U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM
 
16,413 posts, read 14,012,760 times
Reputation: 22692

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A few years ago, an Australian news anchor (male) did an experiment where he wore the same suit every day to point out the difference between how men and women on TV are criticized for the way they dress: https://people.com/celebrity/karl-st...rotest-sexism/
Well, men in such a professional environment are expected to be plain, and not stand out regarding fashion, hence the criticism Obama got when he wore a tan suit.

So since men's fashion in such environment is pretty bland, no one really will notice the slight variations in cut and shades.

So in this case, I think men are the ones that get overly criticized if they dare deviate from such expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM
 
32 posts, read 14,348 times
Reputation: 69
The guy's an idiot, but as a woman, I can tell you women are FAR worse when it comes to critcizing other women regarding their hair/clothes/makeup/appearance. It doesn't matter if it's teen girls or women in their 50s, it never ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 PM
 
1,299 posts, read 364,084 times
Reputation: 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It's never too revealing/slutty.
Sure it is. If she's not pretty enough for the observer, if she's in the "wrong place" to wear "such things," if someone sexually harasses her, etc. Then instantly all the armchair judges come out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Admittedly, those pants are pretty unflattering, and probably wouldn't look good on anyone. Although I wouldn't go out of my way to write to her about it (We all get it wrong, sometimes), I don't understand how this is "body shaming." It was a rude insult about her lack of fashion sense.
Or, her "lack of fashion sense" in your opinion. It has no bearing on your life. Or his, so why he feels the need to comment on it (especially without putting his entire wardrobe out there for other people to see if they approve of), I don't know. She wear what she wants, I assume he wears what he wants, I assume you wear what you want, and other people's opinion shouldn't come into it because it's not their body or life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yes. That's what you said.

You didn't say "people". You didn't say "people of all genders." You didn't say "anonymous posters."

You said "men." By doing so, you explicitly shifted the topic from bad posting etiquette to Men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misandry
That's right. Because bad etiquette is bad etiquette, and then on top of that, once again we have a man thinking he gets to tell a woman what to do with her life and assuming he knows better as happens all the time. That's not misandry, that's society.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, men in such a professional environment are expected to be plain, and not stand out regarding fashion, hence the criticism Obama got when he wore a tan suit.

So since men's fashion in such environment is pretty bland, no one really will notice the slight variations in cut and shades.

So in this case, I think men are the ones that get overly criticized if they dare deviate from such expectations.
Possibly, but then if women want to keep their dress basic and plain, they get criticized for being boring and frumpy (good luck even finding clothes like that for women). So it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 PM
 
2,833 posts, read 778,722 times
Reputation: 5040
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Sure it is. If she's not pretty enough for the observer, if she's in the "wrong place" to wear "such things," if someone sexually harasses her, etc. Then instantly all the armchair judges come out.
Decaf, K12144. Try switching to decaf.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
That's right. Because bad etiquette is bad etiquette, and then on top of that, once again we have a man thinking he gets to tell a woman what to do with her life and assuming he knows better as happens all the time. That's not misandry, that's society.
That's misandry.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-13-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 AM
 
16,413 posts, read 14,012,760 times
Reputation: 22692
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post



Possibly, but then if women want to keep their dress basic and plain, they get criticized for being boring and frumpy (good luck even finding clothes like that for women). So it goes both ways.
My point is that everyone gets criticized, not just women. People just happen to notice her and not him because he did not dare deviate from the expectations of him. If he had worn a bright pink suit everyday, everyone would have noticed this, everyone would have criticized him for doing it on the first day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 04:18 AM
 
18,591 posts, read 23,936,439 times
Reputation: 35075
ok ladies......when you stop with the "oh look how cute/pretty/princess she is...and what beautiful clothes...oh I love those shirts/outfits!!

women do this to young girls...….not boys .. and girls feel its all about their appearance because that's what they hear so much ….

its all about looks.....appearances....
also how often have you heard the older ladies in the families.....aunts.... being hurtful ...again on comments to girls...especially about weight.....again with appearances..

and again...an office full of women......they hire a young thin flower in the middle of the old hens.....and she will be ripped apart about her appearance...//ive seen this many times...in fact dress codes have changed because of this …

when you ladies dismiss men and sigh...…...why are men still acting like cavemen objectifying women...…...what they wear …
you ladies do more than men


also how many married men lay out clothes for their wives to wear?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
it doesn't happen.....but millions of wives do this for men and will tell a hubby what to wear....when to wear and how to wear... all on appearance...

most men I know do not comment on high waisted pants we don't even know what they are...or want to know

women spend billions each year on cosmetics to enhance their looks.....,much much more than men.... again all on appearances... and if you think or want to think …..its only men doing the judging you are wrong.....
and here's an example.... one of your kids is getting married.... over half the women/mothers are all squirrely because..... ?????????? she needs to lose weight for the wedding...she needs to get the right dress...hpw does she look compared to her x's new wife or the grooms mother???????? this is women judging women...men don't care.....men do not do this.....

you want society to stop judging you on appearances.??? then women should stop ripping other women...

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-14-2019 at 04:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
23,046 posts, read 15,054,200 times
Reputation: 33125
It is not nearly as common today to train little girls to be “princesses.” I think your ideas about that are outdated.

Yes, however, to older ladies giving young, attractive women a hard time. I have witnessed it. But it us not the norm, at least in my experience working many years in mostly female workplaces.

But, equally bad is when a woman is harassed in a mostly make workplace, and we know that happens too.

The thing is, the guy who posted twice on her social media account about her choice in clothing, mentioning that she was “too pretty” for how she dressed, and that she was “uncomfortable” in her clothes, says more about himself than anything else. He likes the woman—that is plain. And he wants her to conform to his idea of feminine dress.

That is the problem. He thinks she should please him. He does not consider that she has agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,180 posts, read 1,750,988 times
Reputation: 3737
Not sure why this woman felt it necessary to respond to internet troll.

That said, IF you take a job as a presenter of TV news, you better be prepared for fools making comments about your appearance. Not endorsing what the guy said or did...but it comes with the territory.

A bit like a professional athlete complaining when the fans get irate when your team loses or you have a poor game. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Not a fan of Fox News or Fox Business but I recall Neil Cavuto (the Fox business reporter) reading viewer comments. One viewer told Cavuto he has a "big head"...as in literally too big for his body. To Cavuto's credit he read the comment out loud and didn't let it bother him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,547 posts, read 7,621,124 times
Reputation: 17024
Ok. Since it's been established here that what people wear is absolutely nobody's business and we have absolutely no right to say anything regarding clothing choices, I guess a compliment is off the table too. Right?? After all, we just need to shut up and mind our own damn business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Status: "A dingydongding blue moon" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
19,622 posts, read 21,146,315 times
Reputation: 14122
Why is it that we never see ugly news readers?

I want an anchor who looks more like an average American: obese, tattooed, with a green crewcut, wearing a sweatshirt with what appears to be a beach ball stuffed inside, and sweat pants showing a little rear cleavage. And a humongous tramp stamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top