U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM

79,384 posts, read 71,687,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Both parties need to be careful IMO.....it's something E V E R Y O N E should be picky about........

A N D, if you do make a mistake...(like I did)....LEAVE. As women, we don't have to have a lifetime of emotional abuse Ruth. You don't get locked up & the key thrown away..........that is why it is SO IMPORTANT women are able to be independent & support themselves....so they can leave whenever it's a bad situation to be in.........

Even if you are picky, things can change............no decision is for life if you are abused or unhappy........
BUT this has nothing to do with fashion or speedos....so......I just thought it was super important for a female to answer your post..................
The bolded was exactly my point, at the end of my post. Many men's criteria, especially when young, are too dominated by their hormones.

Yes, all true. Women need to have the strength to leave, but they don't always have the means. Women need to have a secret emergency fund, in case leaving becomes necessary. In the old days, some women would stash away part of their monthly grocery budget, or whatever, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 11:22 AM

1,423 posts, read 334,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The bolded was exactly my point, at the end of my post. Many men's criteria, especially when young, are too dominated by their hormones.

Yes, all true. Women need to have the strength to leave, but they don't always have the means. Women need to have a secret emergency fund, in case leaving becomes necessary. In the old days, some women would stash away part of their monthly grocery budget, or whatever, just in case.
Ruth....I hope you are not serious about just having a secret emergency fund. As women...we should all be able to support ourselves.......it's not the old days anymore.....

Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 AM

473 posts, read 865,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I despise those horrible mid-calf, basketball clown trunks that males wear to the beach or pools.
I too like the little tight fitting speedos on average males .. obviously some discretion is required here, but you know what I mean.

And nature, in all it's weirdness, made me a gay woman!

Go figure.
Agree. Any length wet shorts clinging to your legs getting out of the water are not comfortable, nor conducive for sunbathing. It's not the bathing suit that makes anyone unattractive, but people want to go to the beach or pool to exercise/relax/sunbathe too, not just look at eye candy.

This thread has already derailed, but on a similar side note, we live in a society that is accepting of children being raised as the opposite sex or gender neutral, but Speedos still bother some people.

And to the poster who asked about speedos as "underwear when wet after swimming' They dry pretty fast outdoors, but otherwise you just pack a spare pair of undies or go commando.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM

79,384 posts, read 71,687,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ruth....I hope you are not serious about just having a secret emergency fund. As women...we should all be able to support ourselves.......it's not the old days anymore.....
I was talking about the SAHM's, and other stay-at-home wives. There's no need to mention working women, because most would have the means to pay for an escape, unless they're supporting a family on one paycheck, or are otherwise living on a tight budget.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM

1,423 posts, read 334,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was talking about the SAHM's, and other stay-at-home wives. There's no need to mention working women, because most would have the means to pay for an escape, unless they're supporting a family on one paycheck, or are otherwise living on a tight budget.
SAHM's should have careers before they decide to be a SAHM in this day & age.......all women need to be able to support themselves ..........

Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 413,707 times
The only place speedos have not been "acceptable" (which is undefined) is in the minds of stereotypical insecure Amerikan prudes and old farts who get their jammers in a knot over how other people live their lives (this includes most of C-D's forum user base). It's strictly an Amerikkkan thing.

If you like it, rock it. If somebody gives you grief, they're the ones with the problem.

Personally I don't like bathrobes. I'll wear boardshorts over my jammer or brief and a T (or tank) and ditch them when I get to the pool, if the area is paranoid-conservative enough to warrant it.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM

8,450 posts, read 6,326,857 times
At a lap pool I would expect to see them. Just like Id expect a person on a serious road bike wearing shoes that clip to the pedals. At a recreational pool or beach? Not in this country.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM

3,736 posts, read 1,640,900 times
I think Speedos are just fine. As mentioned, I usually look away but who cares. Be comfortable.

What I think look stupid are the long board shorts. Who wants to swim in those? Can't get tan legs either. I hope that fashion goes away, and the short-trunks of Baywatch come back!

Yeah, guys, we enjoy your toned legs like you enjoy ours. But not looking between 'em.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:50 PM

3,736 posts, read 1,640,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
One of our former Prime Ministers was notorious for being photographed in his Speedos. In his defence, he was/is active as a Surf Life Saver and it seems they are the competition uniform. I certainly would not like to see our current PM in speedos, though really we see them at the beach all the time.
Egads! But good for your former PM. He was probably pretty fit, right?

I can't even bear to imagine the orange bulbous "PM" in the U.S. in ANY swim garb--but a Speedo? Yikes.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:24 PM

12,432 posts, read 7,617,954 times
People tend to forget that until the full acceptance of the two-piece women's swimsuit in the Sixties, it was the men, particularly those of high school and college age, who wore two articles of clothing at pools or beaches -- one for coverage, and one for "support' for what you ladies now call our "junk". Those towels used to wrap a wet swimsuit at pool locker rooms usually held a jockstrap as well as swim trunks, and the entire ensemble was still both somewhat more brief and lighter in weight than the tents called "board shorts" of present-day fashion.

The issue seems to have become confused around the same time as the emergence of the bikini for women, and both the sexual revolution and the rise of "gay liberation" seems to have made it more complex. In his work The Arena of Masculinity, openly gay author Brian Pronger pointed out that the use of a supporter for secondary school Phys Ed and athletic programs "represents a rite of passage", just as does the first use of bras for teen (and increasingly, for subteen) girls.

Just something to ponder. Personally, my preference for the sleek fit of a speedo ended sometime in my fifties, but I opt for "compression sorts" and the "jammer" length that doesn't go too far down the thigh -- just as in 1965 When, for the record, I was sixteen, and somewhat f a "late bloomer". It makes more sense to me than the board shorts often imposed upon teen males by over-protective "smother" Mommas heading (and sometimes seeking to dominate) single-parent households.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-27-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty