Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,905,085 times

Advertisements

I swim at the lap pool at a university, and most guys wear speedos or jammers. I like wearing speedos because there's less drag, your legs dry quicker, and you can wear it as underwear before going to the pool. Then there's a larger recreational pool right next to the lap pool, where a lot of families will go to. Now most of the guys in the rec pool wear trunks, but you'll also see some guys in speedos (saw a woman with her husband and their school-aged son in speedos; the dad was from Europe but the kid looks like he was born here.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm in California, so we're less conservatively dressed (even female lap swimmers often wear string bikinis--I always thought typically female lap swimmers would prefer one-pieces because one-pieces are more streamlined). But ten years ago, speedos were a running joke among guys, now no one minds if you wear one.

A side question: do people wear bathrobes over their bathing suits at your pool? I only have a calf-length bathrobe (the pajamas kind), but since it's solid dark blue and made of terrycloth, it also seems pool-appropriate. I wear one because I'm sensitive to the cold, but usually I'm the only one wearing a bathrobe, although some might wear swim parkas. Also seems like ladies tend to wear bathrobes to the pool more than men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:58 AM

23,864 posts, read 32,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I swim at the lap pool at a university, and most guys wear speedos or jammers. I like wearing speedos because there's less drag, your legs dry quicker, and you can wear it as underwear before going to the pool. Then there's a larger recreational pool right next to the lap pool, where a lot of families will go to. Now most of the guys in the rec pool wear trunks, but you'll also see some guys in speedos (saw a woman with her husband and their school-aged son in speedos; the dad was from Europe but the kid looks like he was born here.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm in California, so we're less conservatively dressed (even female lap swimmers often wear string bikinis--I always thought typically female lap swimmers would prefer one-pieces because one-pieces are more streamlined). But ten years ago, speedos were a running joke among guys, now no one minds if you wear one.

A side question: do people wear bathrobes over their bathing suits at your pool? I only have a calf-length bathrobe (the pajamas kind), but since it's solid dark blue and made of terrycloth, it also seems pool-appropriate. I wear one because I'm sensitive to the cold, but usually I'm the only one wearing a bathrobe, although some might wear swim parkas. Also seems like ladies tend to wear bathrobes to the pool more than men.

"Are Speedos becoming more acceptable?"

Not on my watch.

I go to a pool at a family oriented country club approximately three days per week in Summer. I have never seen a man this Summer, last, or the four before in Speedos or Speedo type swim suits.

Similarly, I do not see women, of any age in thongs or overly revealing bathing suits. I am including in both, individuals between 15 and 75 or better - in anything but swim trunks and women in stylish, but not overly revealing swim suits.

So, no. And I am glad.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 AM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm a lap swimmer who's been been wearing Speedos for more than a decade in CA. I didn't know they were a running joke, but maybe I just don't care. Or maybe it's because I'm gay and gay men love speedos, lol.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:42 AM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
They're the thing to wear at the annual Santa Speedo Run in Boston.

https://billbrettboston.com/santa-speedo-run-2018/

I don't think anyone cares if you're swimming laps. The family pool is a different matter. There's more lounging than swimming.

The terrycloth robe is fine.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,497,220 times
Personally I don’t like to see any man in a speedo but understand that for competitive swimming it is the way to go. I mainly see European men in speedos when we travel and frankly, I have to look away when I see some middle aged or old man with a gut in a speedo. But then, I don’t think it’s a good look for any man. If that is what you feel comfortable in, it shouldn’t matter what others opinions are. Robes around a pool? Never seen that.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:51 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,268,488 times
One of our former Prime Ministers was notorious for being photographed in his Speedos. In his defence, he was/is active as a Surf Life Saver and it seems they are the competition uniform. I certainly would not like to see our current PM in speedos, though really we see them at the beach all the time.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 AM

I myself am slender and have been told I have nice, long legs for my height. I'm straight, and seems like straight guys wear speedos at my lap pool (and even in the rec pool), too.

So why don't speedos look good? Don't ladies want to see their guy friends in their underwear? Is it because it looks like a girl's panties? Or a bikini bottom? Don't ladies want to see a man's legs if he has long, slender legs? I shave my legs and armpits, too (to reduce drag).

Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Are Speedos becoming more acceptable?"

Not on my watch.

I go to a pool at a family oriented country club approximately three days per week in Summer. I have never seen a man this Summer, last, or the four before in Speedos or Speedo type swim suits.

Similarly, I do not see women, of any age in thongs or overly revealing bathing suits. I am including in both, individuals between 15 and 75 or better - in anything but swim trunks and women in stylish, but not overly revealing swim suits.

So, no. And I am glad.
The women don't wear bikinis, either? 10 years ago, as a boy, I took swim lessons with other kids. There was this girl a couple years younger than me in my class who always wore bikinis, including a thong bikini with a miniskirt.

My female friend (straight, but a tomboy) and I went to the lap pool. Was surprised to see her bathing suit was a tank top and a knee-length skirt (she said she hates wearing skirts otherwise but is ok with skirts when swimming because she doesn't like bikini bottoms). Kind of felt funny that I (and the other guys at the pool) were showing more of our legs than she was, but she didn't mind.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 AM

14,185 posts, read 11,436,224 times
I don't go to the pool much, but I am at the beach (in Orange County) fairly often, and the only people I see wearing Speedos are old, out-of-shape men. I am only speaking for myself but the only people, male or female, who really look good in the absolute minimum of clothing, are the young, slim, and fit.

That doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't wear Speedos at the beach, it's just that they shouldn't be surprised if other people find it unsightly. I don't want to see an old, out-of-shape woman wearing a string bikini either, but if she doesn't care, she should wear it, it is absolutely her right. I can look away.

Since you asked, and as a straight woman I feel qualified to answer this, women as a whole are not as visually oriented as men, and they tend not to fixate on genitalia. Your average woman is not nearly as interested in staring at an average man in a Speedo, as men are in gazing at even average women in bikinis. In fact, they are inclined to look the other way unless the man is actually model-worthy.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,433,746 times
Grape smugglers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty