U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,439,118 times

Advertisements

I'm 51 & I never have; still not; 'suffering' wrinkles. What I AM concerned about is the gradual bone loss that affects the facial structure under the skin.

Tooth extractions should be replaced with implants ideally, ASAP but I'm not able to afford them. This should really be covered by insurance because it does impact overall health. Facial bones are not 'weight-bearing' bones & I think the bone loss is actually what causes wrinkles & sagging, pouching skin.

My Mediterranean skin is pretty resilient to age but I have a strong family history of osteoporosis & I've had a LOT of kids, which is also a risk factor for facial bone loss. There was an 'old wives' tale: "For every baby a tooth" & that does have a scientific basis, due to the nutritional demands of pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:08 AM

8,025 posts, read 4,547,248 times
I couldn't agree more. Why dental health (we use our teeth to eat food, and infected/decayed teeth lead to heart disease and other systemic health problems) isn't treated like any other aspect of health is beyond me... Insurance pays for chiropractic -- they're not even M.D.s -- and equine therapy, but not abscessed or missing teeth? Ridiculous.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:02 AM

6,976 posts, read 4,327,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm 51 & I never have; still not; 'suffering' wrinkles. What I AM concerned about is the gradual bone loss that affects the facial structure under the skin.

Tooth extractions should be replaced with implants ideally, ASAP but I'm not able to afford them. This should really be covered by insurance because it does impact overall health. Facial bones are not 'weight-bearing' bones & I think the bone loss is actually what causes wrinkles & sagging, pouching skin.

My Mediterranean skin is pretty resilient to age but I have a strong family history of osteoporosis & I've had a LOT of kids, which is also a risk factor for facial bone loss. There was an 'old wives' tale: "For every baby a tooth" & that does have a scientific basis, due to the nutritional demands of pregnancy.
Interesting; this was news to me, but it sounds like you're on to something. This wrinkle topic has arisen before on C-D, and I'm skeptical of the reports from 70- and even 80-year-olds claiming "no wrinkles"--I've never seen anyone that age without lines on their face--but even if it were true, we all know they still would not look like they were 30. The bone loss theory makes sense.

I've been lucky that the only teeth I've lost so far were wisdom teeth, and dentists assured me that "they make no difference" and "you didn't need them anyway." That may or may not be true, but I couldn't agree more that replacing other teeth should be considered medically necessary and covered by insurance.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM

6,577 posts, read 3,058,685 times
I was 5.
Went swimming. Got "dinkles" .
Fascinated me how the skin can shrink..tan..discolor..be dry..oily.
Wrinkles aren't worth tossing all these marketing chemicals at. It's genetic...it's part of my heritage to age and have certain organs be less functional. Skin is an organ that seems to get alot of attention ...

Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 AM

1,560 posts, read 363,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I was 5.
Went swimming. Got "dinkles" .
Fascinated me how the skin can shrink..tan..discolor..be dry..oily.
Wrinkles aren't worth tossing all these marketing chemicals at. It's genetic...it's part of my heritage to age and have certain organs be less functional. Skin is an organ that seems to get alot of attention ...
Good skin care is for healthy & smooth skin tho.......not because we think we are gonna stop wrinkles from happening when we get older.....

The stuff that can prevent the amount of wrinkles....is still sunscreens & avoiding the midday sun....& donít smoke. These things damage the skin.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

373 posts, read 164,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Seems as if most women worry about them sooner or later, if you're one of those what age did you start worrying about them, and did you do anything?
Since I was 14 years old!

When I hit 30, I started to think about skin sagging.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 21 times
At the of the '20s

Old Today, 12:21 AM

14,965 posts, read 10,953,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Seems as if most women worry about them sooner or later, if you're one of those what age did you start worrying about them, and did you do anything?
OP, just curious, are you worried about them? Are you a woman?

Old Today, 08:40 AM

1,560 posts, read 363,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Since I was 14 years old!

When I hit 30, I started to think about skin sagging.
Did you really start worrying about wrinkles at 14? I was worried about zits then......like most of my friends. Cleansing & toners....& making it a big crisis if we got a pimple! So stupid.......

Old Today, 10:40 AM

13,355 posts, read 9,050,586 times
As long as you are hydrated, eat healthy fats, moisturize your skin and stay out of the sun then your skin will stay health. Wrinkles is not just a sign of aging skin but damage due to lack of nutrients and drying. Sun damaged skin especially frequent burns is permanent and the dry scales will become permanent wrinkles. Which is why I don't know why people get tanned. It's burning your skin and there's no way to fix burnt skin once you are over 30 yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or