U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 01:04 AM

18,880 posts, read 23,769,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm curious if anyone else (men or women) now carries a smaller bag, briefcase, or backpack than they used to.

I can remember at a previous job I carried a backpack everyday. The bag I carry now is no bigger than the small bag on the front part of a standard sized backpack (if you were able to take it off by itself). But the funny thing is, I can't remember what I used to even use the bag for. At one point I even bought a newer one. It wasn't because the first one wore out. I just wanted a slightly larger one with more pockets and organizers inside.

But I still have no idea what I used it for. I never took my lunch to work. I didn't ride the bus. I didn't have papers or materials that I carried to and from work or anything like that. I didn't carry a music player of any kind. Basically just junk I guess.

Does anyone else remember carrying more stuff in the past?
Yes I did. I carried larger purses - especially in the 80s and 90s. Larger bags were stylish and available, so I went along with the trend,

Now I carry half to one third of what I once did. Purses seem to be smaller and more constructed than they were back then.

I REALLY dislike huge, unstructured "Ho-Bo" bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,444,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I REALLY dislike huge, unstructured "Ho-Bo" bags.

Love 'em! And, they were the trend in the 70s also. One of the reason Frye is popular. They're a throwback at 25x's the price.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 AM

10,998 posts, read 13,059,232 times
I wonder if maybe people used to carry around more books and reading materials.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 AM

1,455 posts, read 481,708 times
I just buy jeans with a schosh more room.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:30 AM

5,865 posts, read 5,028,909 times
When I lived in the mountains and in Search and rescue my pack weighed about 70 LBS and typically I'd carry that all night long during a search. It was necessary to keep it with me at all times seeing team or private events were not planned.
Not in the mountains anymore but I carry a large swiss army computer backpack and it weighs about 40 LBS.
Being retired you wouldn't think a person needed that much but I know the value of being prepared. And it does come in handy both for me and those I care for.
Once a week I dismantle the whole thing and reassess the content and replace the spent for new. I am not ready for anything but I believe I am ready for most things.
There are some supplies I keep in my vehicles SOP and even those are reassessed from time to time especially in the change of season.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:11 PM

6,989 posts, read 2,561,858 times
Yes, I used to carry a bigger bag, which made me fill it up and then it became heavy, and I just lugged that thing around town weighing like 20 pounds, well feels like it. Now, I carry a non-leather smaller bag and it's lighter and so much more comfortable. I think a lot of people are carrying non-leather bags now and opting for lighter material.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:12 PM

6,989 posts, read 2,561,858 times
The only reason to carry a heavy bag is if we were going to the desert and having to carry water supplies.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 PM

25,897 posts, read 24,762,272 times
I used to carry a very large bag. I had enough stuff in there to survive for a few days.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:22 PM

1,907 posts, read 452,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used to carry a very large bag. I had enough stuff in there to survive for a few days.
Mine doesn’t have too much because it wouldn’t be slouchy if it’s too packed....& it would be too heavy to carry on my shoulder....but I have a friend that has twin girls & at lunch she pulled out her wallet & out came a jump rope with it......& her girls were in school...

Old 10-05-2019, 11:21 PM

25,897 posts, read 24,762,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Mine doesn’t have too much because it wouldn’t be slouchy if it’s too packed....& it would be too heavy to carry on my shoulder....but I have a friend that has twin girls & at lunch she pulled out her wallet & out came a jump rope with it......& her girls were in school...
That was me. I had a tiny solar blanket pack, emergency rain poncho pack - these things were about 4" square - a tiny first aid kit, tissues, wet wipes, over the counter medications in a tiny organized container, snacks, and water. Of course I had a Multi-tool and a lighter. If anyone asked me if I had anything, I usually did.

You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or