U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a woman, have you ever borrowed clothes (for yourself) from someone?
No, never 19 45.24%
Yes, a few times 12 28.57%
Yes, and more than a few times 8 19.05%
I'm not a woman and just wasted time voting 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 01:00 PM

15,880 posts, read 27,049,902 times

Advertisements

My wife says when she was younger, teen and into her 20's that it happened a lot. My daughter is 13 and it happens with others borrowing her clothes or her borrowing her moms clothes.

Funny thing: When a man says he has nothing to wear, he has to do the laundry. When a woman says she has nothing to wear, she means nothing that she would wear a second time with something else she owns. My wife told me that in her 20's when she was going out she always bought something new for a club or borrowed from a cousin or friend. Her cousins said the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:38 PM

154 posts, read 54,314 times
I've never borrowed or (voluntarily) loaned clothes. however, I do think when women are younger, they may borrow or loan clothing - more likely special occasional attire that is often worn or needed infrequently. With any luck, as you get older, you can better afford to purchase what you need and are less likely to need to borrow or to loan.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,041,322 times
I never borrowed or loan clothes because my mother was super religious and she would say other people are dirty never , ever borrow clothes from anyone . I remember one time , one of my friends mother bought us matching dresses and my mother hit the roof and I got grounded and she told that girl and her mother off . I did not have many friends because my mother thought most people were Godless if they did not belong to our church then they could not be friends .Very unhappy child hood and when I got attacked at my sisters house it was my fault we must have been doing something Godless .

Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 PM

17,488 posts, read 17,773,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister borrowed some of my clothes when she was interviewing for jobs after college and needed dressy clothes. When she was done with my clothes, she donated them to Goodwill. I've never loaned her anything since then.
Your sister was a real jerk to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I never borrowed or loan clothes because my mother was super religious and she would say other people are dirty never , ever borrow clothes from anyone . I remember one time , one of my friends mother bought us matching dresses and my mother hit the roof and I got grounded and she told that girl and her mother off . I did not have many friends because my mother thought most people were Godless if they did not belong to our church then they could not be friends .Very unhappy child hood and when I got attacked at my sisters house it was my fault we must have been doing something Godless .
Your mother was a real jerk to do those things.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:40 PM

36,975 posts, read 42,524,951 times
Very frequent, but with my mom and sister when we were all the same size and living in the same area.

Never, outside of family.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:17 PM

740 posts, read 229,567 times
My mom, sister, and I shared certain items of clothing rather often when we were still living under the same roof. I'm taller than my sister and we're both considerably taller than our mother, but all three of us share the same general fine boned, small-breasted build so we were able to share tops, jackets and some dresses and skirts. We'd also frequently borrow each others purses and jewelry.

When I was in high school, a few of my friends used to borrow each other clothes on occasion (usually tops and blouses). Now that we're older and some of us are now different sizes, that doesn't happen as much, although I have loaned my high school best friend a jacket when she was at my home for a a visit.

My mother and I still tend to raid each other's closets for tops, scarves, and jackets when we visit one another and when we've traveled together over the years. Thank goodness for a mother with a great sense of style, right?

P.S. My mother, sister, and I are all intro/ambiverts, with me being the most introverted of the three of us. We all love beautiful, well-made clothing; my mother is a skilled seamstress. In my experience and in those of my peers, personality type had nothing to do with why we shared certain items of clothing. It's just what we did, although we always asked if we could borrow whatever we wanted before we took it--especially when it came to borrowing from my sister as she could be a bit territorial with her clothing.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-05-2019 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 12:04 AM

6 posts, read 913 times
I raided my parents' closet when I was a girl. Now I raid my husband's closet. I'm wearing one of his shirts now. I often cross-dress at home, and sometimes when I go the gym.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 1,842,022 times
My sister and I have always worn about the same size but we have a different body type. She has long legs and I have a long torso. We can wear a few things that are similar- like jeans or t-shirts, but with dresses and nicer tops, usually what looks horrible will look great on her and vice versa. We can also borrow jackets and whatnot. I had a few friends borrow clothes from me in college (one was a guy who borrowed a dress or two), but I recall only borrowing something once or twice after that.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

10,848 posts, read 5,092,122 times
Only with my sister when we were teenagers and my mother when I moved to NY from FL and didn't have any cold weather clothes. I'm too much of a germaphobe to borrow other people's clothes anymore.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 347,909 times
I don’t think it’s a thing for friends.....but my sister used to “borrow”....(steal)...my clothes. Come to think of it...she probably still would if we lived closer......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or