U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

13,209 posts, read 8,955,192 times

Advertisements

Unless you're a speed swimmer, why would you wear speedos? They are uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of my manhood being crammed in. I really dislike speedo inspired underwear too, very uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

1,421 posts, read 332,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I swim at the lap pool at a university, and most guys wear speedos or jammers. I like wearing speedos because there's less drag, your legs dry quicker, and you can wear it as underwear before going to the pool. Then there's a larger recreational pool right next to the lap pool, where a lot of families will go to. Now most of the guys in the rec pool wear trunks, but you'll also see some guys in speedos (saw a woman with her husband and their school-aged son in speedos; the dad was from Europe but the kid looks like he was born here.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm in California, so we're less conservatively dressed (even female lap swimmers often wear string bikinis--I always thought typically female lap swimmers would prefer one-pieces because one-pieces are more streamlined). But ten years ago, speedos were a running joke among guys, now no one minds if you wear one.

A side question: do people wear bathrobes over their bathing suits at your pool? I only have a calf-length bathrobe (the pajamas kind), but since it's solid dark blue and made of terrycloth, it also seems pool-appropriate. I wear one because I'm sensitive to the cold, but usually I'm the only one wearing a bathrobe, although some might wear swim parkas. Also seems like ladies tend to wear bathrobes to the pool more than men.
Attire at public pools & recreational stuff is more conservative IMO than on the beaches...(unless it's a private pool).........I love to push the limits on the beach or at a vacation resort in micro or cheeky bottom bikinis or waist high thongs, BUT...my bikinis at public pools are more conservative.....

Cover ups are Ok to the pool & sometimes you need them.....but a calf-length robe? Lol...no....for a man, try a tee shirt & shorts or a towel around your waist............

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 1,698,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Unless you're a speed swimmer, why would you wear speedos? They are uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of my manhood being crammed in. I really dislike speedo inspired underwear too, very uncomfortable.

They're actually more comfortable IMO. A pair that's broken in you can hardly tell you're wearing them, wet or dry.

I wear Speedos when appropriate. I used to wear them on the beach in Brazil (because that's what everyone wears if you're a man, only tourists wear board shorts.) I've worn them at the French Riviera, where it's about 50/50 Speedos or board shorts. About the only place to regularly see Speedos on guys in America though is in Miami, South Beach, or maybe the Keys. All other places, you definitely won't fit in.

Used to wear a Speedo at home too in the spring with my wife when we were tanning in preparation for a summer vacation on a beach somewhere, but then we just decided that was silly, and now we just lay out naked on our pool floats.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

6,608 posts, read 7,925,541 times
Both of my kids were swimmers in middle school and high school so I've sat through 100's, probably 1000's, of hours of swim meets and practices. Even more than 10 years ago all males wore jammers or speedos for practices and speedos for meets. Nothing new there. Speedos have been popular for swim training for literally decades.

What's most surprising about your post is a female lap swimmer wearing a string bikini. I can't think it's serious training going on there as too much can go wrong with an actual string bikini and serious swimming. There are two piece training suits, but most female lap swimmers prefer one piece suits.

Swimmers that train or compete often use a swim parka to keep their muscles warm between heats, but I can't think of a single instance of seeing a swimmer in a bath robe. I also can't imagine a person wearing one to a public pool or beach.

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,261,149 times
Yuck! Hell NO! just ugly.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

2,446 posts, read 857,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Grape smugglers.
I've heard them called "budgie smugglers" by the British, "Budgie" being another term for parakeet.

As a female I don't find them a great turn-on- as someone mentioned earlier, I tend to avert my eyes! I did notice when DH and I visited Brazil that nearly all the natives wore Speedo- and thong-type swimsuits no matter what shape they were in. There was something refreshing about that openness.

I'm 66 and in good shape but stick to practical one-piece suits.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

11,921 posts, read 2,954,363 times
A man with a good body looks good in anything, especially a Speedo. A man with a bad body doesn't look good in any type of bathing suit.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

26,379 posts, read 28,796,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't go to the pool much, but I am at the beach (in Orange County) fairly often, and the only people I see wearing Speedos are old, out-of-shape men. I am only speaking for myself but the only people, male or female, who really look good in the absolute minimum of clothing, are the young, slim, and fit.
While I think it's fair to say I look at least a few years younger than my age, I'm not young; but I am slim and fit by anyone's standard.

But I do get your point. the Speedo phenomenon might be similar to what happens at nude beaches--the people who seem to frequent nude beaches are usually never people you'd want to look at.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

7,040 posts, read 3,980,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yuck! Hell NO! just ugly.

^^^ ^^^

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

4,042 posts, read 1,598,976 times
no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty