Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:40 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Swimming in a competition is completely different. At a public pool or at the beach, yes it looks gay.
I don't think it looks gay. I think it looks like a guy who thinks he's hot, and wants to strut his stuff. Presumably, that's one reason they're popular in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
I swam all through HS , back when I was fit. We wore Speedo's an they were the most uncomfortable things ever... even then, outside of swimming I never wore them, mostly because of that reason. If I had something to be really proud of, my young self would have just for the shock value.

Now being 50, and fat... I for sure wouldn't wear them. Board shorts for me. It's bad enough I most likely disgust people when I take my shirt off, why would I make it worse ?

Again though, if I was gifted...I probably would...Lol

Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I swam all through HS , back when I was fit. We wore Speedo's an they were the most uncomfortable things ever... even then, outside of swimming I never wore them, mostly because of that reason. If I had something to be really proud of, my young self would have just for the shock value.

Now being 50, and fat... I for sure wouldn't wear them. Board shorts for me. It's bad enough I most likely disgust people when I take my shirt off, why would I make it worse ?

Again though, if I was gifted...I probably would...Lol
Appreciate your honesty and respect for your fellow man

If I was overweight, there is no way in hell that I'd ever contemplate wearing speedos either. Yes, me feeling comfortable enough to wear them in such a state would say a lot about my high self esteem (and yada yada), but I'm also concerned about what I'd be putting on others

Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM

377 posts, read 469,728 times
In my dreams, ChessieMom. I wear a reasonable bikini but one of my friends told me that a bikini isn't acceptable after my 30's. I just don't wear it around her now (or when I put on a few pounds and it doesn't look okay).

I think the more traveling one does, the more variety one sees regularly. The pushback often comes from people who only know what they see nearby.

There is a local gentleman who is proud of his Scottish heritage and wears a kilt to formal functions. He clearly stands out as different but I look for him when I go, because he wears it confidently and it looks good on him. Cultural diversity can be good, as long as it doesn't step on others' moral values.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Just a heads up..I did some reading of Mr Jesters posts..

We are arguing with a very young guy..he admits he in in college at UCDavis...even if a grad student he is at most 25

Many of us are grandma age..yet we are arguing with a very lonely..zi think...kid

Mr Jester needs a social group his own age I think

Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Serious male swimmers wear speedos... so competitive male swimmers look gay and turn off girls?
It's like men wearing leggings/yoga pants/whatever you want to call it. If he's running on a chilly morning, no one thinks twice about it. If he's wearing them with a cashmere sweater at a bar...

No one would think twice about a man wearing a speedo while he's working out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Then how come in Europe, you'll see lots of straight guys wearing speedos at the public pool and beach? No one seems to think it looks gay.
Different countries things are different. It is what it is.
Some countries men wear robes.
Some countries women are expected to cover their faces.
In Italy you wouldn't see men out and about wearing shorts.
In Germany you wouldn't look twice at someone wearing socks and sandals.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's like men wearing leggings/yoga pants/whatever you want to call it. If he's running on a chilly morning, no one thinks twice about it. If he's wearing them with a cashmere sweater at a bar...

No one would think twice about a man wearing a speedo while he's working out.

Different countries things are different. It is what it is.
Some countries men wear robes.
Some countries women are expected to cover their faces.
In Italy you wouldn't see men out and about wearing shorts.
In Germany you wouldn't look twice at someone wearing socks and sandals.
I have never been in a gym where men wear speedos!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:32 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I sure hope so.

I am the master of the discreet stare.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
I hope not. I prefer chicks with thongs not dudes.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Yes and no.

I have noticed in the last couple of years a marked increase in the number of brands selling "square cut" trunks (think what you'd see on a beach in the 60s or Daniel Craig as James Bond). Of course, they're usually relatively expensive at $50-200+ per suit.

On the other hand, 75% of US adults are overweight or obese, and speedos/square cuts are largely seen as acceptable for only the nearly or actually perfect.

If the beach is popular with the affluent, gym-going urban professional, then I'd wager they are becoming more acceptable. The local pool in biscuit-and-gravy country is a different story.

On a personal note, I do swim laps at mine. Because I order my speedos (funky trunks is the brand) from Australia, I don't bring them to the beach (the sand isn't ideal for the fabric).

I'd also like to see the women on this thread refuse a good time with one of those gents (usually Aussie olympic swimmers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty