Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I don't want to be rude but I must mention that none of the doctors mentioned in goldengrain's post, except possibly Dr. Baker, have ever been discussed on the rhinoplasty board which I have been active on for three years. The names I've listed are the doctors to consider. Rhinoplasty4you is such an invaluable resource; I encourage anyone who is seriously thinking of getting a nosejob to check it out before even scheduling any consults. Many of the people on this board have had several nose jobs and have the scoop on which doctors are currently doing the best nose jobs. Just because a doctor is listed on as a "best doctor of New York" means nothing.
Since I am an avid reader of New York Magazine, I indiscriminately chose my doctor from that list. Looking back, I wish I had been more thorough in my search since the initial results don't match up to the end results. I was noticing that my nose was becoming progressively bigger and less refined, particularly the lower portion of the nose. I think it's integral to keep in mind that a doctor with a good publicist is not necessarily the best and may be entirely misrepresented.

The doctor I chose was highly qualified, was listed as a top doctor in Castle Connelly (a very reliable source from what I understand) and is currently the president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I'm assuming he invested a lot in a publicist because the end results failed to meet my expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Default Dr. Richard D'Amico

Just two months ago, I underwent a nose job prior to the start of college. The doctor who performed the surgery is highly qualified, was listed as a top doctor in Castle Connelly (a very reliable source from what I understand) and is the president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I was very pleased with the initial result of my nose job and noticed that while it had diminished in size over the course of a month, the tip had changed and was becoming progressively bigger and less refined. I don't know if kissing my boyfriend could have caused this trauma. Also, rather recently someone hit into my nose at a frat party. I was extremely angered by the incident and have found myself picking at my nose incessantly, trying to ensure that it's refined form remain intact. This has only caused more trauma to the nose, I felt a crunching sensation when I was touching it a couple of times and I think the artificial cartilage may've disappeared. Now the lower half of my nose is squishy and I'm having difficulty breathing. I cannot stop touching it. I do not know what to do. Will my nose go back to the way it was before I got the surgery? Do you think I will need another nose job? Will the cartilage ever grow back? Do you think my nose is merely swollen? If so, what do you think they would do about the cartilage? Is there a way to get the cartilage back without undergoing surgery? Do you recommend non surgical surgery since I am content with my nose's bone structure? Keep in mind, I am a college student and have limited funds. Also, I have asked several of my peers if they noticed a significant difference in the aesthetics of my nose; everybody tells me it looks the same. But I know that it has changed from hours of scrutiny.

Now nearly six months have gone by and I cannot even begin to explain how mortified I am by the results. I cannot believe I threw away $8,000 on the revolting atrocity that is on my face. Now no boys will date me, I have been shunned by my friends who once glorified me, and I have essentially been deemed a leper of the community with my hideous physiognomy. The entirety of my nose has shifted downwards, compromising the harmony of my face, completely out of proportion with my other facial features. I cannot pass a mirror without crying, I am just about ready to take a knife and chop off the undesired parts of my nose. This is not what a nose job is supposed to look like. My friends (the ones who can tolerate the deformed contours of my face) accuse me of being cheap and going to a amateur surgeon , when on the contrary I sought out who I thought was the most qualified, experience surgeon in the tri-state area.

I am looking forward to my second procedure (granted all goes according to plan). Until then, I simply don't know how I will cope in a world where if you are not a WASPy blonde with a boob job, you have an obligation to be pretty. I will just be a hermit and remain within the confines of my dorm, which to me is more like a penitentiary.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I don't want to be rude but I must mention that none of the doctors mentioned in goldengrain's post, except possibly Dr. Baker, have ever been discussed on the rhinoplasty board which I have been active on for three years. The names I've listed are the doctors to consider. Rhinoplasty4you is such an invaluable resource; I encourage anyone who is seriously thinking of getting a nosejob to check it out before even scheduling any consults. Many of the people on this board have had several nose jobs and have the scoop on which doctors are currently doing the best nose jobs. Just because a doctor is listed on as a "best doctor of New York" means nothing.
You are right. I heard Dr. Baker isn't so great from other people.......................

Make me heal message boards..........google it..All the women have had some kind of plastic surgery done.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
You are right. I heard Dr. Baker isn't so great from other people.......................

Make me heal message boards..........google it..All the women have had some kind of plastic surgery done.
I think people who make their living on their looks probably vet out the best, and even they make errors. Socialites and people with the big bucks will not tolerate a lousy job, are quick to sue, and can easily ruin a doctor's reputation. If you are in front of cameras a lot you can sue because your livelyhood depends on your appearance.

If you or I go to a doctor, what can we do? Because the surgery is asthetic there is no ground for a lawsuit unless it is totally botched. Can you get into people magazine and reach the public to warn them of the quack? I doubt it.

There are a number of forums dealing with plastic surgery, which are good input into the decision, but I have, just a few times, thought the person posting could have been the doctor's wife or receptionist, the praise was so great.

I would have to believe that if a doctor is on Park Ave or in the Lenox Hill neighborhood, and has practiced there for a long time somebody must think he's worth the money - he'd have to be doing at least halfway good work to afford the rent. Of course, you still run the risk that he may have recently become a drug addict.

With this sort of surgery you are really taking a chance, but keep in mind that we usually hear of the heartaches. I know people whom I am certain have had work done, but will never admit it and they look great. It is interesting to compare 'new' faces with others in the same family.

I have noticed in some fields that some of the biggest names have some of the crummiest web sites. They get all the business they need by word of mouth and don't need to advertise. Just as an aside, there are some great hospitals in my area and some horrid ones. To hear the ads for the bad ones, you would think that they are the best on the coast.

There seems to be a tendancy, looking at websites, of the East to present facts and be more clinical and the West to try to lure you in with fantasys of turning you into a nymphette. I, for one, do not trust emotional appeals.

I cannot argue about who the best doctor is. That would take a lot more expertise than I have, and I would think I would have to have access to all the work that a doctor had done in a certain time frame.

Skin, with age, reaches a point in which elasticity diminishes. I have seen some women who are older and have the money and can afford 'the best' and after a bit of time, with all the touchups you can tell that they've had work when you compare them to a twenty-something. To my way of thinking is that they are probably ninety percent improved over how they would look if they had never had those procedures.

I would advise a person to search all the info that is available to them and try to select someone or make a list, not considering the money. Then save like heck for the person on the top of the list.

Another thought.
You can pay many medical facilities on installments, after the work is done. I don't think this happens with plastic surgery. Maybe there is a reason for that - not everyone is happy.

Not that I would recommend it, but there are schools where they teach this stuff and they probably give great discounts to people. Some really great work is probably being done out of the country, like Brazil, but I would not know how to research that.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-03-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM

I have an obligation to myself and my peers to look flawless at all times. Many of my friends are NYC socialites (one was recently featured in the NYMag). I am not an ordinary individual, as you so bluntly put it. I am bound to become something, make something of myself that will award me considerable recognition.
And yes, I have the resources and the connections to severely damage the reputation of my plastic surgeon. I have ties to the editor of the NYTimes, New Yorker, all the major publications, access to the best attorneys in the city, so I'm sorry Goldengrain, you are wrong on that account.

And I would never set foot in Brazil period, or at least not without a bullet-proof car. I hear Thailand is the place to go for cheap plastic surgery, but then again Thailand is the place to go for cheap everything.

And can you please elaborate on this supposed Board you claim to be affiliated with?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Look, I'm just posting here, giving opinions and stating that this is a world that is 'iffy' at best for m.
I see no reason to get defensive or aggressive about this stuff.
I will take you at your word, that you are as you represent yourself and just agree with you totally about everything you say, because anything short of that seems to be interpreted as an invitation to argue.
You are right, I am wrong.
Hope that soothes your disposition.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
I wouldn't mind a body lift! How nice it would be to be wealthy enough to have a nip, tuck, lift, liposuction job done here, there, a little everywhere and go from 41 to looking 21 ... LOL!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the rep, whoever you are!

Every generation needs a new revolution.” Thomas Jefferson
“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Howard Zinn

Subject: Fwd: FW: IMPORTANT REMINDERS- Cell phone numbers go public next month.
I thought this important enough to pass along.

REMINDER:
Cell phone numbers go public next month.
All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing
companies, and
you will start to receive sales solicitation calls.

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:

888-382-1222.

It is the National Do Not Call list.
It blocks your number for five (5) years.
You must call from the phone number you want to have blocked.
You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM

It's getting progressively worse.
As of right now, I actually look like Cyrano de Bergerac

Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofestation View Post
I have an obligation to myself and my peers to look flawless at all times. Many of my friends are NYC socialites (one was recently featured in the NYMag). I am not an ordinary individual, as you so bluntly put it. I am bound to become something, make something of myself that will award me considerable recognition.
And yes, I have the resources and the connections to severely damage the reputation of my plastic surgeon. I have ties to the editor of the NYTimes, New Yorker, all the major publications, access to the best attorneys in the city, so I'm sorry Goldengrain, you are wrong on that account.

And I would never set foot in Brazil period, or at least not without a bullet-proof car. I hear Thailand is the place to go for cheap plastic surgery, but then again Thailand is the place to go for cheap everything.

And can you please elaborate on this supposed Board you claim to be affiliated with?

I think Thailand is where you go for a cheap sex change operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty