mom had it done.
It looked strange for awhile. Got used to seeing no folds or lines.
But there is upkeep involved. After about 7 years she stopped.
She looked fresh and younger.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes...I've had it once...and it did help, but it's not a permanent thing. Mine lasted about 8 months....that's all. It's expensive to keep doing it over and over. I didn't get anything injected into my lips...don't like the look. I had some fine lines around my mouth that they "plumped"...but like I said...it did NOT last very long.

It's not extremely uncomfortable....my doctor put numbing cream on my face prior, just to make it more comfortable....
Thanks. That's helpful to know. I knew it wasn't permanent (which I think is a good thing, in case I don't like the result), but I wasn't sure how long it lasted. Expense is a factor, as always. But I'd have to find out the cost locally, to see.

Do you remember which substance was used on you? Juvederm or restylene or something else?

Old 08-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
My mom had it done.
It looked strange for awhile. Got used to seeing no folds or lines.
But there is upkeep involved. After about 7 years she stopped.
She looked fresh and younger.
Thanks. Wow...she did it for 7 years? She's very good at keeping things up. I doubt I would do it that long.

But it's good to know it did help.

About looking strange, I wondered about that. I've seen a few celebrities that look like they got injections all over their face. But I'm not sure if they did or just a tight facelift. I saw Billy Crystal, a thin small actor, and his face was all smooth all over, but very round and chubby. He never had a chubby face, so I wondered if he'd had a lot of injections. No way to know, I guess. I don't want to end up with a moon face. But then it does go away.

Thanks so much for the info. Good to know that it had decent results for your mother.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 PM

26 posts, read 10,473 times
Try facial exercises. Obviously, you won't get instant gratification, but, it's worth a try for awhile to see if it helps you. Do a search for face yoga to help naso-labial folds. You will get tons of exercises/information.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:24 PM

7,153 posts, read 8,242,800 times
Try losing weight. The less fat on your face, the less there is to droop.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,987,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Try losing weight. The less fat on your face, the less there is to droop.
That would actually make it worse. When one is older the skin does not "go back, tighten back up". I lost 80 pounds eight years ago (54 years old). The excess skin, without the fat, drooped quickly. Not that I have any regrets with the weight loss--but it was depressing aging quickly on my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or