U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,292 posts, read 8,717,140 times
Reputation: 35836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Personally I donít like to see any man in a speedo but understand that for competitive swimming it is the way to go. I mainly see European men in speedos when we travel and frankly, I have to look away when I see some middle aged or old man with a gut in a speedo. But then, I donít think itís a good look for any man. If that is what you feel comfortable in, it shouldnít matter what others opinions are. Robes around a pool? Never seen that.
Hmmmppph...guts don't look that much better in trunks...but since many are mentioning "family-oriented" I thought it was the prominence of the "package" that was the main issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 PM
 
1,274 posts, read 464,339 times
Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm a lap swimmer who's been been wearing Speedos for more than a decade in CA. I didn't know they were a running joke, but maybe I just don't care. Or maybe it's because I'm gay and gay men love speedos, lol.
I despise those horrible mid-calf, basketball clown trunks that males wear to the beach or pools.
I too like the little tight fitting speedos on average males .. obviously some discretion is required here, but you know what I mean.

And nature, in all it's weirdness, made me a gay woman!

Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 572,927 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

Cover ups are Ok to the pool & sometimes you need them.....but a calf-length robe? Lol...no....for a man, try a tee shirt & shorts or a towel around your waist............
What's wrong with a bathrobe? I wear a man's bathrobe, obviously, it's solid dark blue. What's so weird about wearing a bathrobe over a speedo? I see plenty of more serious swimmers, both men and women, wear swim parkas, so what's different from that vs. a bathrobe? Only women can pull off wearing a bathrobe to the pool? Huh? Remember, my legs are completely exposed when wearing a speedo, and a bathrobe does the job covering my legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 572,927 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't go to the pool much, but I am at the beach (in Orange County) fairly often, and the only people I see wearing Speedos are old, out-of-shape men. I am only speaking for myself but the only people, male or female, who really look good in the absolute minimum of clothing, are the young, slim, and fit.

That doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't wear Speedos at the beach, it's just that they shouldn't be surprised if other people find it unsightly. I don't want to see an old, out-of-shape woman wearing a string bikini either, but if she doesn't care, she should wear it, it is absolutely her right. I can look away.

Since you asked, and as a straight woman I feel qualified to answer this, women as a whole are not as visually oriented as men, and they tend not to fixate on genitalia. Your average woman is not nearly as interested in staring at an average man in a Speedo, as men are in gazing at even average women in bikinis. In fact, they are inclined to look the other way unless the man is actually model-worthy.
I am a young, slim, fit guy. As a straight guy, I guess you're right about women in bikinis attracting guys. But still, even if women don't care about the bulge of a man's private, wouldn't they still pay some attention if the guy is showing his nice, toned legs in a speedo?

But, you say "women are not as visual as men?" Well, why then, are most visual artists female and most classical musicians or even DJs and sound engineers men? Seems like men are more acoustically attuned while women are more visual-spatial.

And why, then, are men much less picky about picking their future mate than women are? If men care so much about a woman's looks, and women don't care about a man's looks as much, wouldn't women actually be less picky about choosing their future spouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
 
6,815 posts, read 4,253,888 times
Reputation: 17494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am a young, slim, fit guy. As a straight guy, I guess you're right about women in bikinis attracting guys. But still, even if women don't care about the bulge of a man's private, wouldn't they still pay some attention if the guy is showing his nice, toned legs in a speedo?

But, you say "women are not as visual as men?" Well, why then, are most visual artists female and most classical musicians or even DJs and sound engineers men? Seems like men are more acoustically attuned while women are more visual-spatial.

And why, then, are men much less picky about picking their future mate than women are? If men care so much about a woman's looks, and women don't care about a man's looks as much, wouldn't women actually be less picky about choosing their future spouse?
You are getting a little too philosophical for this thread. And what you should be asking yourself is why men watch more pornography, while more women read steamy romance novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
 
Location: So Cal
40,775 posts, read 40,354,001 times
Reputation: 42202
I just don't see dudes wearing speedos at the beach or out and about. Serious lap swimmers are about the only ones I've ever seen wearing them.

You really need to be in top shape to pull it off. Even a guy that's got the build for them still looks odd to me. No offense to the OP but for casual wear, definitely not down with the speedos. I think in other parts of the world but no, not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,421 posts, read 334,854 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What's wrong with a bathrobe? I wear a man's bathrobe, obviously, it's solid dark blue. What's so weird about wearing a bathrobe over a speedo? I see plenty of more serious swimmers, both men and women, wear swim parkas, so what's different from that vs. a bathrobe? Only women can pull off wearing a bathrobe to the pool? Huh? Remember, my legs are completely exposed when wearing a speedo, and a bathrobe does the job covering my legs.
It's a fashion & beauty thread.......& you asked about speedos being acceptable on men.........

IMO "bathrobes" look out of place........in a F A S H I O N A B L E sense....unless you are ready to do an Olympic swim. Most guys at a public pool aren't doing that.........Lol.....their bodies aren't right for the speedo or the bathrobe. On a beach or tropical resort..........a speedo makes more sense if the guy is fit but without the bathrobe then too.....& then it can be fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
79,378 posts, read 71,668,399 times
Reputation: 77757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I swim at the lap pool at a university, and most guys wear speedos or jammers. I like wearing speedos because there's less drag, your legs dry quicker, and you can wear it as underwear before going to the pool. Then there's a larger recreational pool right next to the lap pool, where a lot of families will go to. Now most of the guys in the rec pool wear trunks, but you'll also see some guys in speedos (saw a woman with her husband and their school-aged son in speedos; the dad was from Europe but the kid looks like he was born here.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm in California, so we're less conservatively dressed (even female lap swimmers often wear string bikinis--I always thought typically female lap swimmers would prefer one-pieces because one-pieces are more streamlined). But ten years ago, speedos were a running joke among guys, now no one minds if you wear one.

A side question: do people wear bathrobes over their bathing suits at your pool? I only have a calf-length bathrobe (the pajamas kind), but since it's solid dark blue and made of terrycloth, it also seems pool-appropriate. I wear one because I'm sensitive to the cold, but usually I'm the only one wearing a bathrobe, although some might wear swim parkas. Also seems like ladies tend to wear bathrobes to the pool more than men.
OP, how does a child "look like" they were born in the US, vs. Europe?

If you wear your bathing suit as underwear on your way to the pool, what do you do when you're done swimming, and your "underwear" is all wet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
79,378 posts, read 71,668,399 times
Reputation: 77757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am a young, slim, fit guy. As a straight guy, I guess you're right about women in bikinis attracting guys. But still, even if women don't care about the bulge of a man's private, wouldn't they still pay some attention if the guy is showing his nice, toned legs in a speedo?

But, you say "women are not as visual as men?" Well, why then, are most visual artists female and most classical musicians or even DJs and sound engineers men? Seems like men are more acoustically attuned while women are more visual-spatial.

And why, then, are men much less picky about picking their future mate than women are?
If men care so much about a woman's looks, and women don't care about a man's looks as much, wouldn't women actually be less picky about choosing their future spouse?
I find it concerning, that men don't understand such a fundamental thing about women's reality and survival in this world. OP, the pickiness for the most part has nothing to do with looks. Sure, everyone has a certain taste, or a "type" they're looking for (or think they want, though it can change). But the reason women take more time in evaluating a potential mate has nothing to do with looks. Looks don't require time to evaluate, right? THey're evident from first sight.

Women have to be careful to evaluate a man's character and psychological stability, because they're obviously the most vulnerable party in a marriage. Making the wrong choice could kill them at worst, or result in a lifetime of emotional abuse, and other issues. If you ask me, many men are much to quick to fixate on a woman for LTR material. Their choice can seem extremely arbitrary in many cases. This is one reason why there's so much divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,421 posts, read 334,854 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find it concerning, that men don't understand such a fundamental thing about women's reality and survival in this world. OP, the pickiness for the most part has nothing to do with looks. Sure, everyone has a certain taste, or a "type" they're looking for (or think they want, though it can change). But the reason women take more time in evaluating a potential mate has nothing to do with looks. Looks don't require time to evaluate, right? THey're evident from first sight.

Women have to be careful to evaluate a man's character and psychological stability, because they're obviously the most vulnerable party in a marriage. Making the wrong choice could kill them at worst, or result in a lifetime of emotional abuse, and other issues. If you ask me, many men are much to quick to fixate on a woman for LTR material. Their choice can seem extremely arbitrary in many cases. This is one reason why there's so much divorce.
Both parties need to be careful IMO.....it's something E V E R Y O N E should be picky about........

A N D, if you do make a mistake...(like I did)....LEAVE. As women, we don't have to have a lifetime of emotional abuse Ruth. You don't get locked up & the key thrown away..........that is why it is SO IMPORTANT women are able to be independent & support themselves....so they can leave whenever it's a bad situation to be in.........

Even if you are picky, things can change............no decision is for life if you are abused or unhappy........
BUT this has nothing to do with fashion or speedos....so......I just thought it was super important for a female to answer your post..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top